TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
pL86

Tivo Server app crashes & Norton Internet Security 2012

I think Norton Internet Security 2012 is crashing the Tivo Server app on my 64-bit Windows 7 system. Tivo Server started to crash several weeks ago out of the blue. Yesterday, I clean reinstalled Windows 7, left it unpatched and un-upgraded and added only essential programs like Tivo Desktop, Bonjour and video card drivers. Minutes after installing and patching NIS 2012, Tivo Server began to crash.

I've been using NIS 2012 with Tivo Desktop for months and months without any problems so I know they used to run fine. I can only guess that a very recent update to NIS 2012 has introduced a conflict with the Tivo Server app. Unfortunately, the change seem to be part of the program - previous threads I found on these forums suggested firewalls conflicts was the problem but my crashes continue even after I add every component of Tivo software to the firewalls exceptions list.

Has anyone running NIS 2012 with Tivo Desktop had similar problems recently? I'm thinking of upgrading to NIS 2013 but I've stayed with the older version because of my dislike of some feature and interface changes made to the current version. Plus, given the fact the programs are so similar, I wouldn't be surprised if NIS 2013 had the same crashes. I am beginning to think my only option is to change antivirus software. Any other suggestions?
pL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pL86 View Post
I think Norton Internet Security 2012 is crashing the Tivo Server app on my 64-bit Windows 7 system. Tivo Server started to crash several weeks ago out of the blue. Yesterday, I clean reinstalled Windows 7, left it unpatched and un-upgraded and added only essential programs like Tivo Desktop, Bonjour and video card drivers. Minutes after installing and patching NIS 2012, Tivo Server began to crash.

I've been using NIS 2012 with Tivo Desktop for months and months without any problems so I know they used to run fine. I can only guess that a very recent update to NIS 2012 has introduced a conflict with the Tivo Server app. Unfortunately, the change seem to be part of the program - previous threads I found on these forums suggested firewalls conflicts was the problem but my crashes continue even after I add every component of Tivo software to the firewalls exceptions list.

Has anyone running NIS 2012 with Tivo Desktop had similar problems recently? I'm thinking of upgrading to NIS 2013 but I've stayed with the older version because of my dislike of some feature and interface changes made to the current version. Plus, given the fact the programs are so similar, I wouldn't be surprised if NIS 2013 had the same crashes. I am beginning to think my only option is to change antivirus software. Any other suggestions?

It's actually TiVo's fault.

Start here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501069

and then read this:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...63#post9527463

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
pL86

I'm aware of transfers failing because of the date - I had that problem and I've fixed it with the workaround. The problem detailed in this post is a completely different bug where the Tivo Server.exe crashes and Windows throws up an error message that looks like this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TiVoServer.exe
Application Version: 1.5.306.263
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: McMux.ax
Fault Module Version: 2.1.8936.61214
Fault Module Timestamp: 4581dc8a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000012e4
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

There are several old threads also about Tivo Server crashing but the advice and recommended workarounds in those threads aren't effective - the suggestions were to fiddle with network settings, reinstall Bonjour, switch to Beacon or make sure a firewall wasn't blocking Tivo software. I've tried all those steps and none of them stopped the crashes.

As I detailed in my initial post, I'm very confident this is a bug introduced by a recent update made to Norton Internet Security earlier this month based on the fact the crashes can be reproduced 100% of the time by installing NIS on an otherwise completely fresh install of Windows 7. I went ahead and posted about this in Symantec's forums to try to get their attention but they seem uninterested.

Last edited by pL86 : 02-21-2013 at 03:46 AM.
pL86 is offline   Reply With Quote