TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Fedhead

transfer Tivo recordings to Kindle Fire HD

I have a TivoHD and just got a Kindle Fire HD. Is there a way to transfer Tivo files to the Kindle so I can watch items on the Kindle? A google search shows some programs that you have to pay for to use. I do not not mind paying for something that works well. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
Fedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

TiVo is working on android support for streaming/transferring. Kindle runs on android, right?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
TiVo is working on android support for streaming/transferring. Kindle runs on android, right?
Yep, a amazon version of android but the problem they have is that they have a tivo hd and not a premiere. So, they have a lot of hurdles to over come.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedhead View Post
I have a TivoHD and just got a Kindle Fire HD. Is there a way to transfer Tivo files to the Kindle so I can watch items on the Kindle? A google search shows some programs that you have to pay for to use. I do not not mind paying for something that works well. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
kmttg is free. Use it to transfer shows(unless copy protected) to your PC and convert. You can then load them on the Kindle.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

VideoReDo can edit .tivo files and save them to a format that can be played on a Kindle Fire.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Yep, a amazon version of android but the problem they have is that they have a tivo hd and not a premiere. So, they have a lot of hurdles to over come.
Not "a lot". Just two. Kmttg coupled with tivodecode or VRD will fill the bill nicely on the TiVo side. I know nothing specific about transferring from the PC to the Kindle, which is the second hurdle.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
VideoReDo can edit .tivo files and save them to a format that can be played on a Kindle Fire.
I certainly do recommend VRD, but there are a few things the OP should know.

1. VRD does not do the transferring. He needs another utility for that. Kmttg is recommended.

2. VRD is a commercial product that costs money. It does have a 14 daye free trial.

3. If all the OP wants to do is transfer the recordings to the Kindle, unedited, then VRD is not necessary. Tivodecode will do the job of converting to a standard .mpg file on the fly, and it is a free utility.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
If all the OP wants to do is transfer the recordings to the Kindle, unedited, then VRD is not necessary. Tivodecode will do the job of converting to a standard .mpg file on the fly, and it is a free utility.
Does the Kindle play MPEG-2 video? I had one briefly but never tried playing MPEG-2. If it doesn't, and requires H.264 like most devices, then he will need to transcode the video as well. There are free utilities for that as well though.

Dan
Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Fedhead

According to the docs, the Kindle Fire HD will play MP4 files.

Thanks for the info above ... I have a lot to read thru.
Fedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
lrhorer

That's not the question. The question is, "Will it play MPEG-II (.mpg) files?" If not, you will need an additional step after tivodecode, or else you will need to use VRD instead of tivodecode.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I really don't think it does. So you'll likely need that extra recode step.

The best part about VideoReDo is that it can open .tivo files directly. So it does the decryption, editing and encoding to MP4 all in one step.

Dan
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

My 7" FireHD plays back my programs from my TiVo that I had VideoReDo change from .TiVo to .mpg. But it might be because of an app I have installed. Not sure.
And the playback is not as smooth as it should be but good enough to watch and in HD. But I do get the audio and video. The files I checked have DD 5.1 audio. Well at least that is what shows up when played on the TiVo with the .TiVo extension.

EDIT: Yes I must have some app installed on my 7" FireHD that allows me to play back the Mpeg2 files. I just tried on my 8.9" FireHD and it said that there was no application available for playback when I tried to play the same files.

The files might play better at a lower bitrate. The ones I tried show up as 1920x1080 MPEG2 at a 17Mb/s bitrate. They were recorded from Starz, Torchwood: Miracle Day. So it might play back smoother with a lower bitrate for MPEG2. I'll need to transfer some 720P recordings to that network share and see how they playback over the 7" FireHD.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 12-04-2012 at 01:21 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's pretty good that it plays a .mpg file at that resolution and bitrate. Most portable devices like this have dedicated hardware to decode H.264 video, but MPEG-2 decoding has to be done in the CPU and most don't have a powerful enough chip to decode in the CPU in real time. The FireHD must have a pretty good CPU to do that. Although beware that it will most likely cut your battery life significantly compared to playing the files H.264.

Dan