TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
dafish721

BIG problems with Comcast! Need advice.

Day 18... Have had Tivo since 2000 so I am pretty Tivo savy. Upgraded to 2 new Tivo premieres, 1 is XL4, after Tivo 3 HD froze. Since installing cable cards in the new Tivos I have been unable to get HBO on any of the channels. Called Comcast and had many technicians trouble shoot over the phone with no results. So far in the past 18 days I have made 23 phone calls, 5 tier 2 techs included, to Comcast and have had 5 different service techs in my house plus one supervisor. I have even returned the XL4 (premier elite) for a new one. Comcast finally has all channels including HBO working on the regular premier.

It gets worse... 4 days ago the XL4 has all channels black with no signal. Reran guided setup and got all channels back except HBO. 2 days ago lost all digital channels. Now I only receive NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX but no "extended basic" channels. 2 techs and a supervisor latter and still nothing. Tech just left after he had Comcast completely remove me as a customer and then add me as a new customer to wipe out all rate codes and the like and still only broadcast TV. TV upstairs still gets all channels just fine. I have gone through 6 cable cards including unpairing the one that works upstairs and repairing with the XL4 and no change. They say everything on their end is checking out fine. Only thing that is different since losing "extended basic" is that under the cable card menu under conditional access the Con used to say Yes and now is says No and the Val used to say V and now it says ?.

I live in the Chicagoland area. Does anyone else have cable cards that I can switch to and get rid of Comcast. Does AT&T?

Anyone else have this problem and know of a solution?
dafish721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
under the cable card menu under conditional access the Con used to say Yes and now is says No and the Val used to say V and now it says ?.
That's pretty much a sure sign that the card isn't paired properly. Do you get "Yes" and "V" on the working Premiere?
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Nobody else but RCN(?) has Cablecards. Your only alternative is OTA or AT&T SD with a* Series 2.

I dumped Comcast and made that leap. The UVerse whole house DVR is only second best to TiVo but way better than any other DVR. I'm saving a ton vs. Comcrap.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
dafish721

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
That's pretty much a sure sign that the card isn't paired properly. Do you get "Yes" and "V" on the working Premiere?
Yes the other tivo has Yes and V and is working fine.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
GoEagles

This will seem like a long shot, BUT, there was a recent issue with HBO encrypting their content that required HDCP, and certain TVs didn't implement this correctly in some TVs, or with older TVs that had HDMI.

I suspect you are hooking this up via compoent cable and the HBO scheme requires proper encryption or whatever via HDMI. I only mention because you mention HBO specificially.

Read this article:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-watch-hbo.ars

This may help or not, just something to throw out there. Yes, I know this involves DirecTV, but you MAY be affected by something like this possibly.

HTH
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Nobody else but RCN(?) has Cablecards. Your only alternative is OTA or AT&T SD with a* Series 2.
What the hell are you talking about?

All 'regular' cable providers provide cable cards -- Comcast, Verizon FIOS, Time Warner, etc.. There are some exceptions for VERY small cable companies, but it is generally an FCC requirement.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
Yes the other tivo has Yes and V and is working fine.
It's a Comcast problem. Somehow, they're not pairing the card correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

All 'regular' cable providers provide cable cards -- Comcast, Verizon FIOS, Time Warner, etc.. There are some exceptions for VERY small cable companies, but it is generally an FCC requirement.

He was answering the OP's question about alternatives to Comcast in Chicago.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
dafish721

After 12 years with many different Tivos I have now decided after all the headaches this new XL4 is causing me that I am making the decision to dump Tivo and am going to go to Direct TV. It is a fraction of the cost of Comcast and I hope to have no problems like this Tivo has brought me.

I have been reading through the many many posts that talk about the XL4 and premier elite, same thing, dropping channels and that this is really a Tivo problem that has not been fixed.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
SNJpage1

Send an e mail to: we_can_help@comcast.com
I had a problem with losing channels and they helped a lot. They even gave me a $50 a month reduction in my rate for 12 months because of all the problems I went thru.