TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #2221
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random User 7 View Post
Glad to hear it was near painless because I'll need to do this too. I'm assuming copying the files back will be just as painless. I've been waiting to see if the WD30EURX would drop some in price. I figure if it doesn't drop in early December I might as well just pay the asking.
I got the WD20EURX. It is probably twice what I need, but it was a much better price/TB than the 1TB model. I will let you know how the transfer back goes. I need to read up on how that works first though.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #2222
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
I got the WD20EURX. It is probably twice what I need, but it was a much better price/TB than the 1TB model. I will let you know how the transfer back goes. I need to read up on how that works first though.
I'm betting the 2TB would be fine but just to be sure I'm going to go with the 3TB. We have been recording a lot of PBS Kid's shows since the Roku app only has 5 episodes. Though everything is on Amazon and Netflix so I guess we would be OK. Hmm maybe I just talked myself into the 2TB.
Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #2223
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
I'm betting the 2TB would be fine but just to be sure I'm going to go with the 3TB. We have been recording a lot of PBS Kid's shows since the Roku app only has 5 episodes. Though everything is on Amazon and Netflix so I guess we would be OK. Hmm maybe I just talked myself into the 2TB.
Given I could only access 1.25TB of my Hopper, which I never filled more than 60%, and that MPEG2 will take up twice as much space, 2TB seemed like plenty. Especially as we are watching more Netflix and Amazon and less recorded content.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #2224
SVTarHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

about the jmfs cd will tell you about one way to migrate a Series 4 to a larger drive and this one

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

will tell you about DvrBARS, a newer, more versatile software package for backing up and restoring S4 images.

I suggest you see if DvrBARS will let you upgrade to a 1TB now and a 2TB later without losing shows.

And you should make backup images of both machines ASAP, just in case.
As I was looking through those threads and rethinking this process, I thought of one more question... if I have nothing that needs saving on the stock drive, is using an image (for the upgrade) a solution that is either quicker, cleaner, easier, etc.?
SVTarHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #2225
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
As I was looking through those threads and rethinking this process, I thought of one more question... if I have nothing that needs saving on the stock drive, is using an image (for the upgrade) a solution that is either quicker, cleaner, easier, etc.?
Well, you do avoid having to have two disks attached at once or using a DvrBARS to backup and restore. OTOH, if use use a backup from anther TiVo, you'll probably have to do a "Clear & Delete Everything" when you first boot up the TiVo after installing the new drive. Also, you'll have to boot JMFS to do the expand no matter how you get the image on the new drive.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #2226
ggieseke

My 746 and 750 images require a C&DE. The 748 and 758 images should work without it, since they were taken from never-booted factory drives.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #2227
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Given I could only access 1.25TB of my Hopper, which I never filled more than 60%, and that MPEG2 will take up twice as much space, 2TB seemed like plenty. Especially as we are watching more Netflix and Amazon and less recorded content.
Good point, I forgot the reason I chose the 3tb is MPEG2. Good reminder thanks.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #2228
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Glad to hear it was near painless because I'll need to do this too. I'm assuming copying the files back will be just as painless. I've been waiting to see if the WD30EURX would drop some in price. I figure if it doesn't drop in early December I might as well just pay the asking.
Copying back was painless once I realized that initiating the copy from the PC to the Tivo from the Tivo was easiest. As far as I know everything I restored is unharmed by the copying.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #2229
SVTarHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
My 746 and 750 images require a C&DE. The 748 and 758 images should work without it, since they were taken from never-booted factory drives.
It's not looking promising, but I'm exchanging messages with someone who claims to have a 'never used' 746320 for sale. If it turns out to be what he said, I was thinking of trying to get it as a win-win-win, meaning potentially of benefit to you, the community here and me as well.

Feel free to contact me privately (or here) if you have interest, thoughts, caveats, etc.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #2230
ggieseke

Quote:
It's not looking promising, but I'm exchanging messages with someone who claims to have a 'never used' 746320 for sale. If it turns out to be what he said, I was thinking of trying to get it as a win-win-win, meaning potentially of benefit to you, the community here and me as well.

Feel free to contact me privately (or here) if you have interest, thoughts, caveats, etc.
I wouldn't mind having a truly factory 746 image since it would speed up the process for people using it. If you get the unit, run a Full backup with DvrBARS and send me a PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #2231
unitron

Quote:

If you can get it cheap, like $25 or under, you'll have a spare power supply, and a drive from which you can make virgin images if you don't run Guided Setup on it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #2232
aaronwt
HD Addict

So is the 4TB WD AV drive still the recommended one? I plan to keep an eye out for some Black Friday deals. Hopefully I can pick one up at a good sale price and replace the 3TB drive in my Roamio Pro.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #2233
SVTarHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I wouldn't mind having a truly factory 746 image
If this starts to look like it's going to work out after all, I plan to clarify just what he means by never used. What do I need to ask him?
Old 11-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #2234
jmbach

Has it ever been plugged in. Has it ever been booted to guided setup screen. The former is truly a virgin image. The latter is the next closest to a virgin image. It may require a c&de when installed on another unit.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #2235
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Has it ever been plugged in.
That's the most important question.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #2236
Cavar

I just bought a Roamio Plus and wanted to upgrade the HD and I was wondering if anyone can answer these questions without me wading through 71 pages?

1) Can the drives really be upgraded just by putting in a new unformatted drive?

2) Will the Plus handle a 4TB drive without upgrades to the power supply? If so, is the Western Digital AV-GP WD40EURX the best drive? If 4TB can't be used, which 3TB do you recommend?

3) Do I need to activate the Plus before I can upgrade the drive?

4) Are there other issues/questions I need to be aware of?

Thanks,
Cavar
Cavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #2237
Darkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavar View Post
I just bought a Roamio Plus and wanted to upgrade the HD and I was wondering if anyone can answer these questions without me wading through 71 pages?

1) Can the drives really be upgraded just by putting in a new unformatted drive?

2) Will the Plus handle a 4TB drive without upgrades to the power supply? If so, is the Western Digital AV-GP WD40EURX the best drive? If 4TB can't be used, which 3TB do you recommend?

3) Do I need to activate the Plus before I can upgrade the drive?

4) Are there other issues/questions I need to be aware of?

Thanks,
Cavar
1) Yes, you can just swap in a new drive. I just did this yesterday with a drive I ordered from Amazon...straight from the box into the TiVo.

2) Everything I read indicates that you use up to a 3TB without doing anything special, but 4TB requires extra steps.

3) No, I swapped the drive before I even plugged in the TiVo.

4) Regarding the drive swap, I don't think so. But if you are like me and are using a Motorola TA, you may run into a problem where the Roamio won't detect the TA. From another thread, it sounds like the problem will need to be resolved with a firmware updated for the TA.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #2238
Cavar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
1) Yes, you can just swap in a new drive. I just did this yesterday with a drive I ordered from Amazon...straight from the box into the TiVo.

2) Everything I read indicates that you use up to a 3TB without doing anything special, but 4TB requires extra steps.

3) No, I swapped the drive before I even plugged in the TiVo.
Perfect thanks. I'll go with a 3TB WD then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
4) Regarding the drive swap, I don't think so. But if you are like me and are using a Motorola TA, you may run into a problem where the Roamio won't detect the TA. From another thread, it sounds like the problem will need to be resolved with a firmware updated for the TA.
I do have a Motorola TA. If I have issues then I wonder if getting a new TA from my cable company would fix the issue? Otherwise I'm not sure how I would upgrade firmware on the TA.
Cavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #2239
Random User 7
Incognito

Yeah 3tb WD30EURX is the drive of choice.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #2240
abovethesink

This thread is absurdly overwhelming so I will keep it short and sweet. I need a new drive ASAP and tis one is a good price and prime eligible. Will it serve in a Roamio Basic?

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...+tb+hard+drive
abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #2241
Random User 7
Incognito

it would work but the wd30eurx is considered better because of the extra year warranty and is av-gp drive.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #2242
daytraderjo

I am new and am Looking to buy my first tivo.

I am Looking at either a roamio plus (1TB) or roamio pro (3TB). (Plus 2 Mini's)
I would definitely purchase lifetime service, and get the extra 3 yr warranty.
(If it matters, I Would be using the PC software and ipad)

I have read a bunch of posts but was looking for confirmation from a veteran, or perhaps someone can lead me to another link....

Aside from extra storage, is there any difference/benefit in purchasing the stock roamio pro (3TB)vs. roamio plus (1TB), except for the extra included storage on the roamio pro?

Would the "stock" version of "plus" work more seamlessly then an upgraded "plus"? Ie...Will a better hd give better performance?

Would the "pro" work more seamlessly with everything then an upgraded hd version of "plus"?

Or is it all the same?

Has any of this been quantitatively tested by any tech gurus out there?

Also - Are there any warranty implications for upgrading to 3TB, or anything else I may not be thinking of?

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by daytraderjo : 11-16-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Trying to keep it short...
daytraderjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #2243
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytraderjo View Post
I am new and am Looking to buy my first tivo.

I am Looking at either a roamio plus (1TB) or roamio pro (3TB). (Plus 2 Mini's)
I would definitely purchase lifetime service, and get the extra 3 yr warranty.
(If it matters, I Would be using the PC software and ipad)

I have read a bunch of posts but was looking for confirmation from a veteran, or perhaps someone can lead me to another link....

Aside from extra storage, is there any difference/benefit in purchasing the stock roamio pro (3TB)vs. roamio plus (1TB), except for the extra included storage on the roamio pro?

Would the "stock" version of "plus" work more seamlessly then an upgraded "plus"? Ie...Will a better hd give better performance?

Would the "pro" work more seamlessly with everything then an upgraded hd version of "plus"?

Or is it all the same?

Has any of this been quantitatively tested by any tech gurus out there?

Also - Are there any warranty implications for upgrading to 3TB, or anything else I may not be thinking of?

Thanks so much for your help.
You will bust the warranty by upgrading, but if something bad happens TiVo usually turns a blind eye if you stick the factory drive back in and let it call home before calling them. YMMV.

Other than the drive size there is no difference between a Plus and a Pro.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #2244
daytraderjo

Thanks, I guess I'll get a pro. I mean plus. Ehhhhh. Pro. I think. Lol.
daytraderjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #2245
ej42137

You might think about getting a Plus and replacing the HD with a 4 TB drive from either Weaknees or DVR_GUY. I've done that twice now and I've very happy to have the extra space.
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #2246
elborak
Jack of Some Trades

Quote:
it would work but the wd30eurx is considered better because of the extra year warranty and is av-gp drive.
The extra year warranty is without a doubt better. There are various opinions but no true consensus as to whether the AV designation is really of any value.

It all depends on how much of a price premium the AV drive is commanding.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote