TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
ahwman

Does 28 day rule reset after erase and delete?

I'm new to TiVo and was told that a new TiVo will record all episodes that haven't aired in the last 28 days even when season passes are set to record "New" episodes only. Recently I had to do a "Clear and delete everything" on one of my TiVo's to clear up an issue I was having. Dies this reset the 28 day rule?
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Yes, It does

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
mr.unnatural

It resets everything and returns all settings to factory defaults. Your Tivo will have no memory or record of any shows, including season passes, IIRC. You have to set everything back up from scratch after doing a C&DE as it gives you a clean slate to work with.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
I'm new to TiVo and was told that a new TiVo will record all episodes that haven't aired in the last 28 days even when season passes are set to record "New" episodes only. Recently I had to do a "Clear and delete everything" on one of my TiVo's to clear up an issue I was having. Dies this reset the 28 day rule?
That's just wrong regarding what the 28 day rule means.
A new (or post C&DE) TiVo has no recording history and so will record all episodes that have aired in the last 28 days even when season passes are set to record "new" episodes only because "new" means not recorded and <28 days after OAD.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
That's just wrong regarding what the 28 day rule means.
A new (or post C&DE) TiVo has no recording history and so will record all episodes that have aired in the last 28 days even when season passes are set to record "new" episodes only because "new" means not recorded and <28 days after OAD.
Thanks for the info. I guess I just can't wrap my mind around the 28 day rule in the sense that new to me is "Hasnt aired before". Oh we'll, guess I have to deal with repeats for another month or clean up the dups manually...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess I just can't wrap my mind around the 28 day rule in the sense that new to me is "Hasnt aired before". Oh we'll, guess I have to deal with repeats for another month or clean up the dups manually...
The 28 day rule allows TiVo to record the second or third or forth airing of a program in case of a conflict with the first airing. I don't know of another DVR that can do that.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The 28 day rule allows TiVo to record the second or third or forth airing of a program in case of a conflict with the first airing. I don't know of another DVR that can do that.
I hadn't considered that. Definitely a worthy point.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Any PC with Windows Media Center can do it. If there's a conflict or a recording doesn't take place as originally scheduled for some reason, WMC will automatically record the next available airing of that program. I've had recordings that were truncated for some unknown reason and WMC detected that there was a problem and automatically recorded the next showing. I don't believe a Tivo can do that based on the number of posts regarding truncated recordings. Then again, a lot of that has to do with overlap and the way the Tivo functions accordingly. If a show gets preempted by a local sporting event, WMC will record it the next time it airs. Some local channels postpone shows until the weekend because of college basketball games and such and WMC just reschedules the recording with no input from me required. I don't recall ever missing a show due to a conflict or recording snafu with WMC.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I've had recordings that were truncated for some unknown reason and WMC detected that there was a problem and automatically recorded the next showing. I don't believe a Tivo can do that based on the number of posts regarding truncated recordings.
That's a pretty nice feature.

I don't often get truncated recordings, but the TiVo does knows (and mark) that it's a partial; so it would be nice if TiVo took a page from Windows Media Center on this and picked up the next airing. (On the TiVo side that would be as simple as not counting a partial as a duplicate and maybe add some more logic to only do so for a 'true' partial; one that wasn't a result of an overlap clipping)