TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Adramelech

How Do You Block Deleting From Other Tivos?

I don't want other Tivos on my network to be able to delete my programs while looking at my stuff through the network, and vica versa. When I had a Tivo Series 2 & a Tivo Premiere it wouldn't allow us to delete each others programs. Now that I got a Tivo Elite XL4 hooked to my network it allows me to go into the other Tivo and delete their stuff.

I'm afraid I will delete their stuff by mistake, or they will delete my stuff by mistake. How do I turn this feature off?
Adramelech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Adramelech

Wow.... what a JOKE. I just found out that Tivo has taken away our user control.

When I had a Series 2 and a Premiere it wouldn't allow users to delete each others programs through the network.

Now that I got rid of my Series 2, and spent hundreds of dollars getting the XL4, it allows deletion of programs remotely.

Now when someone is another room is viewing my Tivo programs they can accidently forget they are on my box and delete all my stuff.

There is NO USER CONTROL to disable remote deletion from another box. This is just stupid.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I think most of us were excited to get the ability to delete shows remotely. It's unfortunate that you can't trust the other people in your house to not delete your content. I can't get anyone in my house to delete anything.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

AFAIK, deleting shows remotely was a long asked for request by many on this forum.

Blame them.

Just goes to show you can't please everyone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

How will you delete their stuff by mistake? There is a pop up when deleting, and the recently deleted folder is there for a reason.

Hopefully your household is not vindictive so that you are all deleting content out of spite! Communicate!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Try having such as my UVerse Total Home DVR. There is only one store and anybody can see and delete anything.

Mostly I delete some of the reality show crap, and trim brain dead season passes.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Accidents may happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
It's unfortunate that you can't trust the other people in your house to not delete your content
It's not an issue with trust, it is about the inevitable human error when someone else in the household accidentally deletes another's content.

Many people were accidentally pressing the fast-forward button four times and cycling back to Play, so TiVo locked out fast-forward on the fourth button press... until enough users said they liked the convenience of sitting their finger on the FF button awaiting the commercials to end, so TiVo added the S-P-S-88-S code to get the old functionality back.

I've read on this forum that TiVo is going even further regarding remote access once the TiVo Mini is released by allowing another user to modify someone else's Season Passes, To Do list, and Settings. It is bad design to not offer a "do not allow" option for individual DVRs rather than the current "all or nothing" option.

Instead of making fundamental changes like these and upsetting long-time users who chose to stick with the TiVo brand when they upgrade from an older unsupported model -- only to be shocked and let down after finding their most-used features are missing -- TiVo should add an option in the Settings to turn off their newly introduced "improvements".
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
bshrock

If there is there a way to lock out Streaming and force everyone to use MRV that would be just like the Series2 and 3 with the viewer deleting the local copy.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Adramelech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
It's not an issue with trust, it is about the inevitable human error when someone else in the household accidentally deletes another's content.

Many people were accidentally pressing the fast-forward button four times and cycling back to Play, so TiVo locked out fast-forward on the fourth button press... until enough users said they liked the convenience of sitting their finger on the FF button awaiting the commercials to end, so TiVo added the S-P-S-88-S code to get the old functionality back.

I've read on this forum that TiVo is going even further regarding remote access once the TiVo Mini is released by allowing another user to modify someone else's Season Passes, To Do list, and Settings. It is bad design to not offer a "do not allow" option for individual DVRs rather than the current "all or nothing" option.

Instead of making fundamental changes like these and upsetting long-time users who chose to stick with the TiVo brand when they upgrade from an older unsupported model -- only to be shocked and let down after finding their most-used features are missing -- TiVo should add an option in the Settings to turn off their newly introduced "improvements".
I agree. Yep... I have kids and old people who get confused. They go into my DVR through the network and forget they are not on their local hard drive and delete stuff. The other day I forgot and actually ADDED A SEASON PASS to the other persons unit but I couldn't take it away from my machine. So I had to go to their machine to remove it.

I don't know why they can't add a feature to the settings about User Control. for this.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Forgetting what Tivo's Now Playing list I'm looking at when streaming is very easy to do. I've mistakenly deleted more than one recording when looking at another Premiere's list.

Streaming also comes without the inability to turn it off by turning off video sharing. And if you do have video sharing turned off on Premiere 'A' you can still stream from Premiere 'B' to Premiere 'A' but not from Premiere 'A' to Premiere 'B' which makes no sense at all.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Hmm deleted shows can be recovered. If you accidentally delete a show on a remote TiVo, you can recover it. (with the GUI anyway.)

If you don't want the possibility, put the tivos on different accounts.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
magnus
Tivo User

I think it ought to be a setting that you can turn on or off the feature. I want my kids to be able to watch the shows but not be able to delete them.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@thehickmans View Post
Hmm deleted shows can be recovered. If you accidentally delete a show on a remote TiVo, you can recover it. (with the GUI anyway.)
True, but you have to do it from the Tivo that the recording is on, so it's easy to forget unless you get up immediately and go to that Tivo to do it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramelech View Post
Wow.... what a JOKE. I just found out that Tivo has taken away our user control.
Exactly how do you figure GIVING someone the ability to exert additional control is taking away control?

You never had the ability to turn this feature off in the past - it didn't even exist. Exactly what have you lost? (Answer: abso-freaking-lutely nothing.)

Quote:
When I had a Series 2 and a Premiere it wouldn't allow users to delete each others programs through the network.
There are no "users" on either box. Certainly programs do not have user-specific permissions. The salient point, however, is that yes, this capability did not exist before (actually it did for many of us), and it does now. You were given something, and indeed something that many users have requested many times, so quit bellyaching. If you don't want to use the feature, then don't.

Quote:
Now when someone is another room is viewing my Tivo programs they can accidently forget they are on my box and delete all my stuff.
So pay attention and tell the others to pay attention. Better yet, stop deleting things and tell the others not to delete things. It isn't necessary.

Quote:
There is NO USER CONTROL to disable remote deletion from another box. This is just stupid.
If by "This", you mean, "This thread", then I absolutely agree this thread is just stupid.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
Instead of making fundamental changes like these and upsetting long-time users who chose to stick with the TiVo brand when they upgrade from an older unsupported model -- only to be shocked and let down after finding their most-used features are missing
In this case, nothing is missing. This is an additional ability, not a loss of some ability.

Because of its long list of missing features, I consider the Premiere to be a hunk of junk, but this most certainly does not qualify as a relative deficiency from any perspective. Could it have been more? Surely, but that does not make it a missing feature compared to the old platforms.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
You were given something, and indeed something that many users have requested many times, so quit bellyaching. If you don't want to use the feature, then don't.
No need to be rude about it.

While remote deleting is a nice feature for those that want it, I can definitely understand situations where some would NOT want it. Having the feature added is great, being able to toggle it on/off would make it even better.

Or is that too hard for you to understand without being such an ass about it?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
No need to be rude about it.
Yes, there is. There is no reason we should tolerate such a sense of entitlement. First of all, it is definitely a minor tempest in a tiny teacup. Even if it were not, however, that does not justify the following temper tantrum:

Quote:
Wow... what a JOKE. I just found out that Tivo has taken away our user control.
At best, such hyperbole lends nothing to the forum.

Quote:
While remote deleting is a nice feature for those that want it, I can definitely understand situations where some would NOT want it. Having the feature added is great, being able to toggle it on/off would make it even better.
See my previous post.

Quote:
Or is that too hard for you to understand without being such an ass about it?
Nothing here is hard for me to understand except why anyone feels they are so entitled that a new feature constitutes a loss of control.

'Not that I care in the least what anyone thinks of me, but you should have seen the scalding sentence I deleted before sending because it was too close to being an ad hominem attack... and a bit too harsh.

That, and I am sick to death of trolls. This guy may not be a troll, but when his very first post (or at most his third) is a whining, aggressive attack almost totally devoid of merit, it definitely smells of living under a bridge.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
'Not that I care in the least what anyone thinks of me, but you should have seen the scalding sentence I deleted before sending because it was too close to being an ad hominem attack... and a bit too harsh.
Aw, gee, thanks for... nothing. Patting yourself on the back for saying you took the high road isn't the same as actually taking it. Clearly you do care what people think of you. Now we have an even better picture of it.

Seems like a reasonable feature request; give a selectable option for controlling remote deleting.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote