TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
David_SG

Problem with a few Fios HD channels

I have a Premier XL4 with Fios. Initially, everything was working fine. Then the issue with the HBO channels appeared over the summer, but that was quickly solved by calling Fios and pairing the card.

But immediately after that, I lost the ability to watch a few HD channels - namely, TNT, NFL Network, one of my HBO channels, and most recently, AMC HD. When I go to any of those channels, I see a black screen and a message "Problem with the signal on this channel - trying again".

This really has me baffled. I was hoping the problem would go away when we moved into our new house a month ago, but no such luck. So that tells me it isn't a problem with the coax or the feed since it has occurred in two separate locations. And I recently swapped in a new cable card but have the same problem. Of course, Verizon hasn't been helpful. I haven't tried contacting TiVo support - will do that next.

Anybody have a similar problem? Any suggestions? Apologies if this particular issue has been discussed before.
David_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
radish
Honourable Member

The only thing I can think of is to repeat guided setup to make sure you're using the correct channel mappings.
radish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
lrhorer

I hate to say it, but unfortunately this sounds like a flaky TiVo. Standard troubleshooting procedures: when moving components around, the trouble will ordinarily follow the failed component. In this case, the trouble seems to be following the TiVo, not the CATV system or the CableCard. Check to make sure your RF levels are not too high or too low, and just to be sure, have them swap out the CableCard again. Beyond that, it really sounds like the TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
ShayL

What is the signal level on the channels that work and the ones that do not? It might be a low signal.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
lrhorer

Or just as likely, signal levels that are too high across the board.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-28-2012 at 05:51 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
unitron

Any chance those channels got changed over to SDV and the cable company forgot to tell you?

Or maybe even forgot to tell their CSRs?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
ShayL

unitron, FIOS does not use SDV.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
David_SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
What is the signal level on the channels that work and the ones that do not? It might be a low signal.
Signal level is always between 91 and 94 on all channels - whether they work or not. I repeated the guided set-up and also tried using a signal attenuator - nothing works. Next step is to try a different TiVo and see if that fixes the problem. I believe I purchased an extended warranty from TiVo so if a new TiVo does the trick, maybe I can get TiVo to replace my box. Or at the very least, let me transfer my lifetime service to a new box.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
David_SG

Update - just got the new Fall update. Problem fixed. Very odd, but I'll take it!