TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
KC2LLW

Sd-dvr40

Hello,
I have a SD-DVR40 and it is stuck in the powering up mode. I believe this means it has a bad hard drive. Can I replace the 40GB HD with an 80GB HD and will it take a fresh hard drive off the shelf or do I need to do more to the drive?
Thanks
Steve
KC2LLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
poppagene
User

You need more than just a drive off the shelf. You either need to load the appropriate tivo image file or use the instant cake software for your dvr.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2LLW View Post
Hello,
I have a SD-DVR40 and it is stuck in the powering up mode. I believe this means it has a bad hard drive. Can I replace the 40GB HD with an 80GB HD and will it take a fresh hard drive off the shelf or do I need to do more to the drive?
Thanks
Steve
You should run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software on that 40GB to be sure that's where the problem is.

(If your PC has a GigaByte brand motherboard, say so, and we'll discuss how to defend against it putting a host protected area on the hard drive and screwing it up)

It could be that the TiVo's power supply is suffering from "capacitor plague" and can't manage to power both the TiVo and the drive.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
KC2LLW

Should I run the old HD off a external USB drive enclosure and run the Maxtor diginoatic tool to check the HD?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Should I run the old HD off a external USB drive enclosure and run the Maxtor diginoatic tool to check the HD?
That sounds like a good plan if the software can see it.

Actually the latest Seagate software is the stuff to use since they own Maxtor now.

Or maybe the not quite latest. It is an old drive, after all.

Download the cd .iso from here and burn it as an image to a cd-r and boot with that.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...upport-master/
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
KC2LLW

Ok I will run the Seagate software to test the HD if its good I guess it's a power issue. If it's bad can I put a new 80GB HD and just run the JMFS. ISO file to the new HD and get it working?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Ok I will run the Seagate software to test the HD if its good I guess it's a power issue. If it's bad can I put a new 80GB HD and just run the JMFS. ISO file to the new HD and get it working?
Isn't the SD-DVR40 a Series 1 or Series 2?

You don't need and probably can't use jmfs on them.

Either the MFS Live cd v1.4 or WinMFS should do what you need just fine.

Where is that 80GB drive coming from?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Eddief66

If you don't have a hd already you should think about getting one from www.weaknees.com. They come pre-loaded with all the software so you don't need to do anything.
Eddief66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
KC2LLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Isn't the SD-DVR40 a Series 1 or Series 2?

You don't need and probably can't use jmfs on them.

Either the MFS Live cd v1.4 or WinMFS should do what you need just fine.

Where is that 80GB drive coming from?
Yes you are correct it is a series 2 the 80gb is a new drive i have that I plan to replace the 40 with so I need to install MFS live or WinMFS on the new drive? if my 40gb is dead I have no backup and need to start fresh with the 80gb
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Yes you are correct it is a series 2 the 80gb is a new drive i have that I plan to replace the 40 with so I need to install MFS live or WinMFS on the new drive? if my 40gb is dead I have no backup and need to start fresh with the 80gb
You use either the MFS Live cd to restore a truncated backup of an SD-DVR40 which was made using MFS Live or its predecessor, MFS Tools, or you use the program WinMFS to restore a truncated backup of an SD-DVR40 which had been made with WinMFS.

You do not install either of those programs to the TiVo's drive or the replacement TiVo drive, you use them to install something else to the drive, because those programs can handle the partition map and format of a TiVo drive, about which regular DOS/Windows based hard drive utilities are clueless.

If your original 40GB drive hasn't quite finished dying (and there's a chance the problem is one or more of the TiVo's power supply capacitors and not the hard drive), then you can use either WinMFS or the MFS Tools cd to copy it to a new drive.

You need to slow down and learn some more.

I'm guessing you've read a little here and a little there and don't really know what jmfs is, et cetera.

First let's see if we can get a definite diagnosis of what's causing the problem

(although even if your hard drive is still good it's still a good idea to make backups of it with the 2 programs I mentioned.)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
KC2LLW

Yes your are right I have been scrambling to try to get this going and not knowing what's what? from the looks of it it may be easier to just get a new box from DTV for $100 I thought it was an easy HD swap but there is a lot more to it then that.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Yes your are right I have been scrambling to try to get this going and not knowing what's what? from the looks of it it may be easier to just get a new box from DTV for $100 I thought it was an easy HD swap but there is a lot more to it then that.
Was this SD-DVR40 working fine up until just recently or has it been sitting unused for some time?

How long have you owned it?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
KC2LLW

Yes it was working fine 3 weeks ago and just this past weekend it stop working it was not used for a couple of weeks it is at our farm house which had a power outage due to Sandy
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Yes it was working fine 3 weeks ago and just this past weekend it stop working it was not used for a couple of weeks it is at our farm house which had a power outage due to Sandy

The power outage, especially if it was one where the lights flicker as power comes and goes until it quits completely, could have hastened the appearence of problems in both the hard drive and the power supply.

If it's the power supply, it's probably just a capacitor or 3 that need replacing.

If it's the hard drive that's a slightly more complicated situation.

You might be able to stick the drive in the freezer overnight and get it to work again just long enough to copy what's on it to another drive.

But first you need to hook it to a PC (with a non-GigaByte brand motherboard) and see if the drive is bad or has problems or not.

If you have more money than spare time and aren't concerned about saving recordings on this machine, then replacement might be the better option for you, as much as I hate the idea of leaving a TiVo unrepaired.

As to whether to go with the new DirecTiVo that made a very belated appearance several months ago, or to go with a non-TiVo satellite dvr or some other satellite reception and show recording setup, I don't know enough about anything satellite related to have an opinion or any useful advice.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
KC2LLW

I just checked the power to the HD yellow and black wires getting 12volts red and black getting 5volts so I think the power supply is ok?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
I just checked the power to the HD yellow and black wires getting 12volts red and black getting 5volts so I think the power supply is ok?
If you can find a safe way to do it, like alligator clamp your negative lead to the chassis and stick the positive probe down inside the red or yellow wire from the back where it goes into the plug that goes into the socket on the motherboard, so that both your hands are free, then do that hookup, plug the TiVo into the wall socket (or better yet a power strip with a switch) and power up the TiVo while watching the meter and only then plug the power into the hard drive and see how well the power supply's regulation works in keeping the voltage the same despite the increase in current draw.

Do it twice, once for 5V (red) and once for 12V (yellow), and if there's an orange wire or 2 in the bundle running to the motherboard, check that it's pretty close to 3.3V as well, and if there's a white wire, or purple, or brown, or some other extra color besides orange, red, yellow, and black, look for a sticker wrapped around a big capacitor on the power supply and see if it doesn't list an output voltage around 28 to 30 V and make sure that reading about what it should be as well.

And take a good look at the tops of the capacitors on the power supply circuit board, especially the ones hiding under any overhang on the heatsink.

Of course now that we've established that you're the kind who'll take the lid off and take a voltmeter to the TiVo, we're going to have to force you to rescue the hard drive.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
KC2LLW

Ok, I will try that. I will probably have to wait until Sunday night or Monday night, as I am going hunting over the weekend. Thanks for all the help unitron.