Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #31
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Sorkin is who he is and he writes what he writes. There are no surprises. Again, if his politics offend it's easy enough to not watch his shows. But those of us who do watch know what to expect. I understand your point of view, but don't understand that you are surprised by the content of the show.
I'm not offended. I'm not a Republican or Democrat. I just wish the show would try to live up to the ideals expressed in the first episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I don't have a problem with politics. I just wish they would either slow the dialog pacing a few beats or shorten length.. It's hard to keep the brain on alert. I feel like I am in a hockey game with constants shots at the goalie for an hour.
Indeed. Even The Gilmore Girls tempered its fast-paced wit with normal people using normal language.

I guess Maggie is our break from Sorkin-y dialogue, but she's not a very compelling character.

My blog:
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #33
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I'm not offended. I'm not a Republican or Democrat. I just wish the show would try to live up to the ideals expressed in the first episode.
I think part of the plotline of the show is how hard it is to live up to your ideals in ad-funded television.

To those who are put off by the Sorkin dialog: it will probably get better. Whenever I go back and watch the first episodes of any Sorkin series, even Sports Night and The West Wing, it seems really rough as the actors try to incorporate the material into a natural-sounding speaking voice and cadence. I'm not surprised there are the same issues here as well. I mean, you'll always get the Sorkin fast-speaking but it will smooth out and become less jarring (history tells us).

I am a little concerned about the casting though. Maggie doesn't bother me but Mackenzie seems really wrong. She's far too young to have had that kind of serious history with Will, for one thing, and her accent doesn't work well with Sorkin dialog IMO. Hopefully she'll get better (or I'll get used to her).
Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #34
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Maggie doesn't bother me but Mackenzie seems really wrong. She's far too young to have had that kind of serious history with Will, for one thing, and her accent doesn't work well with Sorkin dialog IMO.
Well, Emily Mortimer is 40 years old, so I'm not sure how much older she would have to be to have "that kind of serious history" with a man...

As for the accent, you're not wrong...and I think Alison Pill is similarly unequipped to deal with Sorkin-style dialogue (ironically, since people complain about too much Sorkin-style dialogue when the two female leads don't do it).

N.b.—both women are very, very good. They just don't do that kind of rapid-fire old-school screwball comedy dialogue that Sorkin is so famous for.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #35
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
This!

Nicely put. Really, what else is there on TV right now? It's not that bad, even with this episode.
Only 2 episodes in on this show, but I like Sports Night better. Definitely check it out.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #36
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, Emily Mortimer is 40 years old, so I'm not sure how much older she would have to be to have "that kind of serious history" with a man...
I didn't mean a man in general, I meant with Will in particular. Wow she seems much younger, at least on this show. However Jeff Daniels is 57 so that's still getting to 20 years difference. However if their relationship was over 3 years ago that's 37 vs. 54, which is not that unbelievable (especially since he's in TV ).

I guess I just don't buy Emily Mortimer in this role so far. I thought it was the age thing, but maybe she just doesn't seem to have enough weight to counterbalance Daniels (who I think is so far doing a great job!)

I'll work on getting over it
Old 07-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #37
Peter000

Liked episode one, episode two was lacking. There wasn't anything wrong with it really, IMO, just that I didn't find it as entertaining.

But it's a perfect Summer show for me... I don't have much invested in it, so I can watch it dispassionately.

And as far as right wing vs left, I can see why the right would see the show within a show as left. But the only real meat we saw of the broadcast was the foul-up part. And with that, I feel they were disparaging stupidity more than a viewpoint. And he did try to defend Sarah Palin (but failed miserably). We'll probably see this directly addressed on future episodes.

I do recall on WW, though, that they did bring up the opposing viewpoint, even in the left wing White House. They went so far as to bring a conservative lawyer character as assistant-Attorney General to provide a counterpoint. Also, Alan Alda played a left wing candidate in a later season that they gave A LOT of screen time to. But I think that was after Sorkin left the show.

It's been a long time since I've watched any WW.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #38
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I do recall on WW, though, that they did bring up the opposing viewpoint, even in the left wing White House. They went so far as to bring a conservative lawyer character as assistant-Attorney General to provide a counterpoint.
Ainsley Hayes (Emily Proctor). Actually she's hired into the White House Counsel's office, not the Justice Department. Funnily enough, we're watching WW (Netflix DVD--oh how I wish this was streaming!) with our kids and just last night we watched the first episode with Ainsley, where she spanks Sam on a news show. That was SO funny, and very poignant as well--this is the one where the President of an African nation comes asking for cheaper AIDS drugs, and
Spoiler:
there is a coup in his country while he's in the U.S.

So far WW did the "conservative voice" thing a lot better but that was S02E04 of WW and this is S01E02 of Newsroom. So...
Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #39
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Liked episode one, episode two was lacking. There wasn't anything wrong with it really, IMO, just that I didn't find it as entertaining.
I feel the same way, but maybe for a different reason. Having watched the first two episodes, I felt a bit sad. I loved Sports Night and it's in my TV Show HoF, and West Wing really was appointment/Must See TV at our house. This ain't that. I guess I have moved on or moved away.

This year we caught up four plus one seasons of Mad Men, two plus one seasons of Justified, and one plus one seasons of Game of Thrones. Those were compelling shows, and we could and did easily watch 3 or 4 of them a night. Last night we watched S1E1-3 of Breaking Bad. I asked myself am I more interested in watching BB #4 or Newsroom #3 tonight and it's not even close. Compared to what I have been watching lately, Sorkin's style now grates on me - been there, done that - and I am just simply not interested in the characters.

This isn't even summer filler to me while I wait for Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, or even a somewhat-diminished-after-last-season Dexter to return. SP deleted.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #40
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj
I would bet, based on the first two episodes that those with a political bent toward the right are most likely going to hate this show, and those with a political bent toward the left are most likely going to like it. For those in the middle, they may be a bit more objective and not be influenced by the politics of the show.

Sorkin doesn't hide his politics, and as with any good writer, should write what he's familiar with. I'm sure if the show leaned to the right, we'd be hearing that he's being to disingenuous or that he's "trying" too hard to not show his politics.

And obviously there's going to be exceptions to this.
I just watched the first two episodes and am watching the third now. Many of the comments and complaints, including the reviewers, seem overall obsessed with the political ideology they project on to the show. This is the show and these are the characters. People are taking the politics way too seriously and out of context of the show to take issue with them.

People are reading way too much into the politics on the show. People need to stop nitpicking over the details of the politics. That is not what the show is about. It is about what these characters think and how they interact. How could these completely fictional characters be wrong merely by existing.

I think modern day politics is no more serious than fantasy sports or make believe. Just adults being childish and talking nonsense. The only difference is people who talk politics as their hobby or vocation take themselves even more serious then the guy giving you his fantasy draft board for Espn. I saw a lot of the reviews discussed before the show aired and they mostly had similar bents. Watching the show I really had no idea what they are talking about.

I think you are right that some/many view politics as a right and wrong side and they see the show on the wrong side and thus take issue. I don't belong to any side at all and I don't see it that way. As for the show a lot of the acting is very good and the attacks on what news has become in this country is spot on. The news is mostly driven by politics and like I said politics and all that it involves has become nothing more than another adolescent past time we enjoy in adulthood.

I just think a lot of people are missing the forest through the trees and are getting hung up on things not really central to the show.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #41
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Third episode was much better. A bit less relationship nonsense and more on news operations.

Good stuff. The more Waterston the better.

Still dislike Maggie.

My blog:
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

And 4 months have passed. They're going to catch up at this pace.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #43
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

"You need to shut-up more than you do. Has anybody ever told you that?"
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote