TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #61
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Actually, the hybrids my wife and I have which are at least 8 years old have the easy release lever for seat adjustment. So I guess they're not really "new"....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #62
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
"At nearly 8,000 feet, teams must jump for an exhausting full minute."
Still not a big deal...I've hiked at higher elevations. While it's more challenging, just jumping to a non-specified height is easy...

XL4
Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #63
Jebberwocky!

My wife and I paused the show and went on a 60 second jumping spree. That's how we roll

It did take longer than you would think but neither of us were the slighted winded. I've been at much higher elevations and that would not have impacted that very much.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #64
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I did both a chuckle and a moan when I heard them say they were behind in the challenge for lack of a man on their team. We did see that other teams used the chairs for added height in assembling the tent frame, so no man-height was required.

Coming after the discussion of the training accident where she shot herself in the leg, they weren't coming off too well this episode.

I was Ok with the border guys calling them on the schoolteacher lie. They noticed something and brought it up. I'd like to see it come out, especially since they do the whole phony "federal agents" description. Who would describe themselves as that and not mention the agency? I'm leaning more towards DEA, but I guess they could be postal inspectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Actually, the hybrids my wife and I have which are at least 8 years old have the easy release lever for seat adjustment. So I guess they're not really "new"....
Quick release levers aren't "new." They've been around for at least 20 years. But they cost a little extra money and they're not likely on these types of bikes in Africa that are clearly not "high end."
Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #65
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
...Quick release levers aren't "new." They've been around for at least 20 years. But they cost a little extra money and they're not likely on these types of bikes in Africa that are clearly not "high end."
That may be true, but our bikes are hardly "high end"....they're Schwinn Transits...

XL4
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #66
tem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
It did take longer than you would think but neither of us were the slighted winded.
wouldn't it have taken ... 60 seconds ?
tem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #67
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:

Quick release levers aren't "new." They've been around for at least 20 years. But they cost a little extra money and they're not likely on these types of bikes in Africa that are clearly not "high end."
Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
...burn....

XL4
Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #68
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Thunder stolen!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #69
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
That may be true, but our bikes are hardly "high end"....they're Schwinn Transits...
"High end" was not the right terminology. I should have used something else. Bottom line: these types of bikes they were using in Africa are not the types where manufacturers are going to install quick release levers.

And what hasn't been mentioned is that the seat on Vanessa's bike looked like it was already as low as it would go anyway.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #70
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I wonder if they had a "pool" of bicycles from which to select. If so, I would like to think there were different sizes and she was just a knucklehead and shortsighted for choosing the one she did...

XL4
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #71
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I wonder if they had a "pool" of bicycles from which to select. If so, I would like to think there were different sizes and she was just a knucklehead and shortsighted for choosing the one she did...
... and she sucks at riding a bicycle.

But I was wondering that same thing. Seems like they could have done something to solve the bike size problem. I'm convinced she still would suck at riding it though.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #72
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not sure how remote that part of Africa is (and it certainly wouldn't be in the producers interest to show the teeming metropolis right over the hill from their 'remote' locale), but it wouldn't surprise me that they don't have a wide assortment of bikes to choose from, either.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #73
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
When the first teams showed up to the guy on the bike, they showed us that there were several bicycles to choose from. But by the time Ralph and Vanessa got there, I think all the other bikes were taken, and they probably only had a couple to choose from. If there had been a smaller bike available, they definitely would have switched, because it's not like they were a long way away from the bike-selection spot when Vanessa realized she couldn't get on that bike.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #74
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
When the first teams showed up to the guy on the bike, they showed us that there were several bicycles to choose from. But by the time Ralph and Vanessa got there, I think all the other bikes were taken, and they probably only had a couple to choose from. If there had been a smaller bike available, they definitely would have switched, because it's not like they were a long way away from the bike-selection spot when Vanessa realized she couldn't get on that bike.
+1
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #75
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
But couldn't they have used a bike another team had returned? Both of the Rachels are at least as short as Venessa was.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #76
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
But couldn't they have used a bike another team had returned? Both of the Rachels are at least as short as Venessa was.
Apparently not. For whatever reason, those were the bikes available to Ralph and Vanessa, and if there had been something shorter available, they'd have taken it.

I don't think the height of the bike was the real problem for Vanessa, anyway. She clearly didn't know how to ride a bike very well, so a smaller bike probably wouldn't have made much difference. She still would have veered off the the side and crashed anyway.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #77
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

I thought the "jump up and down" challenge was like a SNL gag. Sort of like they mock the easy questions on Celebrity Jeopardy...

"For our next detour, contestants must choose between walking an exhausting 50 yards over a well-manicured lawn in their bare feet, or using a boomerang to hit a minuscule, moving target ridiculously far away..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #78
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I don't think the height of the bike was the real problem for Vanessa, anyway. She clearly didn't know how to ride a bike very well, so a smaller bike probably wouldn't have made much difference. She still would have veered off the the side and crashed anyway.
Thank you.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #79
kettledrum

Quote:
I thought she was doing pretty well considering she didn't fall on her butt the first few times she fell off.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #80
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I wonder if Brendon really did flip off that guy when running past. Based on what Brendon said to him afterwards, it seems like he may have. Then Rachel jumps in saying he didn't.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #81
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Then Rachel jumps in saying he didn't.
My guess is she didn't even see what did or did not happen, and she just immediately jumped to the defense of her man.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #82
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
My guess is she didn't even see what did or did not happen, and she just immediately jumped to the defense of her man.
Don't nobody mess with her man!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #83
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Exactly what I think happened too
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #84
gschrock

I don't particularly like Rachel (can't stand the constant whining breakdowns), but personally, I'd say Vanessa's been way over the line on her behaviour. Quite frankly, she's lucky Rachel hasn't just smacked her across the face. Personally, between the two, I'd rather see Vanessa go first.

As for the jumping up and down, I have to admit, I'd probably not choose it myself. I know *I* have issues at 8000 feet doing something like that. Course, riding back up the hill they went down probably would be worse than the jumping up and down. I also quite honestly would have assumed that they'd be required to put some height into the jumping, and if they weren't doing adequately should have been made to do it again. I was disappointed there seemed to be no judging of form.

Oh, and I don't know that they've *ever* eliminated someone the first day they've gone to Africa. My wife and I assumed as soon was they went to Africa that it was a non-elimination round, and putting the tents together was pretty much the clincher on that.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote