TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
kettledrum

Series2 Guided Setup - stuck dialing 800 number fast busy

I am trying to hook up an old Series 2 standalone at my in laws house. It was running previously and I noticed that the unit was dialing successfully into the local number to get guide data. I reran guided setup and the unit keeps getting stuck on the initial dial in to the 800 number. I am getting a P12 error - Line in use. I have tested the lines, and I have a dial tone, and the line is not in use by any handsets.

What I found odd was that it had appeared that the unit was dialing out just fine previously to the local number to get guide data. One of the suggestions I read elsewhere said to pick up a handset and listen to the tivo dialing in to see if that could provide a clue. What I found was that the 800 number the tivo is dialing returns a fast busy signal. That would definitely explain why the local number appeared to be working previously, but this 800 number does not.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm getting a fast busy on the 800 call? Right now I'm going to try to use a USB to ethernet cable and hook it up to the broadband to get it through the guided setup, but I don't think this wil help with the dialing in problem...
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
alansh

One idea -- try setting a dialing prefix that's actually the local number. Go to http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do and find a local number.

In the dial prefix field, put the number followed by two PAUSEs (which will show as commas).

For example (for Fishers, IN -- if you don't need to dial the area code, omit it):

It will dial the above number before dialing anything else, so it will actually dial 3173484017,,1800xxxxxxx. However, the call will go through after first 10 (or 7) digits go out an d the rest will be ignored.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I'm going to try to use a USB to ethernet cable and hook it up to the broadband to get it through the guided setup, but I don't think this wil help with the dialing in problem...
no it won't help, but if you switch it to a usb-ethernet connection, the issue with the 800 number becomes irrelevant.

Why use dial-up at all if broadband is a viable option?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
bshrock

dial the 800 number manually from the phone what do you get then?

Are the in-laws phone service using pulse dialing instead of tone?

trouble shooting tips http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=10436625
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
kettledrum

I didn't get a broadband connection to work at my in law's house as the USB-ethernet adapter "wasn't supported" according to the guided setup. So I took the unit home with me, but I haven't had a chance to work on it at my house yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
One idea -- try setting a dialing prefix that's actually the local number. Go to http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do and find a local number.

In the dial prefix field, put the number followed by two PAUSEs (which will show as commas).

For example (for Fishers, IN -- if you don't need to dial the area code, omit it):

It will dial the above number before dialing anything else, so it will actually dial 3173484017,,1800xxxxxxx. However, the call will go through after first 10 (or 7) digits go out an d the rest will be ignored.
That sounds like a good idea. I will have to try that, if I can. However, now that the unit is at my house I can try my phone line here, but I have VOIP (Ooma), so I'm sure that will present a different host of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
no it won't help, but if you switch it to a usb-ethernet connection, the issue with the 800 number becomes irrelevant.

Why use dial-up at all if broadband is a viable option?
They don't have a wired connection in the room with the TiVo, and
I didn't have a wireless adapter I could try, so I had to move the TiVo to another room at my in law's to get to their router. They do however, have a phone line in the room with the TiVo, so if I can keep that working, it'll be one less expense to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
dial the 800 number manually from the phone what do you get then?

Are the in-laws phone service using pulse dialing instead of tone?

trouble shooting tips http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=10436625
I don't know the actual 800 number the TiVo is dialing. I'm not good at deciphering a phone number by tone at real time speed. Is there a good way to find out what number it is dialing?

I did check the pulse vs. tone possibility, and I've determined it's not that. Their internet is cable, not DSL so there's no filtering issue.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
unitron

Do the inlaws have a real old school land line, or is their cable company also their phone company?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do the inlaws have a real old school land line, or is their cable company also their phone company?
They have the old school land line.

I think I'll have time tonight to try it at my house and see if I can get something to work. Unfortunately, since I live in a completely different area I might have to go through guided setup at their house anyway.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
They have the old school land line.

I think I'll have time tonight to try it at my house and see if I can get something to work. Unfortunately, since I live in a completely different area I might have to go through guided setup at their house anyway.
Just lie and give it their zip code and cable co.

If you can hook it to your internet connection you can get it set up and then change back over to telephone at their house.

It might help to go into the phone settings and tell it not try to detect the dial tone or check if the line is busy.

Then if it connects you can try adding restrictions back in.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Just lie and give it their zip code and cable co.

If you can hook it to your internet connection you can get it set up and then change back over to telephone at their house.

It might help to go into the phone settings and tell it not try to detect the dial tone or check if the line is busy.

Then if it connects you can try adding restrictions back in.
This is what I did. I was able to successfully complete guided setup at my house using my broadband connection. I still will have to get it back on the phone line at their house and make sure the IR blasters work with their DTA box, but at least I'm not stuck in guided setup anymore.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!