TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
wallylaren

Returning DirecTV HD Genie to use old Samsung Tivo...advice needed!

Hello All,
Picked up a gently used Samsung SIR-S4040R 2-tuner Tivo (that looks a lot like my old Hughes HDVR2) and I am considering dropping my increasingly expensive HD Genie package and going back to 2-tuner Tivo. What are the ramifications? 1. Will I loose channels like my unsupported Hughes did a year or so ago? 2. Will firmware upgrades be a problem with no home phone line?
3. Only 1 cable coming into house from rooftop HD dish...will it still support the 2 lines out of splitter into 2-tuner tivo? Looking forward to answers and advice! Thanks.
wallylaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Updates would be a problem without a phone line, but it's less likely there will be updates. However, it is likely that your dish upgrade is a SWM dish, especially if you are able to use multiple tuners on the Genie, and this will not work with the Samsung.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Diana Collins

Well, obviously, the SIR-S40 won't receive HD channels, only SD, and SD on DirecTV is pretty bad. As Steve notes, it also sounds like you have a SWIM-LNB based dish, and that will not work at all with the SIR-S40. You would, at a minimum, need to switch to a "legacy" (i.e. 4 wire) LNB and feed two wires to the DirecTiVo. The "lost" channels on DirecTiVos was solved by a software update about 18 months ago, but you never know when that could happen again. Software updates are now downloaded via satellite, but you still need to make the call to the TiVo service to start the installation of the update.

More significantly, next week DirecTV is stopping the installation of any SD equipment for new accounts. This is the long anticipated first step in phasing out SD service, although it will likely take 5 years or so to play out. But the fact remains that in the foreseeable future the DirecTiVos will be nothing more than boat anchors.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Echoing Diana's comments, I think you'll lose more than you gain with such a switch. At a minimum you need to replace the dish with an 18" SD dish (and run a second wire if you want to use the second tuner), or an HD dish with four wires (and again a second run.) You will lose HD and several channels that are MPEG4-only. How much do you expect this to save you a month?

For me, it's the programming costs that are the killer, not the small charge for Genie features.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
wallylaren

That is that!

Thanks so much for the input. Alas, my Samsung must be relegated to the electronic recycling department. I guess that means my 3 Hughes GAEBOA boxes are toast too...I have been a DirecTV customer since 2000...I can live with SD signal...Could I use one of the GAEBOA's as the tuner box and hook up a 3rd party DVR to it? Boy, I feel like my dad trying to set the clock on his new VCR in the early '80's...lol.
wallylaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Returning DirecTV HD Genie to use old Samsung Tivo...advice needed!

If you have a SWM dish, the only DTiVo that will work is the THR22. The old DTiVos won't stop working for current installs for the foreseeable future, but eventually they too will need to be replaced. Same goes for old DirecTV receivers.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallylaren View Post
Thanks so much for the input. Alas, my Samsung must be relegated to the electronic recycling department. I guess that means my 3 Hughes GAEBOA boxes are toast too...I have been a DirecTV customer since 2000...I can live with SD signal...Could I use one of the GAEBOA's as the tuner box and hook up a 3rd party DVR to it? Boy, I feel like my dad trying to set the clock on his new VCR in the early '80's...lol.
If your goal is to reduce your DirecTV bill, perhaps you should consider the DirecTV SD DVRs. The R22 DVR will work with your SWM dish, and would eliminate the HD fee(s) and the Whole Home DVR fee (although the R22 can participate in Whole Home, if it is your only viewing location you don't HAVE to enable, as you do with the Genie). That would leave just the DVR fee and your programming package.

The other option, as you suggest, would be to use a standalone receiver connected to 3rd party DVR (TiVo or otherwise) but you would have to factor in the cost and monthly fees (if any) for that device. I think the cheapest way to go this route would be with an old TiVo Series 2 Single (if you can find one) or Dual Tuner DVR with Lifetime Service. These go for about $50 to $100 on eBay.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote