TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
type_g

American Restoration RANT!!!

Is it me or has American Restoration become more about Rick and his family then the actual process of restoring. They show very little or at times NONE at all of the restoration process.

How can this be called RESTORATION when they don't even show much of the process anymore. When the show started first they showed quite a bit of the process.

Just wondering if it is just me that noticed this and has a gripe about it or what!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

I'd been meaning to start a thread on it. They clearly did some retooling for this new season, because you're right, it seems like these days it's all about:

(a) Ron's feet;
(b) Ron and Tyler picking; and
(c) Rick expressing faux concern over some potentially insurmountable problem only to have it miraculously solved at the last minute

The restorations have devolved into ten-second flashback sequences sandwiched between the item's introduction and the reveal, and it got bad enough to where I deleted the SP last week. I put up with Pawn Stars because there's still enough actual history there to keep things semi-interesting, but I don't need this.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
type_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
I'd been meaning to start a thread on it. They clearly did some retooling for this new season, because you're right, it seems like these days it's all about:

(a) Ron's feet;
(b) Ron and Tyler picking; and
(c) Rick expressing faux concern over some potentially insurmountable problem only to have it miraculously solved at the last minute

The restorations have devolved into ten-second flashback sequences sandwiched between the item's introduction and the reveal, and it got bad enough to where I deleted the SP last week. I put up with Pawn Stars because there's still enough actual history there to keep things semi-interesting, but I don't need this.
Yeah after the last two episodes I canned my sp as well. The bicycle reveal was stupid they didn't even show anything on it. Was great when it first started but now it is history. I am guessing now that kounts kustoms guy will get his own show too haha
Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by type_g View Post
I am guessing now that kounts kustoms guy will get his own show too haha
I seem to remember he had his own show. Maybe it was just a few episodes, I can't remember.

I do miss the restoration process though. They need to get back into it.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

Yes, I have bailed too -- ever since the family/shop drama became even more of a focus than it was at first. If I wanted to see picking, I'd watch American Pickers. Oh wait, I did watch that but have since bailed out on that too.

Pawn Stars is hanging by a thread, only b/c I still find some of the nuggets of info interesting. But that's another one that's become so phoney baloney with the family/Chumlee segments I can barely stand it either.

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdelande View Post
If I wanted to see picking, I'd watch American Pickers. Oh wait, I did watch that but have since bailed out on that too.
Just curious - why? Pickers hasn't really changed much since it started. Maybe a few more cutesy segments with Danielle but otherwise still good.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
blacknoi

I too am burning out on all these jobs shows.

Pawn Stars, when I found it midway through S3, I watched all of S1 and 2 on netflix like an addict. Fantastic. Now it seems repetitive and faker than ever.

American Pickers has just gotten on my nerves.

American Restoration was always good if you FF'ed through the fake manufactured drama scenes, and just watched the actual restoration happening. Why retool it into a drama now?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Just curious - why? Pickers hasn't really changed much since it started. Maybe a few more cutesy segments with Danielle but otherwise still good.
Just got bored with it. Nothing major, but I let them pile up while the regular TV season was in swing and when I went back to view them I just felt like I had been there done that with the genre.

KD

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Idearat

All of these shows seem to rot over time.

It's bad enough that History channel wants to show all the "highlights" at the opening, then before each commercial, with a recap when coming back from commercial. I think that leaves it with less that 15 mins of un-repeated content.

We get the pop up questions and answers bumpering the commercials too, further reducing the actual show content.

In the case of American Restoration they have to cut out more, and it's the restoration work that seems to go.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by type_g View Post
Yeah after the last two episodes I canned my sp as well. The bicycle reveal was stupid they didn't even show anything on it.
And didn't address the disappearing rear tail light. The one that Rick said at the beginning would be hard to find and add to the cost of restoration.

I assume it got dropped when the bike went overbudget. But they didn't say a word about it. Even when the before and after pictures seemed to highlight that it was missing.

I haven't quite given up, but I did fast forward through quite a lot of the auction episode. I want to watch stuff get restored, not your plans for an auction.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
dsmoot

I kept thinking the exact same thing. The show has absolutely no "restoration" in it anymore. I wish History Channel would go back to doing history.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
And didn't address the disappearing rear tail light. The one that Rick said at the beginning would be hard to find and add to the cost of restoration.
oh, you saw that did you?
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
marksman
ID-10-T

Yeah they should have stuck with the original title Rusty Nuts.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Yeah they should have stuck with the original title Rusty Nuts.
which just reminded me of "Wing Nuts."
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Donbadabon
Geocacher

And I'll rant about the episode where Ron was caught stealing Cowboy's sandwich from the fridge.

Complete BS and fabricated for the show.

Just restore things, stop with the silliness.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
Kenny4200

yeah....you guys are waaaaaaaaaaaaay right .... "leave the drama for your mamma"...and show me the restorations !
Kenny4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #17
Worf

I'm betting a lot of the restoration stuff is proprietary. After all, if you show people how easy it is, they'll attempt to do it themselves only to screw it up. And even worse, the more enterprising ones will setup a business to restore other people's work, but do such a lousy job that it gives everyone a bad name - think used car salesman.

American Restoration and Kount's Kustoms are the same - a fine line between what you show and what you keep out of the cameras to prevent people from getting false impressions and ruining your entire line of work.

The drama is to fill up the 20 minutes remaining. In the end, it's just one big ad for Rick's Restoration and Kount's Kustoms.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote