TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
wolfsmane

Tivo Premiere Tuner maybe?

I have had this Tivo for about 8 months, everything was working perfect until about 2 months ago.
My FoxHD station is 410, my CBSHD station is 405. It started with just the cbs station first. Would be watching it, and then it would look like it was pixelating. It would freeze, then pixelate a little then freeze. I would have to switch to the analog cbs, 05, to finish watching the show. Also, I have another TV using a cable tuner box, and a 2nd using a cable TV DVR. I would check both of those TVs when this happened, and they would be fine, no issues at all.
Then, FoxHD station started doing the same thing, everything would be fine, then boom, it would start pixelating, freezing, etc, just like CBS. These are the only two channels I have noticed it happening on, not to say it doesn't happen on any other channel, but I haven't caught it happening on any other channel.

Of course, this TV has Lifetime Subscription on it, and the last series 2 dual tuner I had, also had lifetime sub on it. The series 2 also has gone bad, needing a power supply from what I can figure.

As bad as cable DVRs are, I think from now on I'll not be buying any more Tivo's, as this is getting too costly and aggravating to own them.

Anyhow, would anyone have any idea as to what is causing this freezing, pixelating - and why is it only happening on 2 channels?
wolfsmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
DonaldBurns65144

Check your signal strength. Could be a cable signal problem.

Regarding your series 2 power supply. I had a Directv series 2 that died. I bought a new supply and fixed the problem. I then (I know did this backwards) looked at the old supply and saw that a couple of the large capacitors went bad. For the heck of it, I purchased some new cap's and replaced the bad looking ones. It too worked. Cheap fix if you can DIY.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsmane View Post
I have had this Tivo for about 8 months, everything was working perfect until about 2 months ago.
My FoxHD station is 410, my CBSHD station is 405. It started with just the cbs station first. Would be watching it, and then it would look like it was pixelating. It would freeze, then pixelate a little then freeze. I would have to switch to the analog cbs, 05, to finish watching the show. Also, I have another TV using a cable tuner box, and a 2nd using a cable TV DVR. I would check both of those TVs when this happened, and they would be fine, no issues at all.
Then, FoxHD station started doing the same thing, everything would be fine, then boom, it would start pixelating, freezing, etc, just like CBS. These are the only two channels I have noticed it happening on, not to say it doesn't happen on any other channel, but I haven't caught it happening on any other channel.

Of course, this TV has Lifetime Subscription on it, and the last series 2 dual tuner I had, also had lifetime sub on it. The series 2 also has gone bad, needing a power supply from what I can figure.

As bad as cable DVRs are, I think from now on I'll not be buying any more Tivo's, as this is getting too costly and aggravating to own them.

Anyhow, would anyone have any idea as to what is causing this freezing, pixelating - and why is it only happening on 2 channels?
I'd see about swapping out the CableCard before blaming the Tivo.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
wolfsmane

With the issues I have had over the years with my tivo's, it is easier to blame them, LOL !! J/k

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to look at that PSU and see if there is obvious cap problems, thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
mattack

I'd say signal strength problems or hard drive going bad.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
MeInDallas

Would really help to know what your signal strength is on this one. Look in your diagnostic screen, you can see it there.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
wolfsmane

Still checking, but it appears it may be the cable strength.

IDK why, but apparently I lost my mind when I originally connected everything, and I split the cable AND used a store bought piece of coax, connecting one to the Tivo and the other directly to the TV. I knew better than to do this.....geesh.

Anyway, my signal strength was varying up and down the meter bar from a high of 85 down to below 50 and occasionally to zero.

Disconnected the slitter, and connected cable straight to Tivo, and the signal strength stayed constant at around 89.

So far, so good.

BTW - I had NO idea the Tivo had the signal strength meter, nor the diagnostic built into it.

Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBurns65144 View Post
Check your signal strength. Could be a cable signal problem.

Regarding your series 2 power supply. I had a Directv series 2 that died. I bought a new supply and fixed the problem. I then (I know did this backwards) looked at the old supply and saw that a couple of the large capacitors went bad. For the heck of it, I purchased some new cap's and replaced the bad looking ones. It too worked. Cheap fix if you can DIY.