TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
rob_gendreau

Switching from Directv to Comcast and TiVO

Didn't see much recent info on this, so Iím interested in a current comparison. I had cable way back, and then Directivos up through Series 2, more than a few years ago. Currently have HR20 sat receivers, and full bore DTV packages.

What I had forgotten is that Comcast has different offerings in different areas, apparently. I had started looking around when DTV lost Viacomm last night, and was pleasantly surprised that where I live, Oakland CA, has some stuff that Comcast didn't list on their national website, like Fox Soccer in HD, SyFy in HD, and I think a few more. Am I correct in that?

I'm wondering what I should look out for in making the switch. I think I've got old coax running around parts of the house; does that need to be upgraded? do I have to get an installer (I could solder on new coax connections, if that's all there is to it)? And what services do I have to pay for with Comcast: on their site they list "digital service" and "HD service" and something for locals, but I couldn't understand what I'd need to order if I were to get two Premieres. Should I just buy the TiVos and then contact Comcast?

Any advice appreciated.

Rob
rob_gendreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

For DirecTV, look for the newer THR-22 Tivos.

But, if you are looking to switch service providers, Comcast will work on Tivo Series 3/HD or Premiere with cable cards. They would need to install a cable line if there previously wasn't one. Since these also work with antenna, you can use that source as well. Basically, you buy the Tivo from any where, get Tivo subscriptions for each Tivo box and have Comcast install a Multi-stream Cable card. Subscriptions are required for Tivo to operate, Premiere is 14.99 for the 1st, 12.99 for 2nd +, Older models such as Series 3/HD is 12.95 for the 1st, 9.95 2nd, monthly or lifetime at 499.99, 399.99 for the 2nd+ (This is called a Multi-Service Discount). This is for the lifetime of the Tivo box, not its owner.

For me, I also live in Oakland, but I get OTA antenna as its free with about 40 channels currently and do not see a need for the other channels such as sports, SyFy, etc.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
rob_gendreau

Thanks; that helps.

I'm still trying to figure out the details of what Comcast does; their fees are a bit obscure. I have good cable in my house, but I'm not sure about the cable run OUTSIDE the house. I understand they'd do that for free...I hope. There's nothing special about the wiring, right? just RG-59, some splitters, and a couple of ethernet cables to an existing router?

Rob
Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try to use as few splitters as possible as it will degrade the signal and/or its strength.

You can also use any router to connect to your network to get guide data, transfer recordings to/from Tivo. Wired connections are the best but if you require wireless, only Tivo branded N or G adapters are supported.

Cables coming into the house is usually coax, which also will go into the Tivo Premiere, but output is HDMI (has video and audio in 1 cable) or component (Green/Blue/Red) with Audio (White for left, red for right). There is no output coax, only 2 separate inputs coax for antenna and cable.

Premiere will not be able to use cable boxes, only cable cards, to record 2 channels at once.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 07-11-2012 at 07:33 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
mattack

Agree about the splitters -- I need an amplified splitter upstairs in my room because the house has too many splits already.. but that probably isn't the case for most people.

As for cable *outside* the house, if that needs upgrading, Comcast should do that for free since it's "their" equipment. That happened for us a few years ago when there was moisture in some of the external wiring.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
mp11

RG-59 is old school. They should change it out with RG-6 automatically without question.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
CreepinDeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post
RG-59 is old school. They should change it out with RG-6 automatically without question.
This is 100% true.

I haven't worked in the field since 2000 but even back then when we came upon RG-59 outside it was supposed to be swapped.
It can not support the full broadband capabilities of todays services as well as RG-6 can. I believe it attenuates too much.
At least that's what we were told back then.

We have noted issues with CPE where it's because a technician didn't upgrade their exterior RG-59 lines.
Now , if you have RG-59 in your walls, that's a different story.....that's your own equipment, not the cable companies.

We can replace it as a courtesy or charge for it. It's not a FREE service though.
It's up to the service technician and their supervisor.
Customers do expect everything for free naturally.
CreepinDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
rob_gendreau

If the cable's not marked, how can I ID it? I would assume that if it's foil and braid, it's RG-6. If just braid, RG-59. Correct?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Larry in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepinDeth View Post
We have noted issues with CPE where it's because a technician didn't upgrade their exterior RG-59 lines.
What about from the wall outlet to the receiver? Do you use RG-59 for that for its flexibility?
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote