TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
DDROW

HDVR2 3.1 software

I apologize ir this has been discussed but I haven't seen it. I recently pulled out an old HDVR2 receiver with the 3.1 software and was going to try to update to 6.4. A couple of questions. When I hooked it up it tries to gather info from the satellite but it never gets past 79%. I had it hooked up for several days and still 79%. Does anyone know if the satellite and 3.1 is even compatible anymore. Is it possible to use this unit without a new hard drive? If it is compatible will the 6.4 ever down load to the unit with 3.1 or does the unit have to have the 6.2 do upgrade?

Thanks for all the help I have received over the years.
DDROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
It should be able to get 6.4, but the guide data issue may make this difficult. Try this. Disconnect the satellite feeds and power up the box. When it gets to the point where it complains about "searching for satellites", press the TiVo/DirecTV button. Then reconnect the sat feeds and wait.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
DDROW

Unfortunately I tried to go through guided setup before I asked about this. It is stuck trying to load info in guided setup. The only way I have of restarting is to unplug the power. Every time it starts up it goes backinto guided setup. It is not letting me access any other functions until this completed. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

That stinks. If you're willing to start from scratch you can obtain and restore a 6.4a backup.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
DDROW

Unit did finally get out of guided setup and I am again able to get to recordings and the dtv button works again so I am able to get to settings. I tried what Stevel suggested and it still gets 79% and no more.
Any other suggestions?

Obtain and restore a 6.4 backup? How do you do this? I have 4 other hdvr2 running 6.4 is there a way to copy from these to the 3.1 to update? Is there a way to update to 6.4 without a phone line? I have been able to dial in 2 different times trying to update to 6.4 but both times it was downloading for about 2 hrs and then it failed saying the call was interrupted. I do not have a local dial in number so this is now 4 hrs of toll charges and still no update. If I keep this up I would be better off buying a new bigger hd.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You can copy the disk from a working HDVR2 to this one, and then do a "Clear and Delete Everything" - this will get you going, but you'll lose any recordings and settings. See the Underground section for info on disk copying. You could buy a larger HD and use that for the copying if you like.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
DDROW

Finally after a couple of months I was able to get through guided setup. I can watch live TV and use pause and backup functions but not able to record until I force a call. I still have 3.1 software but it is working sort of. I have tried most all the numbers listed in my area code (I do not have any local numbers) but I cannot get any of them to connect. Does anyone know if 3.1 can even do a dial in or if 6.4 is still available to down load? I know it was a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDROW View Post
Finally after a couple of months I was able to get through guided setup. I can watch live TV and use pause and backup functions but not able to record until I force a call. I still have 3.1 software but it is working sort of. I have tried most all the numbers listed in my area code (I do not have any local numbers) but I cannot get any of them to connect. Does anyone know if 3.1 can even do a dial in or if 6.4 is still available to down load? I know it was a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the help
Quote:
It should be able to get 6.4, but the guide data issue may make this difficult. Try this. Disconnect the satellite feeds and power up the box. When it gets to the point where it complains about "searching for satellites", press the TiVo/DirecTV button. Then reconnect the sat feeds and wait.
Don't just "wait," do a "Daily Call" from "Settings." I had to go through this in December, last, to force a s/w update from 3.1.1 to 6.4a on a moth-balled brand new SD-DVR40. Kept stopping at 60% (with cables in). I disconnected one of the cables and when I got the "can't acquired satellite information" I hit DTV Central button and got to "Settings." The 6.4a won't update through the sat, must be on phone line. I got a tip from another forum on how to do this: do a "Daily Call" but include the 1-area code - local number instead of just local number, and I never lost modem connection again. Took all night (from 9pm to 5:30am) but I woke up the next morning and there was 6.4a and all is well with my old Hughes DVR40. Worked for me.

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote