TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
am95

Question about cable cards & FiOS

I currently have a TiVo + cable card that is paired with FiOS. I have a second unit on the way. To my understanding, pairing is necessary to view channels that are copy-protected, in the case of FiOS - HBO and Cinemax.

What I'd like to do if possible is pair the existing cable card to the new unit so I can get HBO. Can I just go through the whole process again or do I need to pick up a new card? I don't care about HBO on the second unit and when I do need to use this, can I just move the card to this unit without having to pair it?
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
skierrob

You do NOT need a new card. You just need to call FIOS at 888-553-1555 and either (a) talk to TECH SUPPORT and tell them to *re-activate* the card and that you need to give them the HOST ID and DATA ID. Or (b) I believe there is an automated option in the tech support menu but I wasn't able to find it.

But I had a cable card in a Tivo HD yesterday, pulled it out and put it in a new Tivo Premiere this morning and re-activated it today.

If the tech doesn't know how to help you, though, you may need to call back to find someone who knows how to do this. Do not use the word "pairing" with them -- they have no clue what it means. Use the word "activate". And when they tell you it is already activated tell them you have a new HOST ID and DATA ID and you need to re-activate. That seems to make sense to them.

Robert
skierrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
am95

Thanks.

Do you know if that card that you paired with the Premiere will still work with HD in it's un-paired state for all the channels minus HBO and Cinemax?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
skierrob

I have no clue. I don't want to risk not getting recordings while I remove the cable card from the Premiere. Sorry.

I can tell you I got all channels on my Premiere except for the protected ones before I called FIOS support to get it re-activated.

I would never consider using one cable card in two Tivo's though.

Robert
skierrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
am95

Quote:
I have no clue. I don't want to risk not getting recordings while I remove the cable card from the Premiere. Sorry.
I understand.

Quote:
I can tell you I got all channels on my Premiere except for the protected ones before I called FIOS support to get it re-activated.
I guess that's another way I could have asked but it does sound like it should work based on that.

Quote:
I would never consider using one cable card in two Tivo's though.
I imagine your not alone but not really a big deal for me. The other one wouldn't be used much and I'd rather just save the $4 a month.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

The card will still work for unencrypted channels. At least it does here in a non Frontier area. I just needed to call the automated CC line to pair the cards again. It only took a few minutes to pair three cards with the automated process over the phone.

The FiOS number to call for the automated cable card activation is 1.888.897.7499
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote