TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
dkraft

Recordings

It appears all recordings on all stations are cut of by about 10 seconds. When playing back a recording, the recording has about 10 seconds from the previous program. It is almost like my cable company is on a 10 second delay. Anyone having this problem? Comcast cable Naples Florida. XL4
dkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
mattack

VERY highly doubtful. Are you SURE this isn't just the tactic that VERY many popular networks/shows have been doing for well over a decade?

I have to pad MOST recordings one minute post (and I usually add a 1 minute pre too, even though as you can see, it's usually that things run over rather than start early).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
gwfrench

The time delay is probably from processing. From the network to your local cable system, to you. After all, the Tivo is running exactly on time to the second, and starts exactly on the button. It doesn't wait for the show to begin before recording.
Once a week I go through my to-do list and add a minute to all the shows that I know need it (generally comedies).
My favorite option that Tivo could add is a user configurable time offset to be applied to the system clock to allow for such system delays.
gwfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
dkraft

I am we'll aware of this tactic. This problem is on all channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
VERY highly doubtful. Are you SURE this isn't just the tactic that VERY many popular networks/shows have been doing for well over a decade?

I have to pad MOST recordings one minute post (and I usually add a 1 minute pre too, even though as you can see, it's usually that things run over rather than start early).

Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
dkraft

This problem has only started in the last 6 months, which leads me to believe it is something at the cable end. I was hoping others from my area could verify the issue. Comcast Cable Naples XL 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwfrench View Post
The time delay is probably from processing. From the network to your local cable system, to you. After all, the Tivo is running exactly on time to the second, and starts exactly on the button. It doesn't wait for the show to begin before recording.
Once a week I go through my to-do list and add a minute to all the shows that I know need it (generally comedies).
My favorite option that Tivo could add is a user configurable time offset to be applied to the system clock to allow for such system delays.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwfrench View Post
A tivo operates on time according to it's internal clock, however, that clock is not necessarily accurate to the second.

Quote:
It would be much easier to add 1 minute of padding to the season passes rather than to each individual recording

Last edited by scandia101 : 02-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Bigg

Every DVR I've ever owned has done that. The cable networks aren't exactly on time with things. They probably pad it so that people who are 30 seconds late to sit their butt on their couch catch the beginning of the program. I saw some weird situation with a college cable system where it was a good 30-45 seconds behind the same channel on OTA.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I grown to except it too. I don't think I've seen the ending of an ABC comedy in years. GRIN
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
waynomo
My One Time

I have found that NBC is bad in this regards. I need to pad those shows by a minute to catch the last few seconds of the "add on bit" at the end.

Is there a name for those 30 second segments at the end of shows. They are surely the first to get cut when the show goes to syndication.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote