TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #91
nirisahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
Don't forget Rory's Dad played Peterson on Red Drawf - and was in some of those Harry Potter movies. Didn't catch any references to RD though.
Solomon was also from the Harry Potter movies. Two in one show!
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #92
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
But when did Solomon have a chance to leave? The Doctor told him what he was doing, dropped the green rock, stepped off the ship, let the doors close, and released the lock. At what point (once he understood what the Doctor was up to) did he have a chance to leave?
He never even asked to go with the Doctor. If he had said, "I don't want to die here, take me with you," or "Let me off this ship before you release it," I feel sure the Doctor would have allowed him to leave/live. He said something like, he belileved that Doctor would never allow him to die, and when it became clear, because the Doctor said it, that Solomon's ship was going to be destroyed whether he stayed or left, it was his decision to stay on board. All he had to do was ask, but he was too proud of too sure of himself to do so.

The Doctor was really disgusted with Solomon for the genocide of the Silurians. His wounding Rory's dad, and his killing of the dinosaur, both just to secure the Doctor's unwilling cooperation, pushed him pretty far too. I'm sure the Doctor's sympathies were being suppressed by his outrage. Even so, had Solomon asked, I believe he would have survived.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #93
pgogborn

The judgement of Soloman was so far out of the Doctor's normal protocols I am wondering if he is going to reappear in a future episode.

But I think it is more likely that it is Steven Moffat changing things for no good reason (in my opinion).
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #94
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

He never even asked to go with the Doctor. If he had said, "I don't want to die here, take me with you," or "Let me off this ship before you release it," I feel sure the Doctor would have allowed him to leave/live. He said something like, he belileved that Doctor would never allow him to die, and when it became clear, because the Doctor said it, that Solomon's ship was going to be destroyed whether he stayed or left, it was his decision to stay on board. All he had to do was ask, but he was too proud of too sure of himself to do so.

The Doctor was really disgusted with Solomon for the genocide of the Silurians. His wounding Rory's dad, and his killing of the dinosaur, both just to secure the Doctor's unwilling cooperation, pushed him pretty far too. I'm sure the Doctor's sympathies were being suppressed by his outrage. Even so, had Solomon asked, I believe he would have survived.
There was plenty of time for Solomon to get up and go. He offered the Doctor a bribe instead. Then the Doctor asked if the Silurians had begged. Total time Solomon had to get started to leave: 32 seconds. And he was able to stand and move.

The Doctor telling him what he was going to do WAS the option he gave him.

And for the nth time. This is NOT new.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #95
robojerk

The Doctor kills people all the time, it's just what happens when you time travel and put yourself in situations like these. I always saw the doctor hating guns because he knows how many people have died because of him and he doesn't want to be in a situation where he does something rash with something like a gun.

And no, I do not think he was planning on saving Solomon, I think things went down just as the Doctor intended them to.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #96
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
Don't forget Rory's Dad played Peterson on Red Drawf - and was in some of those Harry Potter movies. Didn't catch any references to RD though.
Spoiler:
future show spoiler, open at own risk
Spoiler:
Next week's episode appears to have a pretty big RD reference.
I saw a tiny reference to RD in "Asylum of The Daleks" when the puppet that found Amy introduced her & the Doctor to the rest of his crew (RD ep "Kryten")
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #97
tgrim1

The first thing I thought when I seen Solomon was, "Damn, that"s Charlie!"

(Bonus points for the reference!)
tgrim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #98
Church AV Guy

Quote:
And for the nth time. This is NOT new.
Maybe so, but it has certainly promped a lively discussion. That one single event has been at the center of most of this thread. I doubt that was the intent, but it most certainly was the result.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #99
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
BBC has a poll asking whether or not people agree with the Doctor's decision regarding Solomon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0
Scroll down the page a bit.
The pole results (so far) are:

...the Doctor was right to leave him there! 54.1%
...the Doctor should have saved him. 27.1%
Iím undecided! 18.8%

I guess most people think he got what he deserved, for a fictional character in a fictional show.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #100
sonnik
Innovations.

I know that the current showrunner has said he wasn't likely to dig too far back into the "Classic" era...

But for about 5 seconds, I thought Solomon (before his identity was fully revealed) was going to turn out to be Sabalom Glitz. Sabalom was in a similar line of work, but was msotly a good guy.
sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #101
Church AV Guy

Quote:
But for about 5 seconds, I thought Solomon (before his identity was fully revealed) was going to turn out to be Sabalom Glitz. Sabalom was in a similar line of work, but was msotly a good guy.
Goodness, I had completely forgotton about him!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #102
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
I know that the current showrunner has said he wasn't likely to dig too far back into the "Classic" era...

Ah. The dark days.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #103
cheesesteak
Meh.

Here's a line from the Alan Sepinwall comments section that I thought was interesting.
Quote:
An interesting, almost throw away line came from Rory, indicating that he was 31 year old. Which means that he and Amy have been palling around with the Doctor for 10 years now in fits and starts (as they were about 21 during most of The 11th Hour, ignoring 18 year old Amy in the opening sequence). So when Amy says that his visits have been more and more infrequent, she wasn't kidding.
I remember Rory stating his age but didn't think it was relevant enough to do the math.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #104
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Here's a line from the Alan Sepinwall comments section that I thought was interesting.
Quote:
An interesting, almost throw away line came from Rory, indicating that he was 31 year old. Which means that he and Amy have been palling around with the Doctor for 10 years now in fits and starts (as they were about 21 during most of The 11th Hour, ignoring 18 year old Amy in the opening sequence). So when Amy says that his visits have been more and more infrequent, she wasn't kidding.
I remember Rory stating his age but didn't think it was relevant enough to do the math.
Also, I think it's fair to assume that they have had many adventures not chronicled on the show. Rory made a comment about aging faster than those around them on Earth-- this would imply years of time spent with the Doctor outside Earth's standard timeline.

So does Rory count only time spent on earth toward his age? Or does he count time in the Tardis and other planets as well (assuming the Doctor returns them within hours of when he fetches them)? Has he lived 31 years, but is living 22 years after his birth on Earth? Or is he living 31 years after his birth on Earth and is actually much older?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #105
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelter View Post
Also, I think it's fair to assume that they have had many adventures not chronicled on the show. Rory made a comment about aging faster than those around them on Earth-- this would imply years of time spent with the Doctor outside Earth's standard timeline.

So does Rory count only time spent on earth toward his age? Or does he count time in the Tardis and other planets as well (assuming the Doctor returns them within hours of when he fetches them)? Has he lived 31 years, but is living 22 years after his birth on Earth? Or is he living 31 years after his birth on Earth and is actually much older?
If I had to guess I think that'd be 31 years if he'd lived continously on earth. IOW the age he gives all the time to be consistent with his driver's license and other paperwork.

I assume he'd have to stop and think about it longer if he tried to figure out and use his personal timeline age; rather than his "born in 1981" age.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #106
stellie93

So that's how they can have jobs and kids and stuff and still run off with the Doctor whenever he comes around. They just come back where they left off. Cool.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #107
Lymis

Quote:

He lived from Roman times up through the end of the Universe. He's at least a couple thousand years old in lived experience.
Lymis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #108
aaronwt
HD Addict

They go into this on the show from last night. The one with the cubes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #109
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymis View Post
He lived from Roman times up through the end of the Universe. He's at least a couple thousand years old in lived experience.
True-- but that wasn't even his own body from before the reboot-- much less his rebooted body. Granted, somehow he retained the memories, so it's fair to consider-- just doesn't count toward him saying he is 31 years old (obviously).
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #110
morac
Cat God

Quote:

True-- but that wasn't even his own body from before the reboot-- much less his rebooted body. Granted, somehow he retained the memories, so it's fair to consider-- just doesn't count toward him saying he is 31 years old (obviously).
Interestingly that makes his "life experience age" greater than the Doctor's, despite being physically younger.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #111
rich
Final answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Interestingly that makes his "life experience age" greater than the Doctor's, despite being physically younger.
That's very timey-wimey!
rich is offline   Reply With Quote