TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Duplicate season passes

What happens if you add duplicates on SPs - is it smart enough to only record it once - or does it record two?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
HomeUser

Normally, if the guide data is correct. I have Season Passes for "Doctor Who" from 3 different sources BBCAHD, SYFYHD and CBET (Canadian) the TiVo does not record duplicates. Looking at my Season pass manager I also have a leftover duplicate Season Pass on the SD channel BBCA making the total 4. Even when the program was in the guide for all 4 channels The DVR recorded only one copy.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post
What happens if you add duplicates on SPs - is it smart enough to only record it once - or does it record two?
It's very difficult to have a true duplicate SP. Remember that SPs are channel specific. If you try to set an SP when one already exists, it doesn't ask to create a new one, the TiVo instead will ask about modifying the existing one.

If you have SPs for the same show on different channels, it follows the normal SP rules. Which means it is quite possible you will get multiple recordings. Depends on the conditions (FRO, new broadcast, etc).
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
mattack

…and if you need to record the same show on multiple channels, OFTEN a better solution is an auto-recording wishlist..

I won't say always, since in some cases, it's more trouble than it's worth (e.g. Nova), though I think I still have that as an ARWL. I get a lot of false hits though.. (and heck, for a lot of my generic, e.g. juggling, ARWLs, every couple of months I have to keep nuking the same recordings in the To Do list.. I really wish I could easily add NOT THAT SHOW to the WL.. rather than trying to manually add a -KEYWORD.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Thanks all - OK, what happened was I had season passes that weren't recording - so I added them again online. Guess I will soon find out. Some of those online entries took forever to get added to the box so I added them on the box again too! All on the same channel, same time.

The Tivo was just being stupid and not seeing NEW episodes (Merlin new season 5 was one example).
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post
The Tivo was just being stupid and not seeing NEW episodes (Merlin new season 5 was one example).
BBC shows like Merlin you cannot set to Record 1st Run only as the Original Air Date is when it 1st airs in England several months ago. That's one of those shows you have to set as 1st run and repeats, then once in a while you have to cancel repeat marathons from ToDo list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
BBC shows like Merlin you cannot set to Record 1st Run only as the Original Air Date is when it 1st airs in England several months ago. That's one of those shows you have to set as 1st run and repeats, then once in a while you have to cancel repeat marathons from ToDo list.
Thanks I kind of figured it was something odd like that for Merlin.

My duplicate season passes all have been processed - "All upcoming episodes of this Season Pass have been scheduled and now appear in the To Do List."

It appears that for existing SPS (already in my list), they were simply merged/replaced in place. New ones were added at the bottom of the To Do List.