TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

CableCard or Tuning Adapter

I just replaced a Premiere with an XL4, and now if I step up thru the SDV channels I eventually reach a point where channels come up totally blank -- no error message, nothing. Typically it is every other channel -- if I go up one from a channel that works, or an odd number, no picture; up two or even, it usually works.

Does this sound like a CableCard issue, or a Tuning Adapter issue. SA card and adapter on TW Rochester.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
scole250

I assume everything worked as expected on the regular Premiere?
I hear the 4 tuner Premieres are more sensitive to signal strength and noise levels. Signal has to be split 4 ways instead of 2. On the T/A diagnostic screen, check the SNR level. I think it should be over 30. FDC should be no more than +/- 10. Closer to 0 the better. If those are out of range, call TWC to clean up the signal on the coax.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I assume everything worked as expected on the regular Premiere?
I hear the 4 tuner Premieres are more sensitive to signal strength and noise levels. Signal has to be split 4 ways instead of 2. On the T/A diagnostic screen, check the SNR level. I think it should be over 30. FDC should be no more than +/- 10. Closer to 0 the better. If those are out of range, call TWC to clean up the signal on the coax.
The FDC was looking like -15, so I added a 15dB amp (with a reverse channel) and SDV acquisition seems faster now -- we will see how it goes over time.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
SNJpage1

I know this is going to sound dumb and I didnt take the time to look it up but do you need 4 cable cards (two multistream) for the 4 tuner Tivo?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
do you need 4 cable cards (two multistream) for the 4 tuner Tivo?
No, a M card can support 6 tuners.