TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
ajwees41

batch delete

is there anyway to delete all tivo suggestion recordings at once? I set up my my tivo and accidentally turned them on and now have over 30 to delete.
ajwees41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

You can press Clear on the Suggestions folder and that will remove all of the recordings in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
You can press Clear on the Suggestions folder and that will remove all of the recordings in it.
thanks
ajwees41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
lrhorer

Why bother? They aren't hurting anything, and if you make good use of the Thumbs-Up and Thumbs-Down buttons, the suggestions can be a rich source of quality programming.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Some people don't want extraneous recordings on their boxes, there's nothing wrong with that.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
lrhorer

Actually, there is, but it is more fundamental than not wanting extraneous recordings on the box. It is a matter of thinking of a program as "extraneous". If one does not wish to ever watch a particular program, then it serves no purpose, but it also does no harm. It can certainly be deleted, and will be - by the TiVo if not its owner. Considering any class of programs "extraneous", however, suggests a mindset common among TiVo owners that for some reason they must keep space open on the hard drive, and this is simply false. There is no reason for a TiVo's hard drive to be kept anything but full. Anything less is a waste of the TiVo's resources.

On top of that, suggestions are particularly innocuous. They are more volatile than any other program except a deleted one, and the are segregated away in their own folder. They have zero impact on the TiVo's functionality.

It's a little bit like keeping one's swimming pool half empty because if enough people jump in, it might overflow.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The only downside to automatically recording Suggestions is your Recently Deleted folder will be depleted in no time.
Sometimes I like to be able to restore a program that I deleted a week ago to refresh my memory for the TV Talk section.
I compromise by browsing the Suggestions list, and manually record something if it looks interesting.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Actually, there is, but it is more fundamental than not wanting extraneous recordings on the box. It is a matter of thinking of a program as "extraneous". If one does not wish to ever watch a particular program, then it serves no purpose, but it also does no harm. It can certainly be deleted, and will be - by the TiVo if not its owner. Considering any class of programs "extraneous", however, suggests a mindset common among TiVo owners that for some reason they must keep space open on the hard drive, and this is simply false. There is no reason for a TiVo's hard drive to be kept anything but full. Anything less is a waste of the TiVo's resources.

On top of that, suggestions are particularly innocuous. They are more volatile than any other program except a deleted one, and the are segregated away in their own folder. They have zero impact on the TiVo's functionality.

It's a little bit like keeping one's swimming pool half empty because if enough people jump in, it might overflow.
That's an excellent example of being very narrow minded for no reason.
I just don't understand how or why people feel the need to act all 'holier than thou' in regards to how one manages a Tivo. It's just ludicrous.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The only downside to automatically recording Suggestions is your Recently Deleted folder will be depleted in no time.
True, but if the TiVo is full, this is going to be the case anyhow.

Quote:
Sometimes I like to be able to restore a program that I deleted a week ago to refresh my memory for the TV Talk section.
I must say I have never wanted to un-delete a program a week after it was deleted. Once or twice I have realized the next day I had accidentally deleted something I wanted, but by a wide margin the undelete feature is used within moments of deleting a program, if it is used at all.

Quote:
I compromise by browsing the Suggestions list, and manually record something if it looks interesting.
But that means you have to do something. What is the point of buying a slave - and one that is much more competent than ones' self at that - if one must do the work ones' self?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
etz

one other reason someone may not want the extra suggestions recordings.... say I have a new-episodes only season pass for a program, and have some of those unwatched new episodes all in one folder. As older repeats of the same program get recorded as suggestions, they appear mixed together in the same folder.

I know it's easy to distinguish the new from the suggestions by the symbol, but it's still messy.
etz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
That's an excellent example of being very narrow minded for no reason.
No, the attitude I mention is an example of being narrow minded, and to the end that it makes a great deal of unnecessary work for one's self. The OP has two primary means of accomplishing the thing he seems to want:

1. Go around deleting things on his TiVo(s).
2. Do nothing.

Given that (2) is not only less work but far more effective and accurate, what is the justification for (1)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I just don't understand how or why people feel the need to act all 'holier than thou' in regards to how one manages a Tivo. It's just ludicrous.
Your attempt to discredit my position by an ad hominem attack on me does not in any way invalidate my suggestion. This has nothing to do with feelings of superiority or inferiority, or indeed with emotions of any sort. It merely has to do with the simple fact one is wasting one's time trying to do a better job of managing the TiVo than the TiVo does itself left completely unattended. Just for the record, it is not "holier than thou" to realize no human being can do a better job than the TiVo, or that attempts to do so are born at best of a poor understanding of how the TiVo works.

Last edited by lrhorer : 05-25-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etz View Post
one other reason someone may not want the extra suggestions recordings.... say I have a new-episodes only season pass for a program, and have some of those unwatched new episodes all in one folder. As older repeats of the same program get recorded as suggestions, they appear mixed together in the same folder.
Well, that's true, although I have never created a new-episodes only season pass.

1. The new episode only filter is not 100% accurate.
2. Whenever an episode is pre-empted (especially locally) or otherwise lost, it means I will miss it again during subsequent airings. This means unless I watch like a hawk for the re-run, I would never see it at all.
3. If the series episodes are not for the most part worth viewing a second time, then IMO the series is not worth viewing the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etz View Post
I know it's easy to distinguish the new from the suggestions by the symbol, but it's still messy.
It's never bothered me. Quite to the contrary, it means when I do miss an episode, I will stand a good chance of seeing it on a syndicated channel before it is rerun on the primary channel. Thus, overall I consider this a good thing.