TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
babatunde

Migrated from XL to Premier - a couple of questions

I've had a Tivo for something like 10 years I think. My last was the XL HD. I went through 3 of them (previous posted this problem) as they all started to freeze after a day or two. Screen would go all kind of purple/yellow. I figured it was time to upgrade so I bought the lowest-end Premier as I don't need the features of the higher end ones.

1. The UI is extremely slow compared to my XL. I tried turning off some of the menu features like the live feeds from different channels, but it still shows the live feed in the RH corner for the channel I'm on and it's still dog slow. Is there any way to get back to just a list of my shows without the video window, which I'm assuming is causing the slowness?

2. Similar question for Netflix. It's not only horribly slow (as others have noted here), but also I can't find my shows without scrolling SLOWLY through the picture icons of each show. I just want a list of my shows like before.

I know my cable connection is good - usually 100% strength and my home computer connection screams.

Any thoughts or help appreciated.

thanks

BT
babatunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
babatunde

Oops I think I found answers in the FAQ to my first question at least and will try when I get home.

BT
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
moyekj

The HDUI is Flash based and anything Flash just runs slow on Premiere compared to non-Flash UI. You can switch to SDUI (non-Flash) to speed up the UI in general. (under Settings->Display)

New Netflix app is also Flash based just like the HDUI and is terribly slow. Nothing can be done about it as old one isn't available to series 4 units.

Slowness gets worse the more tuners the unit has. Preview is pretty snappy, 2 tuner unit less so, 4 tuner unit the worse of all. I would expect if/when Mini releases with no tuners that it will be the fastest of the bunch running HDUI.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

How new is it? It takes a few days to sort things out (software versions, downloading guide data, ect), so the first 48 hours or so are not necessarily indicative of usage over time.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
babatunde

Thanks moyekj and jrtoo

My unit is a couple weeks old. I've probably used it a total of 4-8 hours since then.

I will look to change the UI to SD. I thought I did that but maybe I only turned off the banner of shows at the top. I need to spend more time with the settings apparently.

Netflix is just horrid to navigate!

BT
Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

I just realized, you are wireless? There is your problem. While some have an ok-good experience the tivo really responds best with a wired connection. I won't go into interference issues that can show a laptop sitting at 100% while the tivo skips a beat, its just reality.

If you can test that out, I'd be $1 that many of your issues will go away or be less irritating. With the new netflix I made the change (which I had done on an older unit earlier), and it was night and day. Though, it is still slower than the old interface.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
babatunde

Not wireless -- good solid ethernet. It does go through two hubs (my main and a small one in the TV room), but my old XL didn't really have the Netflix problem. It looks like maybe I upgraded at the same time they upgraded the NFX interface, because that's when I saw the new UI. Either that or it just didn't work on my old XL.

It would likely be way faster if I could simply list the movies like they used to be in text form instead of the bejillion movie cover graphics I have to scroll through now.

BT
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
babatunde

Reporting back: I figured out finally how to switch to the SD menus, and it's way faster now.

As for Netflix's new menus..... Somebody really didn't do their homework there.

BT
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

Netflix owns their interface now. It was only updated for the premiere. For me, netflix is awkward and slower to load, but no issues scrolling the screens.

I'm no network expert, but we know the Preimere does use a lot more bandwidth than older units. So, that would be my suspicion w/r/t speed. But hey, if the SD menus make you happy, I would not bother tracking anything down further. I would just check out the changes in the UI we expect shortly to see how the optimizations help things out.