TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
bradleys
It'll be fine....

TiVo Mini - Dynamic Tuner Allocation

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/t...nder-hands-on/

Since I have been feeling in a contrary mood lately - and aparently haven't already stirred the pot enough... I have another thought.

I was reading this article on Engadget for the TiVo Mini. I do love the idea of the Mini and I think we will all agree that dynamic tuner allocation is going to be the driving feature.

And according the the article it is coming:

At launch, the Mini will take over one of the four tuners of the XL4 if you want to watch live TV on it, but dynamic tuner allocation is on the road map

But I had a sinking feeling as I was answering another post this morning. Is it possible that the road map for dynamic tuner allocation exists only in the next platform upgrade?

Is that an S5 feature only? Dave Z brought up an interesting thought about the current sales and what could easily be inventory reduction strategies...

What do you guys think?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Hadn't thought of that. I have to think it's completely resolvable on a software level, but forced obsolescence isn't a new concept. That being said, my total W.A.G. is that this won't be the case.

Here's a little more fuel... We may get dynamic tuner allocation, but what if it's still not opened up to 2-tuner boxes? Or what if, to your point, it only works on 2-tuner S5's?

Total speculation of course, but it was something that crossed my mind.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Thumbs down

It'll lock down a tuner at first when it launches in December 2013 because anyone who thinks they are getting this thing out in March 2013 is out of their mind.

Then TiVo will work on Dynamic Tuner Allocation with the same drive that they are going after Android support for the Stream.

Translation: Don't hold your breath, never gonna happen.

TiVo's new corporate logo = My Avatar.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think we're going to see a "Series 5" any time soon. They may do a hardware refresh and maybe even bump up the specs a little to help ease the performance issues of the HDUI, but I can almost guarantee it will still be called a Premiere and share a common software base with the current units. (kind of like the 2 generations of S3 units) So I don't think there is any reason to worry about dynamic tuner allocation being held back for a new platform.

Also keep in mind that, even in it's initial state, a Mini will only steal a tuner from your TiVo if you allow it to. If you don't need live TV on the Mini then you'll be able to turn that feature off and use the Mini strictly to stream pre-recorded shows. So it's not as bad as some have made it out to be.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't think we're going to see a "Series 5" any time soon. They may do a hardware refresh and maybe even bump up the specs a little to help ease the performance issues of the HDUI, but I can almost guarantee it will still be called a Premiere and share a common software base with the current units. (kind of like the 2 generations of S3 units) So I don't think there is any reason to worry about dynamic tuner allocation being held back for a new platform.

Also keep in mind that, even in it's initial state, a Mini will only steal a tuner from your TiVo if you allow it to. If you don't need live TV on the Mini then you'll be able to turn that feature off and use the Mini strictly to stream pre-recorded shows. So it's not as bad as some have made it out to be.

Dan
But if that is the case then why won't they let the Mini be used with a two tuner Premiere?
They make it sound as if initially, you will have no choice but to allocate a tuner to the Mini, even if you don't plan on watching Live TV. If you don't have to allocate a tuner for it then there is no reason it can't be used with a two tuner Premiere. But they've already said that it needs to be used with a four tuner TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But if that is the case then why won't they let the Mini be used with a two tuner Premiere?
They make it sound as if initially, you will have no choice but to allocate a tuner to the Mini, even if you don't plan on watching Live TV. If you don't have to allocate a tuner for it then there is no reason it can't be used with a two tuner Premiere. But they've already said that it needs to be used with a four tuner TiVo.
I'm not sure why they don't allow it to work with a 2 tuner unit. Maybe because the scheduling logic is not designed to handle less then 2 tuners and if the user enabled live TV on the Mini it would turn a 2 tuner unit into a 1 or no tuner unit.

There is an option on the Premiere units right now that clearly allows you turn the live TV feature on/off and if you enable it it gives you a warning about how your Premiere will only be able to record 3 shows.

Dan
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
donnoh

How many people that own a Tivo actually watch live tv? To me owning a mini and having it hijack a tuner is no big whoop.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
spaldingclan

I probably watch live TV about 10% of the time if even that. When I say Live I mean, not even a buffer. I'd say about 50% of our watching is of programs still recording though. Maybe 20 minutes behind on a 1 hour show.
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
How many people that own a Tivo actually watch live tv? To me owning a mini and having it hijack a tuner is no big whoop.
So you're okay with turning your 4-tuner TiVo into a 3-tuner TiVo?

For our household, four tuners is barely enough. There's no way I'd give up a tuner for the little use it would get in the second room.

I already gave up on the mini and put in another Premiere anyway, and I don't think I have ever watched live TV on it.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I certainly do not want it to high jack any tuner. I never watch live tv.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I do... I have been known to let the buffer cache some of the show so I can skip commercials, but my family uses live TV quite a bit.

Sometimes you are not in the mood to watch what you have recorded you know, and channel surfing can be a rather zen experience!

Maybe I am just old school!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Never! We record everything. We do occasionally start watching something while it's recording, but we always let it buffer enough that we can skip the commercials. (even sports) The only time in the last 5 years I can remember watching live TV was when some breaking news was happening. (wild fire, IHOP shooting, etc...)

Dan
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
BigJimOutlaw

I personally almost never watch live TV, but not only do I have the WAF to consider, but an entire "FAF" which includes regular live TV watching among a bunch of TV sets.

As it is, I can tolerate losing a tuner on the Elite for a while because I/we almost never go over 3 recordings at a time on that box. And when we do, at least one of them is always a replaying cable show that simple conflict resolution can resolve.

I do kinda wish they'd remove the mandatory 4-tuner requirement though, and just say "live TV streaming with a 4-tuner Tivo" rather than backtrack the sales messaging after telling people their 2-tuner Tivo isn't supported for setup. They can sure as hell sell more that way too.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 01-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
shwru980r

When you allocate the tuner from the premiere 4 are you going to have to wait for the premiere 4 to check the to do list to see if anything won't record and then confirm each one before the tuner is allocated? Or if all 4 tuners are in use when you try to allocate a tuner,will it let you pick which show to cancel and tand then check the to do list before allocating the tuner?

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
buscuitboy

Question Wow!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
When you allocate the tuner from the premiere 4 are you going to have to wait for the premiere 4 to check the to do list to see if anything won't record and then confirm each one before the tuner is allocated? Or if all 4 tuners are in use when you try to allocate a tuner,will it let you pick which show to cancel and tand then check the to do list before allocating the tuner?
See, this is EXACTLY the reason I am MUCH closer to seriously considering dumping TiVO and going with one of the 3-4 tuner SiliconDust and/or Ceton products (along with Xbox360 units) that not only use ONE cable card for the entire house, but will also easily allow me to hook up multiple TVs that can then tune "live" TV at any time without worrying about a tuner getting "locked down" for that TV set. Sheeeeesh!!

Last edited by buscuitboy : 01-28-2013 at 10:45 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
You're overthinking it. It will most likely be lowest priority loses just as when you normally run out of tuners, and after a few minutes of changing the tuner allocation you can check ToDo to see if any shows won't record.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote