TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #181
nrc
Cracker Soul

Do Tim Tebow's teammates know that he's a white supremacist by association?

None of the sources you cite say that they support the death penalty for homosexuality. They actually deny it.

Not entirely square
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #182
jschrader666
Jay

I don't believe the FRC supports the Ugandan bill, however they actively promote discrimination against LGBT people and believe that it's a lifestyle choice and they try to take away civil rights from a group of people. They spread lies against gay people to convince others to believe their propaganda. Tebow is linked to this organization.

Now I don't think Tivo supports the killing of anyone, nor do I think they even have the same beliefs as a company, but by employing a person with ties to a hate group they are giving the impression that they support his beliefs. By paying Tivo, who in turn pays. Tebow, who will then in turn help fund the FRC. You have a right to boycott a company, just like the wackjobs that boycott JCpenny because of Ellen. If you think it's a stretch, fine but don't critique people that don't want to fund a hate group, no matter how indirectly it is.

If I don't agree with the policies, beliefs or anything else it's my prerogative if I want to drop them
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #183
BigJimOutlaw

To support the bill was to support imprisonment and capital punishment. That's a pretty giant point of the bill. He's not going to flat out say it. He supported the bill before he was "against" it... as the catch phrase goes. He may or may not have legitimately changed his mind when he scrubbed his support of it from his site. As I said, he has a history of saying one thing to one audience and then backtracking later to another. But either way he's not the righteous individual he sells himself and his group as.

I'm not playing the "Six Degrees" game as some others are with Tebow. I don't actually care about Tebow or Tivo's use of him (other than thinking the commercials are kind of lame) but I will point out the hate groups and why they are hate groups when they are mentioned, regardless of Tivo and Tebow. I think it's important to make the clear distinction between legitimate, respectable religious groups and individuals like this.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-10-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #184
jadziedzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschrader666 View Post
Now I don't think Tivo supports the killing of anyone, nor do I think they even have the same beliefs as a company, but by employing a person with ties to a hate group they are giving the impression that they support his beliefs. By paying Tivo, who in turn pays. Tebow, who will then in turn help fund the FRC.
So by that logic I presume you are boycotting the NFL since they are also enabling Tebow's support of this "hate group"?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #185
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
So by that logic I presume you are boycotting the NFL since they are also enabling Tebow's support of this "hate group"?
Watching the NFL on a TiVo you purchased from Walmart, especially if you are rooting for the Jets, is the ultimate ideal for a hater.

So basically, all companies should fire any employee (Or paid rep) who supports a political cause that any potential customer or client may have a disagreement with. Let's practice tolerance and get rid of all those people who don't think like us. We will teach them to be tolerant!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #186
chazas

1. Just because you hold tolerance as a core value doesn't require you to tolerate intolerance. The opposite, in fact.

2. If you're gay, like I am, this is a big deal. I'm not getting rid of my TiVos, but I would consider if if there was a better solution out there. No one is saying that TiVo is itself homophobic. But that doesn't mean they're being really insensitive to part of their customer base. There are plenty of celebs out they could have used there who wouldn't have this kind of baggage.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #187
DaveDFW

Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with Tebow's views and associations, the very fact that the he is causing so much controversy within Tivo's fan base shows he was probably a poor choice as a spokesman.

The vetting of Tebow as spokesman apparently stopped as soon as someone noticed his name rhymed.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #188
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
And here he is cheering it on.

And the text from the Way Back Machine that he has since scrubbed where he criticized the president for not supporting it:

http://web.archive.org/web/201003151....cfm?i=CM10B11

And here he is giving a speech to a white supremacy group:

Highslide JS

And the FEC's ruling where he was fined for hiding his purchase of David Duke's mailing list for over $80,000 while managing a senator's campaign:

http://eqs.sdrdc.com/eqsdocs/0000016F.pdf

He basically has multiple personalities. Says extreme things to a friendly audience, bends the truth to others, and appears modest to mainstream audiences.

So, there's that. Yes, we're clear on Perkins and his FRC.
so since you're an expert on everything Perkins/Tebow, this little argument is over right? Man you make a huuuuge leap between the Ugandan president and Tebow....left wing much?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #189
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
so since you're an expert on everything Perkins/Tebow, this little argument is over right? Man you make a huuuuge leap between the Ugandan president and Tebow....left wing much?
Reading is fundamental. I said quite plainly I don't make those connections.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #190
jschrader666
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post
1. Just because you hold tolerance as a core value doesn't require you to tolerate intolerance. The opposite, in fact.

2. If you're gay, like I am, this is a big deal. I'm not getting rid of my TiVos, but I would consider if if there was a better solution out there. No one is saying that TiVo is itself homophobic. But that doesn't mean they're being really insensitive to part of their customer base. There are plenty of celebs out they could have used there who wouldn't have this kind of baggage.
That's my feeling as well but trying to get some people with thick skulls is a challenge
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #191
jschrader666
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
Read much? That's not a Valid comparison. For one I don't give a rats ass about football but anyway we are talking about tivo and their choice of spokesperson.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #192
rahnbo

Today I noticed the AOL On icon down near the YouTube and Amazon icons in the NPL list today. Had to groan because I just tried the Android App https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.mobile.aolon from the Play Store and quickly realized it was nothing more than 15 second commercials followed by 15-30 seconds of old content. Tried the Tivo version and it was the same old junk. Then I went to the Tivo.com page to see what's up and found two losers on the same page. I guess the next step in Tivo's master plan is to start placing ads in defunct Circuit City flyers.

Last edited by rahnbo : 12-12-2012 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Fix URL
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #193
SnakeEyes

I'll admit I know very little about this but your post is pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
And here he is cheering it on.

I'm going to need some context here. For all we know this was said prior to more knowledge of the guy. Liberals like to do that with quotes

Quote:
And the text from the Way Back Machine that he has since scrubbed where he criticized the president for not supporting it:

http://web.archive.org/web/201003151....cfm?i=CM10B11
Link isnt working at this time

Quote:
And here he is giving a speech to a white supremacy group:

Highslide JS
Can you elaborate please on when/where/who he is speaking too?

Quote:
And the FEC's ruling where he was fined for hiding his purchase of David Duke's mailing list for over $80,000 while managing a senator's campaign:

http://eqs.sdrdc.com/eqsdocs/0000016F.pdf
And?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #194
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I'm going to need some context here. For all we know this was said prior to more knowledge of the guy.
Tweet dated 10:35 AM - 26 Nov 12. The bill has been known for about 2 years. And which guy? Perkins?

Quote:
Liberals like to do that with quotes

Quote:
Does for me.

Quote:
The who and where is self-explanatory. The date was 5/17/2001. Among the CoCC's principles is to "oppose all efforts to mix the races of mankind".

Quote:
And?
Buying the Klan's mailing list to help a Senator's election, falsifying the associated records, and giving speeches to such groups does not require additional comment to the character and agenda of this individual.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-12-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #195
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The people he's friends with are friends with people....
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
... he's just a supporter of a supporter of people....
Wow....stretching much?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #196
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

Tivo should pick Margaret Sanger next. Most liberals don't know the story behind her, yet support her fully.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #197
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome View Post
Tivo should pick Margaret Sanger next. Most liberals don't know the story behind her, yet support her fully.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #198
jschrader666
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I'll admit I know very little about this but your post is pretty bad.

I'm going to need some context here. For all we know this was said prior to more knowledge of the guy. Liberals like to do that with quotes

And?
Wtf? Both liberals and conservatives do it, it's not exclusive to liberals. In fact conservatives are the ones that twist the truth to make this point valid, or they are not above just making crap up! See Michelle Bachman, Rick Santorum, and the queen Sara palin!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #199
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Wtf? Both liberals and conservatives do it, it's not exclusive to liberals. In fact conservatives are the ones that twist the truth to make this point valid, or they are not above just making crap up! See Michelle Bachman, Rick Santorum, and the queen Sara palin!
FYP below:

Quote:
Wtf? Both liberals and conservatives do it, it's not exclusive to liberals. In fact liberals are the ones that twist the truth to make this point valid, or they are not above just making crap up! See Harry Reid, George Stephanopoulos, and the King Barak Obama!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #200
jadziedzic

Quote:
Read much? That's not a Valid comparison. For one I don't give a rats ass about football but anyway we are talking about tivo and their choice of spokesperson.
Why yes, thank you, I *do* read a lot; I'm wading through "The Satanic Verses" right now (wow, what a coincidence; I wonder if Mr. Tebow has read that?). But back to our regular programming: If you're incensed with the *principle* of TiVo paying money to a person who promotes "hate groups" then it's a reasonable extrapolation that anyone else who pays that person also violates that principle.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #201
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacee View Post
This is disgusting. Apparently Tivo is courting the Jocks for Jesus demographic. I will not buy another Tivo unless they dump this side-line kneeler who wants to shove his religion in everybody's face.

I guess some idiot in the marketing department thought Tivo-Tebow sounded cute. No, it's offensive to anyone who believes in freedom of and from religion.

Tebow is the kind of self-righteous hypocrite Jesus himself denounced. Tebow should stay in his closet and pray in secret as Jesus commanded. Instead he does Lord, I thank thee that I am not as other men - I'm a superjock with a commercial endorsement.

Tivo has become the Chick-Fil-A of consumer electronics.
a bit extreme, but I agree fully with your sentiments on Tebow.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #202
daveak
Series 3 Novice

This is one of the ugliest and most intolerant threads I have ever seen on TCF.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #203
Dan203
Super Moderator

OK I think this one has gone far enough

Dan
Closed Thread