TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
doni49

New Tivo Premier, Exist Tivo Expander. PROBLEMS!

I bought a new Tivo Premier last night and activated it today. I had a WD Tivo Expander on my S3 HD. But the S3 went as a hand-me-down to family and I wanted the expander for my own use.

I unplugged my S3's power cord, then unplugged the Expander from the S3's eSATA port. Then when I connected the Expander to the Premier's eSATA port and powered up the Premier.

I went through the process of connecting to my network and through guided setup. Then after that, it wanted to reboot. When it rebooted, it said that it had detected an external drive and asked if I wanted to set it up for use on this Tivo box. I confirmed that I DID want to do so. It eventually got to a screen that said the expander had been set up for use with this Tivo box and it would be "a few minutes more". I saw that screen for about 45 minutes.

Then I eventually called Tivo tech support and was told that it should only be on that screen for 4-5 minutes at the most. He had me unplug the Premier's power cord and reboot it. I did so (leaving the Expander connected via the eSATA port).

It still refuses to get past that "Almost there.... Just a few minutes more" screen. So he has me unplug the power cord from the Premier then unplug the Expander from the eSATA port and then plug the power cord back in to the Premier without the Expander attached. I did so and it acknowledged that there was no external storage attached and asked if I wanted to continue. I told it yes--at the rep's instruction.

It still sticks at the "Almost there......" screen.

Now I can't get it to get past that screen no matter what!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

TIA!

Edit: I've continued to search and just came across a link that seems like it's gonna help. So far it's passed both the Initial state & Short test. It's half way through the Conveyance test. I'll post back here and let y'all know the results.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/..._id/308#drives

Last edited by doni49 : 04-07-2012 at 12:11 AM.
doni49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
doni49

It looks like this is going to run all night. If I go to bed with it running, will the results still be on the screen when I get up (assuming it's finished the tests by then)?

TIA! (again)
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
doni49

I'm here to give y'all an update. Both the Tivo HD AND the Expander passed all tests. I called tech support and told them the situation. The rep had me reboot the Tivo and this time it booted up fine.

The rep thinks that the tests somehow fixed the problem(s).
Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
ctcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post
I'm here to give y'all an update. Both the Tivo HD AND the Expander passed all tests. I called tech support and told them the situation. The rep had me reboot the Tivo and this time it booted up fine.

Glad it worked out for you. I was lucky it seems as I unplugged my Expander from the series 3, plugged it into my Elite and there it was, no trouble at all.
ctcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post

Did you divorce the expander from the S3 before disconnecting it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote