TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Supernatural - "Trial and Error" - 2/13/13

Well that was a long time coming for me. I was sitting in my chaise bawling like a 5 year old. Not even ashamed. This show just continues to surprise me and tear my insides to shreds.

And finally!! Character growth! Brother connection that felt REAL. Felt familiar and organic and not contrived. This season the last few episodes is finally feeling like the show I've come to love so much. I'm almost forgetting that Sam didn't look for his brother. The one he's now [once again] convincing he has a reason to live.

These speeches both made me cry rivers, especially Sam's back to Dean at the end:

Dean: I need you to be safe, Sam. We’ve been down roads like this before, man…we both know where this ends. One of us dies or worse.
Sam: So what? You just decided that’s you?
Dean: I'm a grunt, Sam -- you're not, you've always been the brains of this operation. You told me yourself that you see a way out, you see a light at the end of this ugly ass tunnel ... I don't. I'll tell you what I do know; I'm gonna die with a gun in my hand, that's what I have waiting for me, that's all I have waiting for me. I want you to get out, I want you to have a life, become a Man of Letters, whatever. You with a wife and kids and grandkids, living 'til you're fat and bald and chugging viagra ... that is my perfect ending, and it's the only one that I'm gonna get. So I’m going to do these trials, and I’m going to do them alone. End of story.

Sam: It’s a suicide mission for you. I want to slam Hell shut, too, but I wanna survive it, I want to live, and so should you. You have friends up here, family ... hell, you've even got your own room now. You're right, okay? I see light at the end of this tunnel and I'm sorry you don't, but it's there, and if you come with me, I can take you to it.
Dean: Sam, be smart.
Sam: I am smart, and so are you. You're not a grunt, Dean, you're a genius -- when it comes to lore ... you're the best damn hunter I've ever seen, better than me, better than dad. I believe in you, Dean, so please, please, believe in me too.

Just kill me now. Seriously. There is no show I've ever watched in my entire life that had the ability to make me cry like a child. I should be embarrassed by that but I don't even care. That's how great I think this show is. I am going to be lost when it ends. I am more attached to these fictional character than I am to people I know in real life. Sad but true.

Okay so other thoughts. The hellhounds were really cool. I was impressed by the graphics of the show. I loved how they showed Sam literally bathing in its blood as he sliced it open above him. Very cool.

Dean has his own room!! And a picture of his mom. Gah. Sam smiling at it was sweet. And memory foam! It remembers him! Oh Dean. And him cooking for Sam. Cripes these two. (when he said he didn't realize Dean knew what a kitchen was, all I could think about was Dean in Season 6. The opening of the premier where he's cooking for Lisa and Ben )

And can I say how happy I am that Sam finally got to save his brother from the Hellhound that he couldn't do at the end of Season 3. Imagine how satisfying that had to be for him. It sure was for me! I really like that Sam is the one doing the trials. I just assumed it would be Dean. Sam needs a win. He needs to be the hero of the season FOR ONCE. Thank you writers for seeing that and acting on it. I'm tired of Sam being the kicked dog, the one always struggling with his dark side. Gosh this is just such a nice surprise for me, you don't even know.

I could go on but I'll give you guys a chance for input before I add more.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.

Last edited by photoshopgrl : 02-14-2013 at 08:11 AM.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,512
The thing I'm wondering is what's going to happen?

After all, the show was renewed, so the boys aren't going to be able to successfully close the door to Hell (well, at least not this season).

But won't this be the first time their season-long quest has failed?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
The thing I'm wondering is what's going to happen?

After all, the show was renewed, so the boys aren't going to be able to successfully close the door to Hell (well, at least not this season).

But won't this be the first time their season-long quest has failed?
You mean unlike their success Season 3 in stopping Dean from going to Hell or Season 4 in stopping Lucifer from being set free?

Yeah there's no way they can manage that. Even though .... if they did, it's not like that would be the end. Still plenty of monsters out there that aren't from Hell.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
After all, the show was renewed, so the boys aren't going to be able to successfully close the door to Hell (well, at least not this season).
Well, maybe it's true what they say...one door closes, another opens.

Maybe to a place that makes Hell look like Heaven...

And of course Heaven itself doesn't seem to be under the best management these days as well. Maybe they will need Hell next year to ally with.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Vendikarr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
You mean unlike their success Season 3 in stopping Dean from going to Hell or Season 4 in stopping Lucifer from being set free?

Yeah there's no way they can manage that. Even though .... if they did, it's not like that would be the end. Still plenty of monsters out there that aren't from Hell.
Closing the door could be only the beginning. What about the demons on this side of the door when it happens? Some like it here.. do they go into hiding? Some may decide to create a hell-on-earth. And what about the ones pissed they can't go back. Open season on Winchesters? And what if Crowley is on this side of the door when it slams. King without a kingdom is gonna be maaad.

Exorcising them sent them back to hell and out of their body. What would that mean to a demon when they can't return to hell? Exorcisims no longer work?

Lots of potential fun with Hell closed.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Church AV Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: high desert California
Posts: 2,305
I was wondering the same thing. If Hell is closed, how do you EVER get rid of the demons that are currently here? Do the spells, hex bags, etc no longer work? This could be a BAD rather than a good thing! I know, it SOUNDS good, but is it really?

Okay, who didn't guess that the caretaker had made a deal with Crowley?

...and where in the cosmos has Cas been? I would think HE would find the Men of Letters story and library of information very interesting.
__________________
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
TampaThunder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Just kill me now. Seriously. There is no show I've ever watched in my entire life that had the ability to make me cry like a child. I should be embarrassed by that but I don't even care. That's how great I think this show is. I am going to be lost when it ends. I am more attached to these fictional character than I am to people I know in real life. Sad but true.
Now I know we have a ton of lawyers on this board but there has to be at least one psychiatrist/psychologist who can talk you down off the ledge! Seriously.

It is rare for a show to go so long and be able to maintain the high enjoyment level as this one does. I daresay it's getting better and better. Even the little stuff is good. Kevin eating hot dog after hot dog had me cracking up. "You need a salad and a shower." LOL I never thought I'd ever hear Dean say salad. And who knew he could fry up a masterpiece of a burger. "I like a man who can handle his meat."

The only thing I was expecting that I was disappointed in when I didn't get it was when Dean first turned down the girl. I was hoping she'd something like "Oh, you and Sam are together?". That would've been awesome. But, I nitpick.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
The only thing I was expecting that I was disappointed in when I didn't get it was when Dean first turned down the girl. I was hoping she'd something like "Oh, you and Sam are together?". That would've been awesome. But, I nitpick.
Since they were introduced (perhaps for the first time in the history of the show! ) as themselves, perhaps she knew they were brothers? I can't recall if they specifically mentioned it ("This is my brother Dean, and [gestures towards empty space] this is my other brother Dean")...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Since they were introduced (perhaps for the first time in the history of the show! ) as themselves, perhaps she knew they were brothers? I can't recall if they specifically mentioned it ("This is my brother Dean, and [gestures towards empty space] this is my other brother Dean")...
OH MY GOD that is twice in under an hour that same Newhart reference was made to me. Someone at lunch just now said it not even talking about Supernatural. hahaha LOVE IT
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Well that was a long time coming for me. I was sitting in my chaise bawling like a 5 year old. Not even ashamed. This show just continues to surprise me and tear my insides to shreds.

And finally!! Character growth! Brother connection that felt REAL. Felt familiar and organic and not contrived. This season the last few episodes is finally feeling like the show I've come to love so much. I'm almost forgetting that Sam didn't look for his brother. The one he's now [once again] convincing he has a reason to live.

These speeches both made me cry rivers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Dean has his own room!! And a picture of his mom. Gah. Sam smiling at it was sweet. And memory foam! It remembers him! Oh Dean. And him cooking for Sam. Cripes these two. (when he said he didn't realize Dean knew what a kitchen was, all I could think about was Dean in Season 6. The opening of the premier where he's cooking for Lisa and Ben )

I found that whole sequence very interesting as maybe it mean a change for Dean, in that he can really set down roots and have a space of his own now.
(Not sure if he had one when he was living with Lisa or not.)
It's certainly a change from what he's known most of his life, sleeping in one crappy motel after another if not some nights in the Impala.

So you would agree it looks like this season is going to be hitting all of the marks this year?
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
So you would agree it looks like this season is going to be hitting all of the marks this year?
I'm still bugged by Sam not looking for Dean. I'm still wondering why they chose to give him the story with Amelia that essentially went nowhere instead of something, anything else that would have meant him looking for Dean. It does seem that every season they do this, give me that one single thing that will forever drive me nuts when I think about it too much. I can live with that I guess.

That aside, yes, the show is absolutely hitting the marks and I dare say last night's episode is one of the best of the series. I mean it's right up there with the dozen or so that I watch over and over and cry and love each time I do.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
sean67854
Why?
 
sean67854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wouldn't you like to know.
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I was wondering the same thing. If Hell is closed, how do you EVER get rid of the demons that are currently here? Do the spells, hex bags, etc no longer work? This could be a BAD rather than a good thing! I know, it SOUNDS good, but is it really?
The knife and the colt both kill the demons as opposed to exorcising them, so I suppose they could just continue that way.

And Cristina, I don't want to minimize or stereotype your feelings in any way, but it occurred to me that the boys seem to encompass pretty much every attribute that those magazines say that women want in a man.

They are sensitive badass hotties that can cook and romance.
__________________
Sean <><
"I'm the keeper of the cheese....."

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
And Cristina, I don't want to minimize or stereotype your feelings in any way, but it occurred to me that the boys seem to encompass pretty much every attribute that those magazines say that women want in a man.

They are sensitive badass hotties that can cook and romance.
Oh but I don't get emotional over them for the reasons of "oh he's so great, I want one just like it." It's all about the brother feelings. Their bond. The lengths they will go for each other. It in itself is supernatural because I don't believe that kind of unrelenting codependency and self sacrificing loyalty could ever exist in reality.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
sean67854
Why?
 
sean67854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wouldn't you like to know.
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Oh but I don't get emotional over them for the reasons of "oh he's so great, I want one just like it." It's all about the brother feelings. Their bond. The lengths they will go for each other. It in itself is supernatural because I don't believe that kind of unrelenting codependency and self sacrificing loyalty could ever exist in reality.
That makes sense. Do you think you having met them in real life amplifies your feelings at all? I mean since you know they are genuinely good guys in real life, maybe that lends more credibility to the brother bond.
__________________
Sean <><
"I'm the keeper of the cheese....."

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
That makes sense. Do you think you having met them in real life amplifies your feelings at all? I mean since you know they are genuinely good guys in real life, maybe that lends more credibility to the brother bond.
Ummm I'm not sure meeting them had any direct affect on it but knowing they are so close off set as well and then seeing that up close in person at the convention certainly adds to it immensely. They really have become as close as brothers. It's pretty awesome to watch them interact. The entire reason behind my wanting to go to the conventions.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,701
Wouldn't it be funny if that episode with the "real" them was right, they really DO hate each other's guts, and they're just much better actors in their personal appearances than we give them credit for?
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
sean67854
Why?
 
sean67854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wouldn't you like to know.
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Wouldn't it be funny if that episode with the "real" them was right, they really DO hate each other's guts, and they're just much better actors in their personal appearances than we give them credit for?
The French Mistake?
__________________
Sean <><
"I'm the keeper of the cheese....."

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Wouldn't it be funny if that episode with the "real" them was right, they really DO hate each other's guts, and they're just much better actors in their personal appearances than we give them credit for?
No! It would be so very sad. You are not allowed to even say such things!
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |