TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
CIP54

Odd HDMI Audio glitch

I have a relatively new Premiere XL4. A month ago I suddenly lost audio through the HDMI connection (Pioneer AV Receiver, 18 mo old). Video is fine but audio just "pops".

Tried a new HDMI cable, no effect. Switched to a different HDMI input on my receiver, problem resolved.

Now, a month later, problem comes back. Same result- switching HDMI inputs fixes the issue.

I have a cable box, blue ray player and xbox 360 all connected to the same receiver with HDMI and no issues at all.

I realize that I can switch to component video and digital audio but I really shouldn't have to. Things ought to work!

Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
JandS

You might try checking for "HDMI handshake" issues, a particularly good source would be the website www.avsforum.com

Apparently this issue is often related to device(s) being sometimes turned on/off in a different order, causing the HDMI connections to get mangled.

For example, here's a similar issue (with different devices) and a (small) explanation a couple of postings down by one of the forum's expert members (Sound of Mind):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1153097/de...#post_23594949

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIP54 View Post
I have a relatively new Premiere XL4. A month ago I suddenly lost audio through the HDMI connection (Pioneer AV Receiver, 18 mo old). Video is fine but audio just "pops".

JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
unitron

Yes, things ought to work, but HDMI, and it's evil sidekick HDCP, *are* the spawn of Satan.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
CIP54

any idea why it could work for a while then stop working?

when I checked out the above link, the order of turning on devices seems to matter, but the tivo is always on, so can't really deal with that one!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
JandS

For whatever reason (and there are about as many postulations as there are proven facts) HDMI connections are just "touchy" that way; they're basically a chain and occasionally one device will cause a blip that another device interprets wrongly.

Another issue can be the HDMI cables themselves. Many are directional, they have arrows indicating the signal directions. Others aren't. Some are $xx, others are $x. You'll see as many opinions as there are cable mfg about what makes a "good" cable. We went through a set of Vizio cables from a big box store that we just couldn't seem to get a stable result from and ended up getting another Monoprice set that have been working perfectly.

As a general rule I turn on the AVR first, then the TV. As you say the Tivo is always on, but in our case the TV (Sony Bravia NX810) always goes through a little routine of "checking for external speakers" so I always try to turn the AVR first so that the speakers are found.

Another aspect may be the order of connection between your devices; in our case we have cable connection going to the Tivo, then Tivo to AVR, then AVR to TV. That way we can listen to the radio channels when the TV is off. Our other Tivo is quite different setup, no AVR but instead a Zvox speaker.

If you also use your AVR with other devices (e.g. a CD player) then it could be that when you switch inputs there's some sort of an HDMI handshake that blows away the connection to the Tivo's signal.

On the AVS forums there was a long thread a couple of years ago about HDMI audio dropout problems and the most reliable way to solve it turned out to be getting a Monoprice HDMI splitter, which basically "fooled" the AVR into not getting the problem signals that blew away the audio to another device. Here's a long thread reference:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1097316/wi...#post_16264397

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIP54 View Post
any idea why it could work for a while then stop working?

when I checked out the above link, the order of turning on devices seems to matter, but the tivo is always on, so can't really deal with that one!

JandS is offline   Reply With Quote