TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
TiVoEvan74

Is this a no-brainer? Tivo Premiere w/ 236 hr vs. TP XL...

DVR Upgrade sells new Tivo Premiere with internal 1.5 TB hard drive, meaning 236 hours of HD recording. For $250. (AFAICT, they are new with internal HD.)

OTOH, BH Photo sells Tivo Premiere XL with 150 hours. For $213. Vann's sells it for $200.

Is the larger recording space worth the trade-off in lost features (seemingly only a glow in the dark remote & THX certification)?

If one buys from a 3rd party, are there glitches or issues in activating lifetime with Tivo?

I suppose, in any case, that I should pay for a month's fee first, in case I decide to return the Tivo!
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

THX is not really a meaningful difference as the consensus is that these units share a motherboard and software and thus the smaller unit was just not certified. The remote is a detail as well (though I prefer the sliding remote- worth the purchase).

No issues with lifetime from another source.

I thought that you had 30 days to cancel lifetime, so I would save the $14 out of the box.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
DVR Upgrade sells new Tivo Premiere with internal 1.5 TB hard drive, meaning 236 hours of HD recording. For $250. (AFAICT, they are new with internal HD.)

OTOH, BH Photo sells Tivo Premiere XL with 150 hours. For $213. Vann's sells it for $200.

Is the larger recording space worth the trade-off in lost features (seemingly only a glow in the dark remote & THX certification)?

If one buys from a 3rd party, are there glitches or issues in activating lifetime with Tivo?

I suppose, in any case, that I should pay for a month's fee first, in case I decide to return the Tivo!
You could buy both of them and hook them up to the same TV to do an A/B comparison. I think you get a free 1-2 weeks service on a Tivo that's never been activated. You should be able to tell in that time which one you prefer. Then you can return one for a refund once you decide.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
TiVoEvan74

Appreciate the replies...

Shouldn't the pictures be the same?

The OTA tuners should work the same, right? (See another thread in the Help Center, where I'm curious about OTA ability of the Premieres vs. a converter box and a Series 2).

I'll look into the 30 day cancellation of lifetime; it's a question of whether it'd be worth the hassles of $14 for the inevitable screw-ups, consumer battles when the canceling doesn't work. I suppose, though, I could just not pay the credit card bill, but all that's probably more rigamarole than I want to go through!

In any event, it seems that the only real difference between the basic Premiere and the XL are external (remote and THX certification). Hence, hard drive size should matter most.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
BlkBear

Quote:

I'll look into the 30 day cancellation of lifetime; it's a question of whether it'd be worth the hassles of $14 for the inevitable screw-ups, consumer battles when the canceling doesn't work. I suppose, though, I could just not pay the credit card bill, but all that's probably more rigamarole than I want to go through!
When you "check into it" you will find that the 30 days start the day it ships. So start your 30 day count down from the day it was shipped/ordered. Found this out when I asked how long I had to get the Lifetime Subscription, after activating the XL4 I bought last week. The rep told me when it ships, that is when the 30 day clock started, so when I got the notice later that day (the 9th) that is when my 30 days started. So I decided to order it today to get it over with.
BlkBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
DonaldBurns65144

Larger HDD's are always worth it as long as the price delta is reasonable. The only difference between the two is the XL has a small program to adjust your picture. I bought a XL and found using the THX program did tweak my picture settings somewhat. Worth the cost for me. If you don't plan on using the THX software to tune your TV picture to match their brightness/contrast and color standard then the XL is worth $0.00 extra. It's a one time use unless you ever change TV's etc. Just don't delete the THX program if you ever hope to reuse it. It's gone forever if you delete it and you have a plain Premiere from then on and so the program forever takes up a tiny bit of the XL HDD. So if you buy a Premiere you can always purchase a CD for adjusting PQ from other sources if you think you want to play with your picture. If going for HDD size - go for the full 2TB's.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
TiVoEvan74

Continued thanks... The 30 day sub stars with shipping or ordering-- that's pretty bad!! It obviously should start with activation of the box.

Where would I find a new Tivo Premiere with a 2 TB hard drive already in it?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Continued thanks... The 30 day sub stars with shipping or ordering-- that's pretty bad!! It obviously should start with activation of the box.

Where would I find a new Tivo Premiere with a 2 TB hard drive already in it?
The box is activated before it ships isn't it? I know my launch boxes were, and that was when the warranty started as well. I believe the TiVoHDs I got from the father's day deal several years ago were also the same way.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
jespenshade

If you're looking for a lightly used Premiere with a 2tb drive, Lifetime, & the XL Glo remote, you can't go wrong with this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330746577398...84.m1586.l2649

I've heard it's from an excellent seller!
jespenshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
leiff

My XL4 I got from E-expo didn't come activated. But maybe that's because it was an OPEN BOX! Quite unfair when I was expecting new.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
gthassell

In addition to JepsenShade's very nice ebay listing (see above) - I just received my new Elite, so I will shortly be putting up an Premiere XL, and a Premiere that's been upgraded to 2 TB. If anyone's interested, please just PM me.
lifetimed S1s, S2, and S3 OLED, Premier 4 tuner (2TB)
gthassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
ajwees41

Quote:

Shouldn't the pictures be the same?

The OTA tuners should work the same, right? (See another thread in the Help Center, where I'm curious about OTA ability of the Premieres vs. a converter box and a Series 2).

In any event, it seems that the only real difference between the basic Premiere and the XL are external (remote and THX certification). Hence, hard drive size should matter most.

with a S2 and converter box it's a single tuner while the Premieres are dual tuner.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote