TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #121
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I can't think of a way it would make it more profitable given that there aren't any commercials.
More people subscribing, higher retention rates, more DVD/Blu-ray/digital media sales. The question is would 90 minute episodes grow the audience, shrink the audience or have no impact on the size of the audience.
Also if they were to increase the production budget, is a longer episode where they want to spend their money. There definitely other things that the money could go to.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #122
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post

No, whether its scripted or not makes no difference. In a scripted scene, for instance, even on small budget shows, you'll have two, three, four or more cameras shooting the same scene so that you can have the same scene with different characters point of view. This gives someone like me lots of options so that they can choose the right cuts for the moment. So actually the total footage shot is probably even greater....
You made the same point I did in the post you replied to. There is plenty of extra raw footage, but you can't edit together multiple angles of a conversation and make the conversation longer. In order for the extra footage to be useful for lengthening the episode, it has to be of additional stuff, not duplicates of the same stuff.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #123
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
More people subscribing, higher retention rates, more DVD/Blu-ray/digital media sales.
Do you really think there are people out there who might be interested in the show but refuse to watch it only because it's too short?
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #124
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
No, they'd been north of the Wall for several days. Remember they first went to Craster's place where John saw him offer a son as a sacrifice to a white walker. And then the Nights Watch group continued on from there for a few days before they reached the Fist and John was separated from the group. So I think Sam was quite a long way from the Wall at the beginning of this episode.
Yes, that's correct. And what might help give some perspective to it is HBO's map:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/season3...the-first-men/
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #125
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merkin View Post
Also, the final scene with scores of White Walkers and Wights descending on the wall was a very different picture than how it opened with Sam out in the open and one leftover Wight with an axe. What happened to the others? They lost motivation and went home? Didn't make sense to me. This show is obviously more tightly written than the Walking Dead but those two points stood out to me.
Aside from the fact they were at The Fist of the First Men (and not the Wall), I thought that the opening sequence (when the screen was all black) made it sort of clear. End of season 2, the white walkers were approaching the First of the First Men. In the opening of Season 3, we heard the sound of screams and clanking swords. Then the men of the Nights Watch rescue Sam from that wight, but they appear to be bloody. It would seem the white walkers attacked and lost (or else the Nights Watch somehow retreated from the battle)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #126
LordKronos

I was just reading through HBO's viewers guide updates for this episode. I had been wondering since last season who the Brotherhood was that kept getting mentioned at Harrenhall. I think a few other people here were confused about it, and I never heard an explanation. Well, here is what the viewer's guide says:

THE BROTHERHOOD WITHOUT BANNERS
A group of outlaws, they answer to Lord Beric Dondarrion, who was tasked by Ned Stark, then Hand of the King, to bring Gregor Clegane to justice. With Joffrey Baratheon's ascension to the throne, Lord Beric's men became a guerilla force, sabotaging the Lannisters' Riverlands forces at every opportunity.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #127
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Do you really think there are people out there who might be interested in the show but refuse to watch it only because it's too short?
No I don't and that's why I don't think they'll be making 90 minute episodes any time soon.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #128
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I believe each episode this year will be closer to an hour. I recall that one of the producers said that we would get 5-10 minutes extra for each episode in season 3 (relative to seasons 1 and 2). In effect, we will be getting the equivalent of 2 extra episodes crammed into the usual 10.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #129
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

On this 60 or 90 minute episodes...perhaps 60 minutes is just the drama sweet spot. People are really busy, there's so much competition, and it's so easy to download and watch so much more TV than we used to. If they went to 90 minute episodes (and remember, this is a full 90...or 87, whatever...no ads), do you think some people who are not die hards like us might not even give it a chance, or give up on it, simply because they don't have the time to devote to it? I know from my standpoint, very often when there are elongated episodes of shows I like, I might not "get to it" right away, since I don't always have that block of time available. Hence, why I have about 40 movies saved up to watch. Finding a 2 or 2 1/2 hour block is difficult. And GoT is not one of those shows you want to watch in 10-15 clips at a time. It's kind of why I wonder where people on this thread find the time to watch each episode 2-3 times. I can barely make it through one week watching all the stuff I like, watching sports, or the occasional movie. I've been wanting to do a rewatch of Lost for 3 years now, and I just can't find the time to give to it.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #130
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I'd be happy if they did a behind the scenes/bonus scenes/bloopers/interviews show at the end of each season.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #131
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
On this 60 or 90 minute episodes...perhaps 60 minutes is just the drama sweet spot. People are really busy, there's so much competition, and it's so easy to download and watch so much more TV than we used to. If they went to 90 minute episodes (and remember, this is a full 90...or 87, whatever...no ads), do you think some people who are not die hards like us might not even give it a chance, or give up on it, simply because they don't have the time to devote to it? I know from my standpoint, very often when there are elongated episodes of shows I like, I might not "get to it" right away, since I don't always have that block of time available. Hence, why I have about 40 movies saved up to watch. Finding a 2 or 2 1/2 hour block is difficult. And GoT is not one of those shows you want to watch in 10-15 clips at a time. It's kind of why I wonder where people on this thread find the time to watch each episode 2-3 times. I can barely make it through one week watching all the stuff I like, watching sports, or the occasional movie. I've been wanting to do a rewatch of Lost for 3 years now, and I just can't find the time to give to it.
Good point! Often, I have a mix of 30, 60, and 120+ minute shows to watch, and I usually start with the short ones because the longer shows "feel" more overwhelming. And I DO normally watch the 2+ hour movies in pieces because I seldom have that long at one time.

I was late with GoT this week due to a busy stretch, but when I finally saw it, I had the "it's over already?" feeling that others have mentioned. But it really does take an hour (or 57 minutes) out of what can be a busy life.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #132
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Good point! Often, I have a mix of 30, 60, and 120+ minute shows to watch, and I usually start with the short ones because the longer shows "feel" more overwhelming. And I DO normally watch the 2+ hour movies in pieces because I seldom have that long at one time.

I was late with GoT this week due to a busy stretch, but when I finally saw it, I had the "it's over already?" feeling that others have mentioned. But it really does take an hour (or 57 minutes) out of what can be a busy life.
Yep, it is the fastest hour on TV right now. I tend to look at the status bar quite often and the first time I looked with this ep was at the 45 min mark. Pretty cool. But we are the junkies. Someone who likes the show, but not love it might think twice about watching if it was 90 minutes.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #133
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I'd be happy if they did a behind the scenes/bonus scenes/bloopers/interviews show at the end of each season.
I don't recall what was on the season 1 bluray, but the season 2 bluray has a pretty cool behind the scenes, with a lot of info about the blackwater episode. There was also a roundtable discussion with a few of the actors/actresses.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #134
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Which I believe are already priced about as high as the market will bear.
Actually, I feel the dvd's/blurays of this show have been pretty reasonable so far. I got blurays of the first season for $35, and don't think I paid anymore than that for the second season. For a tv show, that's pretty decent, and by the way that hbo used to price their series far sale, it's a steal.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote