TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Jragyn

Exclamation Digital Antenna Bunny Ears & Series3 Questions

Hi everyone. I'm new here to the forums and can't find this question asked before on here. I could use all the help I could get.

I recently dropped DirecTV and have been receiving only live TV via digital antenna bunny ears for months. I'm finding it harder and harder to be okay with having to watch my shows live because I'm unable to record them and I hate that I can't pause and rewind live tv. I'm looking into buying a used TiVo on eBay. I have some questions about functionality.

I'm looking at a Series3 (service number starts with 652), and I understand that this unit IS compatible with OTA digital antenna WITHOUT needing a converter box.

1) Is this correct?
2) With digital antenna as my ONLY input on a Series3, can I still record 2 shows at a time and watch one that's already recorded? Or is it different? What are the limitations when using antenna only?

3) If I went with a Series2 instead (service number starting with 540), I would still need a converter box, right?
4) Series2 is not HD, right?
5) How many shows at once on antenna only on a Series2?

6) Is there a different series of TiVo you think would work better for me using digital antenna instead of Series3 (or Series2)?

Thanks for any info you guys can share.
Michael
Jragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
poppagene
User

[quote=Jragyn;9391970]I'm looking at a Series3 (service number starts with 652), and I understand that this unit IS compatible with OTA digital antenna WITHOUT needing a converter box.

1) Is this correct?
Yes
2) With digital antenna as my ONLY input on a Series3, can I still record 2 shows at a time and watch one that's already recorded?
Yes
Or is it different?
No
What are the limitations when using antenna only?
Non for your purposes.
3) If I went with a Series2 instead (service number starting with 540), I would still need a converter box, right?
Yes
Yes
One
6) Is there a different series of TiVo you think would work better for me using digital antenna instead of Series3 (or Series2)?
Series 4 Premiere or Series 4 XL may or may not work better for you as they have the capability to receive Hulu Plus.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Series 2 requires the digital converter box to record from antenna and only on 1 channel.

Series 3 (models TCD648, TCD652, and TCD658) and Premiere (models TCD746320, TCD746500, TCD748000) does record from 2 channels at once from antenna or cable or from 1 of each.

But, Premiere 4 (TCD750, TCD758) can only work on digital cable, no antenna.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Exclamation

[quote=poppagene;9392024]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragyn View Post
I'm looking at a Series3 (service number starts with 652), and I understand that this unit IS compatible with OTA digital antenna WITHOUT needing a converter box.

1) Is this correct?
Yes
2) With digital antenna as my ONLY input on a Series3, can I still record 2 shows at a time and watch one that's already recorded?
Yes
Or is it different?
No
What are the limitations when using antenna only?
Non for your purposes.
Yes
Yes
One
Series 4 Premiere or Series 4 XL may or may not work better for you as they have the capability to receive Hulu Plus.
The Premiere or Premiere XL are the two best choices. The Premiere 4/XL4/Elite do not have OTA ATSC (HD) tuners and are primarily for cable card users. The Premiere and Premiere XL can receive both OTA and Cable Card concurrently (the Premiere 4/XL4/Elite's can't!). Like you I am a former DirecTV customer, when I moved last Jan they were unable to hit the sat with a slimline forcing me to switch to TWC (yuck) I've had 4 dead tuning adapters and only 2 of the last 11 months w/o interruptions in service because of TWC equipment/signal delivery failures.

The entire Series 4 lineup can receive hulu, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Pandora and rumored is soon to have AOLTV.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
mr.unnatural

There is another option is you're so inclined. You can get a dual ATSC tuner card from AverMedia or Hauppauge for your PC and use Windows Media Center (included as part of Windows 7) to record your OTA programs (cost is approx $50 - 100 on ebay). No Tivo fees to pay and the guide data is free. You could buy a used SiliconDust HDHomeRun ATSC dual networked tuner on ebay for less than $50 and share it with any PC in your house.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote