TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
billypritchard
Embiggener

Arrow 10/17/2012 "Honor Thy Father"

Episode 2 wasn't quite as grabbing as the pilot, but I still liked it a lot. The action is very well done, but I'm not feeling his random revenge plots.

I do wish Speedy would open her mouth when she talks.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Episode 2 wasn't quite as grabbing as the pilot, but I still liked it a lot. The action is very well done, but I'm not feeling his random revenge plots.

I do wish Speedy would open her mouth when she talks.
Lana Lang(ole KK) did the same thing on Smallville, talking through her teeth as if she's afraid she'd be too loud.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

No green eye makeup this time?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
No green eye makeup this time?
BLACK eye makeup, and he had it. I was amused that we see him raise the hood without having the makeup on, and we never see him putting on the mascara. What a g-r-e-a-t disguise for a guy who fights hand to hand.

For that matter, BATMAN had mascara behind the cowl and we never saw it being out on or with the cowl off.

I wanna know why his best buddy seems to live in his house.

I guess EVERYBODY, from Mom on down is secretly evil.

Was that white-haired Chinese chick a well-known regular villain?

How about cop Dad saying thanks for saving her life, but stay away from here because trouble follows you.

So far we have BFF and the bodyguard knowing he's the Arrow. Sis is going to get clued in too? Not much of a secret identity.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 10-18-2012 at 11:52 PM.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

So far we have BFF and the bodyguard knowing he's the Arrow. Sis is going to get clued in too? Not much of a secret identity.
I don't think that they know that he's Green Arrow.
They just know that something's up with Oliver.

BTW, if they follow comics canon, Tommy
Spoiler:
is destined to become one of his chief enemies.

However, Dinah should be picking up on disconnect on the Oliver she had ice cream with in her apartment and the one she saw at the dedication ceremony.

I'm still liking the show and I think they are laying down more of the story arcs here.

We don't know how much the Triad is connected to Robert Queen's list and the Starling City crime scene but I doubt that this is a one off appearance for Kelly Hu.

BTW, I missed the fact that the bodyguard's name is DIggle but I did pick up on Nocenti being thrown around a lot.

Oh and why "Starling City" and not "Star City"?
Or Seattle?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
BTW, I missed the fact that the bodyguard's name is DIggle but I did pick up on Nocenti being thrown around a lot.
Yes, they do like naming characters after Green Arrow comic book writers...
Quote:
Oh and why "Starling City" and not "Star City"?
Or Seattle?
In an interview, they said "Star City" is too comic booky.

I'm not entirely sure how much of an improvement "Starling City" is...seems like a too-cute attempt at having their cake and eating it too.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
BLACK eye makeup, and he had it.
Didn't notice it this episode. Have to look harder next time.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Peter000

Quote:
why "Starling City" and not "Star City"?
Or Seattle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
In an interview, they said "Star City" is too comic booky.

I'm not entirely sure how much of an improvement "Starling City" is...seems like a too-cute attempt at having their cake and eating it too.
Starling City is just dumb. The only reason they think "Star City" is too comic booky is that it was USED IN THE COMIC, and it has that association. I'd wager that 75% or better of the viewing audience has never read a Green Arrow comic book and wouldn't think twice about the name.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

I was never a comic book guy but one thing I really liked about Marvel comics was that they were set in a real city like New York. DC cities like Star City, Gotham City and Metropolis are corny. I would have Arrow to be set in a "real" US big city.

I like Arrow so far but his "You failed this city!" line is corn ball. I hope he doesn't say that every episode. And dude, either shave or grow a beard. The Don Johnson look that every other male model seems to have is stupid.

Looks like Green Arrow isn't one of those super heroes that just wounds all of his foes. He kills first and asks questions later.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Looks like Green Arrow isn't one of those super heroes that just wounds all of his foes. He kills first and asks questions later.
Actually in the pilot episode the two guys near the car he shot in the chest with arrows were said to have been "put in the hospital" despite dropping in one shot and appearing to be dead, so other than the guy who fell off the crane, all the other guys could be alive. Off course immediately dropping a guy with an arrow to the chest without killing him makes no sense. If you shoot to miss vital organs, it's not going to incapacitate the target. I suppose he could be using tranquilizer arrows or something.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
billypritchard
Embiggener

It seems he is excellent at hitting moving bad guys in places that don't kill them but knock them down and out. Quite talented.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

Didn't he shoot a henchman in the chest in this episode?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Didn't he shoot a henchman in the chest in this episode?
I think he shot about 5 people in the chest. But not the heart or lungs. Duh.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yeah, for a show that wants to avoid being comic-booky by changing Star City to Starling City, they sure do have a comic-booky attitude towards violence...
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Yeah, for a show that wants to avoid being comic-booky by changing Star City to Starling City, they sure do have a comic-booky attitude towards violence...
I was thinking he killed all those people by the way they went down. We certainly haven't been shown any trick arrows other than the hacker arrow and recording arrow that would indicate he isn't killing them. We also haven't heard any dialog about his accuracy being so good he can put someone down without delivering a killing blow.

Now if we go back to Smallville, I believe there was an episode where they focused on Green Arrow and how he was taught by someone where to put an arrow through the shoulder that would be non lethal. We saw something similar in the flashback to the island where Oliver is shot. Apparently it was a non lethal strike that was easily recovered from. I haven't read the comics in great quantity, so I don't know if that skill is part of the mythology of Green Arrow or not.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
I was thinking he killed all those people by the way they went down. We certainly haven't been shown any trick arrows other than the hacker arrow and recording arrow that would indicate he isn't killing them. We also haven't heard any dialog about his accuracy being so good he can put someone down without delivering a killing blow.
But there has been dialog about him injuring, not killing, people.

I agree, it flies in the face of what they've shown to the point of stupidity. But apparently that's their story and they're sticking to it.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #17
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
But there has been dialog about him injuring, not killing, people.

I agree, it flies in the face of what they've shown to the point of stupidity. But apparently that's their story and they're sticking to it.
Didn't the detective guy say that Green Arrow has killed people when he was arguing at his daughter?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Didn't the detective guy say that Green Arrow has killed people when he was arguing at his daughter?
Well, from what they've shown he's already one of the most prolific serial killers in American history...but I guess most of the people he's killed have gotten better, and the few that are left are acceptable losses, which is why one of the biggest man-hunts ever hasn't been launched.

They seem to be trying to have it both ways. Obviously, that's not going to work as a long-term strategy. I'm not sure if the writers just haven't cued in yet to the difference between comic book violence and live-action violence (they're all comic book writers, although they're all TV writers as well, so you'd think they'd know what they're doing, but I can see getting caught up in one's enthusiasm while transferring something from one favorite medium to another), or if there's been a disconnect between the writing and the directing, or what. But obviously he's either going to have to stop being so brutal, or start having major consequences for his brutality.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I didn't like this second episode as much as the first. Wonder if I'll still be watching the show in a couple months.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Well, from what they've shown he's already one of the most prolific serial killers in American history...but I guess most of the people he's killed have gotten better, and the few that are left are acceptable losses, which is why one of the biggest man-hunts ever hasn't been launched.

They seem to be trying to have it both ways. Obviously, that's not going to work as a long-term strategy. I'm not sure if the writers just haven't cued in yet to the difference between comic book violence and live-action violence (they're all comic book writers, although they're all TV writers as well, so you'd think they'd know what they're doing, but I can see getting caught up in one's enthusiasm while transferring something from one favorite medium to another), or if there's been a disconnect between the writing and the directing, or what. But obviously he's either going to have to stop being so brutal, or start having major consequences for his brutality.
Starling City's medical examiner had better ask for a raise if Green Arrow keeps shooting people at this rate.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Starling City's medical examiner had better ask for a raise if Green Arrow keeps shooting people at this rate.
Time for the city council to agree to the ME's request to buy an arrow remover.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
It seems he is excellent at hitting moving bad guys in places that don't kill them but knock them down and out. Quite talented.
Come on!

You try to fight an incredibly fit and well trained archer with an arrow sticking out of your chest!

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung : 10-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
mrmike
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Off course immediately dropping a guy with an arrow to the chest without killing him makes no sense. If you shoot to miss vital organs, it's not going to incapacitate the target.
Hydrostatic Shock perhaps?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #24
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Now if we go back to Smallville, I believe there was an episode where they focused on Green Arrow and how he was taught by someone where to put an arrow through the shoulder that would be non lethal. We saw something similar in the flashback to the island where Oliver is shot. Apparently it was a non lethal strike that was easily recovered from. I haven't read the comics in great quantity, so I don't know if that skill is part of the mythology of Green Arrow or not.
Coming back to this, I remember an interview with Mike Grell when he was plugging the new Green Arrow comic book series that started up after Longbow Hunters.

Grell had taken Arrow "back to basics" by ditching most of the trick arrows ("No boxing glove arrow").
His argument was that Arrow was a good enough shot to do non lethal shots with standard arrows.
Grell was trying to go with more realism in the series, something he was fairly sucessfull with in Jon Sable: Freelance

Of course, DC has also played fast and loose historically with whether or not Green Arrow would actually kill someone with his arrows or not.

During the "Hard Traveling Heroes" days, Bob Haney penned a Brave and the Bold story (drawn by Neal Adams, BTW) where Ollie had no problem fatally shooting a drug dealer while a few months later, Denny O'Neil wrote an Adams drawn story where Green Arrow accidentally killed a sniper that had been trying to kill him and the guilt consumed him to the point where he quit being Green Arrow.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Come on!

You try to fight an incredibly fit and well trained archer with an arrow sticking out of your chest!

I used to be a henchman, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I used to be a henchman, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
Did you get health insurance in that job?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Did you get health insurance in that job?
He did....but they had to let quite a few people go...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Quote:
I was never a comic book guy but one thing I really liked about Marvel comics was that they were set in a real city like New York. DC cities like Star City, Gotham City and Metropolis are corny. I would have Arrow to be set in a "real" US big city.

I like Arrow so far but his "You failed this city!" line is corn ball. I hope he doesn't say that every episode. And dude, either shave or grow a beard. The Don Johnson look that every other male model seems to have is stupid.

When they did the Avengers/Justice League series, the DC heroes remarked that the Marvel world was smaller. They said something like "New York, Chicago, and Washington DC are here, but they're missing cities like Metropolis and Gotham City."