TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
waynecj

Season Pass Fine Tuning: Wife's Shows Edition

Just got my Premier Tivo to go with my new Comcast service (suck it, WOW) and having a great time playing with both. A lot of improved and new functions from the Series 3 HD that I appreciate, but I'm already entering the "is there any way to...?" phase. For example:

My wife loves to watch reruns of her shows: Bones, NCIS, Castle, etc. Those 3 shows alone could fill up a Tivo with all the marathons on cable channels. So I limit the number of shows to keep on the Season Passes. Usually 10-25 shows each. Trouble is, you can get that many NCIS showings in less than a week! I know what you're saying: oh, McGee, Tivo deletes the oldest ones to make room for the new showings. Sorry, Boss, that's not good enough.

Once my wife sees that an episode is recorded, she wants to keep it until she watches it. She doesn't want it deleted before she can watch it just so another episode can get recorded. Plus I don't want Tivo recording every episode that comes up in the schedule. Tivo doesn't need to be working that hard all the time. There's 25 NCIS episodes in there now, so stop already!

I know from experience that Keep Until I Delete is a trouble-filled path, so I don't want to go that way. I've switched some of the SPs to temporarily record "new" episodes only, but even that isn't foolproof since, sometimes for some reason, the channel guide will indicate episodes that are years old as new. I know I can delete a SP after the limit of shows is reached, and then start a new one later. That's a mini-hassle but it's what I'm doing. But is there a way to suspend a SP temporarily without having to delete/re-enter it? Or are there other user hints that might help? I can't be the only one whose Tivo is flooded with Tony and Siva! Any suggestions?

Bob
waynecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
CatScratchFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynecj View Post
Just got my Premier Tivo to go with my new Comcast service (suck it, WOW) and having a great time playing with both. A lot of improved and new functions from the Series 3 HD that I appreciate, but I'm already entering the "is there any way to...?" phase. For example:

My wife loves to watch reruns of her shows: Bones, NCIS, Castle, etc. Those 3 shows alone could fill up a Tivo with all the marathons on cable channels. So I limit the number of shows to keep on the Season Passes. Usually 10-25 shows each. Trouble is, you can get that many NCIS showings in less than a week! I know what you're saying: oh, McGee, Tivo deletes the oldest ones to make room for the new showings. Sorry, Boss, that's not good enough.

Once my wife sees that an episode is recorded, she wants to keep it until she watches it. She doesn't want it deleted before she can watch it just so another episode can get recorded. Plus I don't want Tivo recording every episode that comes up in the schedule. Tivo doesn't need to be working that hard all the time. There's 25 NCIS episodes in there now, so stop already!

I know from experience that Keep Until I Delete is a trouble-filled path, so I don't want to go that way. I've switched some of the SPs to temporarily record "new" episodes only, but even that isn't foolproof since, sometimes for some reason, the channel guide will indicate episodes that are years old as new. I know I can delete a SP after the limit of shows is reached, and then start a new one later. That's a mini-hassle but it's what I'm doing. But is there a way to suspend a SP temporarily without having to delete/re-enter it? Or are there other user hints that might help? I can't be the only one whose Tivo is flooded with Tony and Siva! Any suggestions?

Bob
have you upgraded the hard drive to 2 TB? if not then do so.

I did a second Tivo Premiere yesterday and it was a 2.5 hour process and it worked. Very easy to do. $95 for the drive, freely available software to get it done.
CatScratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

What you are asking for is *exactly* what KUID combined with a max # of episodes does. Used sparingly, you should be fine. Used with a new, 2TB drive and I would not expect you to have any problems.

The hard drive is always full and reading/writing, so there is not any extra wear and tear to be concerned about.

The NEW flag is uneven to me, no idea how it works. NEW from a SP perspective is anything over a certain age (28 days or similar, whichever).
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
mattack

Short version of my rant: If you're watching reruns of shows, you're not watching the 'whole' show. There are at least *minutes* cut out of each episode for more commercials.

So I'd suggest just making New Episodes only SPs on the broadcast stations, and fill up the Tivo with new content!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

This classic thread might be useful:

Wife won't delete recordings

Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post

The hard drive is always full and reading/writing,
not always.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
not always.
It will be if it is on and the tuners aren't set to channels you don't
get.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It will be if it is on and the tuners aren't set to channels you don't
get.
Explain how this keeps a hard drive full.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Explain how this keeps a hard drive full.
It doesn't. But there were two parts to the original statement and you didn't limit your disagreement to the "always full" part. It is always recording. And the OP said that the TiVo didn't need to be "working that hard all of the time" by recording every episode.

As far as the OP's situation is concerned, KUID is exactly what is needed. There is absolutely no problem with using KUID as long as you reaserve it for things that you, well, want to KEEP UNTIL YOU DELETE.. If you have an SP with both KUID and a limit, it will stop recording episodes of that series when that limit is reached.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It doesn't. But there were two parts to the original statement and you didn't limit your disagreement to the "always full" part.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
yourself.