TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
criptck

power surge

can you get a power surge through a tivo box.recently the cable in our area was down.when this happened my television jammed there was a flashing screen with starting up on it even when the box was disconnected.my tv wont switch channels.the only thing you can do is power it on and off.could the virgin media crashing in my area have something to with this
criptck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Heavy power surges (e.g., from lightning) can travel in strange paths throughout your structure wiring. This can be worse if your electrical system isn't well grounded. If you're using an HDMI connection, the handshaking signals can lock up one device based on a signal from the device at the other end.

BTW the long-standing convention of starting sentences with a capital letter and putting two spaces between sentences is a very helpful one that makes reading easier. I hope it doesn't die as a result of laziness or a mistaken belief that it's always cool to be unconventional.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
bshrock

Welcome to the TiVo Community.

Power surges can come through any wire connected to the device. I recommend using a quality UPS to power the DVR and TV.

Suggest you check the remote my TV remote has buttons to select different devices TV, DVD, VCR. If I one of the other devices gets selected the TV won't respond to many of the buttons and won't change channels Volume and Power still work.

If it is not the remote unplug power from the TV for 30 or more seconds.

Which model of TiVo do you have?
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
BTW the long-standing convention of starting sentences with a capital letter and putting two spaces between sentences is a very helpful one that makes reading easier. I hope it doesn't die as a result of laziness or a mistaken belief that it's always cool to be unconventional.
Hey maybe the OP's secretary is a cockroach. That would explain the all lower case. As far as the spacing is concerned - you do realize that the TCF s/w changes multiple spaces to a single space when posting unless it is between CODE tags, don't you?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Hey maybe the OP's secretary is a cockroach. That would explain the all lower case. As far as the spacing is concerned - you do realize that the TCF s/w changes multiple spaces to a single space when posting unless it is between CODE tags, don't you?
Wish I had a secretary to write my posts for me

I think there will be more posts without capitalization and probably with abbreviated text as more posts are "Tweeted" using smart phones.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

At least if posts are tweets, the size limit will tend to reduce undue verbosity.

Abbrev. are fine as long as they aren't obscure.

Using a phone doesn't justify poor punctuation. Even my "dumb" phone can do caps, spaces, periods, etc. in messages.

I don't mind some variation from tradition in posts or tweets. Just do something to help the eye notice intended structure, e.g., separation of sentences.

BTW, what's a "secretary"? I thought that was a piece of furniture.

and
Old 02-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
He mentions Virgin Media in his post so I assume he must be from the UK. If that is the case I think you have a lot of nerve trying to tell the OP how to write English! It's really his language. He can mangle it if he wants to.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
He mentions Virgin Media in his post so I assume he must be from the UK. If that is the case I think you have a lot of nerve trying to tell the OP how to write English! It's really his language. He can mangle it if he wants to.
Quite right, old chap! Have you noticed the number of talking heads and commercial narrators who have that sophisticated high English tone? Apparently it's deemed attractive to Americans, lending credence to what they say. Seems inconsistent with mangled tweets. I wonder if they mangle their tweets too?

and
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
BTW the long-standing convention of starting sentences with a capital letter and putting two spaces between sentences is a very helpful one that makes reading easier.
Putting two spaces in between sentences is INCORRECT unless you are using an actual typewriter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing
http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&...ween+sentences
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Putting two spaces in between sentences is INCORRECT unless you are using an actual typewriter.

http://www.google.com/search?rls=endq=two+spaces+between+sentences
The Wiki article indicates it is still up in the air and mostly a matter of personal preference. As far as the TCF is concerned, unless there is some setting of which I am unaware, it is a moot point. Multiple spaces in a post are replaced by a single space. In addition, all spaces at the beginning and end of lines are removed, so you cannot even indent paragraphs.

I hope everyone understood my reference to a cockroach vis-a-vis the use of all lower case.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&...ween+sentences
Interesting, thanks. My conventions were formed in the days of typewriters (and secretaries). I note I still have a lot of company.
Quote:
BTW the long-standing convention of starting sentences with a capital letter and putting two spaces between sentences is a very helpful one that makes reading easier..........
After taking another look at the first post to see what actually bothered me about the style -- and in view of Arcady's point that the "CORRECT" form is now only one space between sentences -- I'm modifying my comment on the first post, quoted just above, as follows:

The following long-standing conventions are highly desirable for clarity:
  • At least one space between sentences.
  • Start sentences with a capitalized word.
  • End questions with a question mark.
  • End sentences with a period. (Applies only to last sentence of post.)

and
Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The Wiki article indicates it is still up in the air and mostly a matter of personal preference. As far as the TCF is concerned, unless there is some setting of which I am unaware, it is a moot point. Multiple spaces in a post are replaced by a single space. In addition, all spaces at the beginning and end of lines are removed, so you cannot even indent paragraphs.

I hope everyone understood my reference to a cockroach vis-a-vis the use of all lower case.
But the first post had NO space(s) between words.

Regarding paragraph indents, I think most of us just put a blank line between paragraphs. This is fine with me. Good clarity and only costs the forum servers one end-of-line character (or character pair).

I'll bite: I didn't get the cockroach reference.

and
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'll bite: I didn't get the cockroach reference.
For your elucidation.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
That's a nice piece of literary history. Of course I know what would happen if a cockroach tried to befriend one of our cats. Either cockroaches were much heavier then or typewriter keys much easier to depress. I assume even Archy could do periods and spaces at the end of sentences (since they don't require two keys) but question marks were probably out of the question for him.

and
Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
f4phantomii

Quote:
If you're using an HDMI connection, the handshaking signals can lock up one device based on a signal from the device at the other end.
Can you elaborate on this? I've just had my fourth TiVo Premiere fail in *exactly* the same manner as the previous three, all in less than 2 years.

The failure is that it no longer sends a video signal via HDMI or over component outputs. I've tried different cables, different HDMI ports, and different TVs.

Other devices connected to the same TV(s) continue to work via HDMI on any of the ports on the TV.

Other than the video output problem, the unit functions. It continues to record, and is accessible via my network and can transfer shows.

Just no video signal. Period.

There is no way I'll replace it again. Our main TiVo is an 5 yr old TiVo HD that continues to function just fine.

But I now have a stack of four otherwise perfectly good TiVo Premieres that won't output a video signal. They all work for a couple of months and then stop.

I cannot see a common cause. If it were the TV, I'd expect the other devices to have similar problems, but they don't. If it matters, the TV is a Samsung 56" Plasma...about 3-4 yrs old.

Any help?
f4phantomii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
In addition, all spaces at the beginning and end of lines are removed, so you cannot even indent paragraphs.
I beg to differ.
You just have to know what you are doing.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I beg to differ.
You just have to know what you are doing.
Thanks
for
showing
me
how.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Heavy power surges (e.g., from lightning) can travel in strange paths throughout your structure wiring. This can be worse if your electrical system isn't well grounded. If you're using an HDMI connection, the handshaking signals can lock up one device based on a signal from the device at the other end. ...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4phantomii View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I've just had my fourth TiVo Premiere fail in *exactly* the same manner as the previous three, all in less than 2 years.

The failure is that it no longer sends a video signal via HDMI or over component outputs. I've tried different cables, different HDMI ports, and different TVs.

Other devices connected to the same TV(s) continue to work via HDMI on any of the ports on the TV.

Other than the video output problem, the unit functions. It continues to record, and is accessible via my network and can transfer shows.

Just no video signal. Period.

There is no way I'll replace it again. Our main TiVo is an 5 yr old TiVo HD that continues to function just fine.

But I now have a stack of four otherwise perfectly good TiVo Premieres that won't output a video signal. They all work for a couple of months and then stop.

I cannot see a common cause. If it were the TV, I'd expect the other devices to have similar problems, but they don't. If it matters, the TV is a Samsung 56" Plasma...about 3-4 yrs old.

Any help?
When an HDMI lockup occurs the only thing I know to do is power cycle at least one of the connected devices (which is a pain for TiVo's of course). I have a TiVo HD and I've been running it with a component (RCA cable) video/audio connection for years. When running on HDMI it would lock up, sometimes several times during one day. I did the HDMI-to-component switch 3 years ago. I can't rule out that Tivo software updates since then might have fixed the problem but it's not worth the bother to find out. Like you, I have several other devices connected with HDMI to my TV and nary a hint of a problem with them

and
Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Thanks for going back to the topic "power surge". If you want to discuss writing etiquette, please find an appropriate forum. We here are interested in solving TiVo questions and problems.

Thank you!
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Thanks for going back to the topic "power surge". If you want to discuss writing etiquette, please find an appropriate forum. We here are interested in solving TiVo questions and problems.

Thank you!
Thanks for doing your job as the official TCF thread cop. I for one would be thrilled to read the official announcement of your appointment to that august position.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #21
Arcady
Stargate Fan

mAYBE_i~LL_jUST_mAKE_up_nEW_wAYS_tO_cOMMUNICATE*

Or maybe we can stick to the language we have already agreed on.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Actually this is easier for me to read than the first post!
Quote:

Thank you!
Hey lighten up! You're never going to reach a post count in the thousands if you're that strict on topics. And kudos on the excellent style of your post!

One lesson I've learned about forums is that if a post you don't like isn't bad enough to justify reporting to the admins, complaining about it in another post probably will not accomplish much.

and
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:

Or even the language upon which we have already agreed.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Or even the language upon which we have already agreed.
Correct but too minor (compared to the style deficiencies of the first post) to be worth concern, at least in the relatively informal vehicle of a forum. The impact on clarity is practically nil IMHO.

Also, apparently this agreement (on American English) is only implicit. I don't remember agreeing to it either within the forum or in my life. I even checked the forum rules. Actually I would prefer that the rules explicitly state that English is the official forum language, but I couldn't find that.

I note there has been no response from the OP. Was he/she a hit/run poster? Or did we solve their problem? Or are they miffed by our critique of their posting style?

and
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
unitron

Quote:
Correct but too minor (compared to the style deficiencies of the first post) to be worth concern, at least in the relatively informal vehicle of a forum. The impact on clarity is practically nil IMHO.

Also, apparently this agreement (on American English) is only implicit. I don't remember agreeing to it either within the forum or in my life. I even checked the forum rules. Actually I would prefer that the rules explicitly state that English is the official forum language, but I couldn't find that.

I note there has been no response from the OP. Was he/she a hit/run poster? Or did we solve their problem? Or are they miffed by our critique of their posting style?
You agreed in utero.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #26
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Hey lighten up! You're never going to reach a post count in the thousands if you're that strict on topics. And kudos on the excellent style of your post!
I'm not interested in reaching a certain post count. I post to give relevant answers or to ask questions.

Please, let's stick to the subject!

Thank you!
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #27
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm not interested in reaching a certain post count. I post to give relevant answers or to ask questions.

Thank you!
I'm still waiting for a link to the official announcement of your appointment to your position.

Also, while a large post count may not indicate anything, the fact that you have made less than 50 posts in 5 years mitigates against the reality of your expressed desire to help people.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Since the OP has never come back to respond, shouldn't we just let this thread sit until such time as that happens?
Two TiVo Minis

Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #29
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Thank you!
Admirable policy although I don't see a post where you've implemented it in this thread. (What have I missed?)

And a little levity mixed in doesn't hurt. The OP was given serious on-topic responses and hasn't even responded. I don't feel guilty about getting off topic in this case.

and
Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #30
westom

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4phantomii View Post
Understand why damage happens. A destructive current always has one path into the appliance. And a different outgoing path to earth. Often the outgoing path suffers damage. HDMI is a common outgoing path. A destructive current incoming on AC mains. Outgoing on HDMI. Ethernet and other ports are unharmed when a better outgoing path is HDMI.

That current will find a destructive path to earth via appliances if permitted inside the building. Therefore any facility that cannot have damage always earths that current before it can enter.

Many discuss what they understand - grammar. OP's question is about protecting appliances. Most have never learned this stuff. A best solution costs less; about $1 per appliance. Must be located where utility wires enter. As was done even 100 years ago in facilities that could not have damage.

If that current does not enter a building, then it does not find an outgoing path to earth destructively via a Tivo or HDMI cables.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote