TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #1321
The Merg
1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by naich View Post
Order has been placed.... looks like it saved roughly $500. That's awesome.

It should've saved more than that. I saved about $500 and I had the same order except I only ordered 1 Mini.

Glad it worked out though.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #1322
naich

It might have been more than that.. it probably was lol.
naich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #1323
naich

Total without tax would have been $1699.92 without the code. With the code it was $1119.97. So that is a savings of 579.95.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #1324
elborak

Quote:
So that is a savings of 579.95.
Minus the cost of the code.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #1325
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

What a deal! <sarcasm>

All I own is Roamios. One has been down for two weeks while I thanklessly do some hard drive research. TiVo sends me the following in an email:

http://messaging.tivo.com/Portal/con...=8239&b=264689

They take notice that one Roamio hasn't called-home in two weeks, and suggest I need to upgrade...to a Roamio...

Why can't they notice what's going on when they are calling home, and do something about things happening when able to call home?

Sheesh!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #1326
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
All I own is Roamios. One has been down for two weeks while I thanklessly do some hard drive research. TiVo sends me the following in an email:

http://messaging.tivo.com/Portal/con...=8239&b=264689

They take notice that one Roamio hasn't called-home in two weeks, and suggest I need to upgrade...to a Roamio...

Why can't they notice what's going on when they are calling home, and do something about things happening when able to call home?

Sheesh!
WOW if TiVo starts doing that with all the TiVos that are now out of service we are all going to get a ton of E-Mails.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #1327
elborak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
if TiVo starts doing that with all the TiVos that are now out of service we are all going to get a ton of E-Mails.
Hopefully their script is a bit more intelligent than that. If it were me, I'd target owners of TiVos which hadn't connected in the past few weeks, but had connected sometime in the past 6 months or so (i.e. recently retired) to skip the ones long since landfilled.

But given that it isn't intelligent enough not to ask a Roamio owner if he wants to upgrade it to a Roamio, who knows?
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #1328
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by elborak View Post
Hopefully their script is a bit more intelligent than that. If it were me, I'd target owners of TiVos which hadn't connected in the past few weeks, but had connected sometime in the past 6 months or so (i.e. recently retired) to skip the ones long since landfilled.

But given that it isn't intelligent enough not to ask a Roamio owner if he wants to upgrade it to a Roamio, who knows?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #1329
squint

Well, I got my Roamio order today. It consisted of a Roamio Plus, Roamio Pro, Mini, and Slide Remote. I ordered it right before the summer sale so I used one of my eBay codes, the first and most expensive one I purchased for $49 back in May.

I had the order shipped to a friend in OR, saving $128 in sales tax, but paying $10 to re-ship the stuff.

The 4 tb drive I ordered for the Roamio Plus was DOA. It was a Hitachi 7K4000 OEM drive, supposedly new but didn't look so new. I went ahead and setup the Roamio Plus despite its 1 tb drive. The TiVos were properly activated before arrival. Moving the CableCard from my Series 3 HD went without a hitch.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #1330
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Well, I got my Roamio order today. It consisted of a Roamio Plus, Roamio Pro, Mini, and Slide Remote. I ordered it right before the summer sale so I used one of my eBay codes, the first and most expensive one I purchased for $49 back in May.

I had the order shipped to a friend in OR, saving $128 in sales tax, but paying $10 to re-ship the stuff.

The 4 tb drive I ordered for the Roamio Plus was DOA. It was a Hitachi 7K4000 OEM drive, supposedly new but didn't look so new. I went ahead and setup the Roamio Plus despite its 1 tb drive. The TiVos were properly activated before arrival. Moving the CableCard from my Series 3 HD went without a hitch.
Just a curiosity... what is the reasoning for both the Pro and Plus....(obviously I don't know you or your setup).
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #1331
squint

The codes limit you to one each of the 3 Roamio models, 4 Minis, and one slide remote (though that may have changed). The Roamio Pro is going to my sister (different household) since I'm more experienced at upgrading TiVo HDDs and we weren't interested in a Roamio Basic.

The Roamio Plus will be in my living room and the Mini will go in the workout room.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #1332
naich

My order arrived today as well. I bought it for when I move to a new house, but I'm very tempted to hook it up now. It will be hard to wait for 2 weeks to try this gear out!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #1333
jwbelcher

Quote:
My order arrived today as well. I bought it for when I move to a new house, but I'm very tempted to hook it up now. It will be hard to wait for 2 weeks to try this gear out!
I'd open it up to check it out... waiting 2 weeks cuts in to the 30 day if there are any issues.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #1334
naich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I'd open it up to check it out... waiting 2 weeks cuts in to the 30 day if there are any issues.
Good point.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #1335
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Wouldn't it be 30 days from activation?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #1336
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Yes, I don't know how much you can check out before activation, at one time you got a week to try some things out on your new TiVo, I don't know if that is still true with the Roamio series 5.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #1337
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes, I don't know how much you can check out before activation, at one time you got a week to try some things out on your new TiVo, I don't know if that is still true with the Roamio series 5.
Are products ordered directly from TiVo no longer activated when they ship?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #1338
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Are products ordered directly from TiVo no longer activated when they ship?
Yes, your 30 days starts shortly after it ships, normally that same day. So your 30 days starts ticking before you even receive it. I see this right now in my Active Device for the TiVo I purchased during the summer sale. Its listed as active, but arrives tomorrow via UPS.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #1339
naich

wow it doesn't seem fair to start the 30 day clock from when it ships. Either way, I can't speed up my FiOS order because I'm not in the new house yet. So I'll have to wait. If it breaks like 14 days after I plug it in the first time, I will be pretty upset if TiVO won't cover a replacement.
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #1340
flar

How long does shipping usually take (San Francisco area)? In the middle of a complete overhaul of the A/V room and so don't want to order it if it will sit around for a few days. Or maybe I should order something now so it will be here in time for finishing all the wood work?
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #1341
squint

Mine shipped out of Fort Worth, TX on Mon and arrived in Portland, OR on Fri. It might be one day less to get to you.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #1342
flar

Quote:
Mine shipped out of Fort Worth, TX on Mon and arrived in Portland, OR on Fri. It might be one day less to get to you.
Thanks! How many days was that from order to receipt?
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #1343
squint

I ordered early Mon morning so I made the cutoff for same-day shipping and delivery was Friday so that would be 4 business days.
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #1344
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
How long does shipping usually take (San Francisco area)? In the middle of a complete overhaul of the A/V room and so don't want to order it if it will sit around for a few days. Or maybe I should order something now so it will be here in time for finishing all the wood work?
4 days, from TX to CA. Most places ship out 1-3 days after orders were placed, some wait until the credit card clears. Next, after the shipping company (UPS, Fedex) picks it up, various scans/sortings, it waits until the next scheduled truck. If there is a transfer to local USPS, adds an extra day.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : Yesterday at 06:55 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM   #1345
rcb3

Quote:
I ordered early Mon morning so I made the cutoff for same-day shipping and delivery was Friday so that would be 4 business days.
squint encase you didn't get the pm it's 25
rcb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #1346
naich

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I ordered on a Wednesday and had the tivo's by Monday in NJ.