TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Grey's Anatomy: "The End is the Beginning is the End" (OAD: 1/17/13) SPOILERS!

This thread is inspired by tonight's (1/17/13) episode of Grey's Anatomy, so I'm going to pose some questions and I'm not going to conceal them in spoiler tags.

IF YOU DON'T WANT GREY'S ANATOMY SPOILERS, DO NOT READ!

OK, here goes:

Five doctors sue the hospital and win a $75 million settlement. The insurance company finds a loophole and doesn't have to cover the loss. The hospital has to pay but doesn't have the money. So it decides to declare bankruptcy and close its doors.

Is this something that happens in the real world?

Is this something covered by federal law or state law?

Which Chapter covers a for-profit hospital's bankruptcy?

Where does the winner of the lawsuit stand among the creditors? At the top? At the bottom? Can the bankruptcy court reduce the winning plaintiff's settlement to pennies on the dollar?

Last edited by Graymalkin : 01-18-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

In the real world the hospital would sue the insurance company and it would be tied up in the courts for years.

The hospital in Grey's Anatomy has never been described as a non profit before, if anything it has been presented as a top tier private hospital.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Where does the winner of the lawsuit stand among the creditors? At the top? At the bottom? Can the bankruptcy court reduce the winning plaintiff's settlement to pennies on the dollar?
I think this addresses where the series will go with this. Bankruptcy is filed, debts are liquidated by the court in some fashion that reduces greatly the amounts the doctors get, and then the hospital can reopen as a new corporate entity, one no longer burdened by the payout decision.

Just guessing.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
In the real world the hospital would sue the insurance company and it would be tied up in the courts for years.

The hospital in Grey's Anatomy has never been described as a non profit before, if anything it has been presented as a top tier private hospital.
Good point. I will amend the OP to say "for-profit" rather than "nonprofit".
Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
shaown

Its not hard to guess the easy "TV" solution - the Doctors will take over the hospital - be paid in equity ownership.
3 S2DT, 1 Phillips S1, 1 HR10-250 HDTivo, 1 S1 DTivo, 3 S2 DTivos, 1 THD 1Tb
shaown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaStevan View Post
Grey’s Anatomy S09E11 – The End is the Beginning is the End watched a day ago here - w.atch.me/WOCAqe

Plain crashed incident in the episode make upset to Meredith, Derek, Cristina and Arizona and Richard avoids Catherine’s romantic advances . Jackson also drop the plan to meet Mark Sloane’s old patients..
WTF was that?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
lew

In the real world the insurance "loophole" would have been discovered earlier. Hospital would have fought it. In the real world a judge would not have issued summary judgement. The charter airline was properly licensed. It is not at all clear why the hospital had to do additional research. The hospital might have lost that at trial but summary judgement? I don't think in the real world they would have all received the same settlement.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Lori
Social Defective

Also, no settlement for Mark or Lexie? I'd expect that to go either in trust or to next-of-kin, but no mention of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

This is Shondaland, people. You expect reality?

And Grey's Anatomy is the oldest of the three shows currently running. Okay, Private Practice has been cancelled, so it doesn't count. But it wouldn't surprise me if Shonda's off paying more attention to Scandal than anything else.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I'm NOT expecting reality from Shondaland. Which is why I was asking what WOULD happen in the real world.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
dthmj
Hinky

Oh wow... the last few minutes cut off my recording and I had no idea... I guess ignorance really is bliss

I loaded up Hulu Plus and watched the last couple of minutes.

I'm guessing since the actors have contracts through 2014 there will be another season - so maybe those doctors will take over ownership of the hospital and keep it open.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
zalusky

My guess is the doctors get ownership in the hospital rather than a cash payout to keep it running!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD