Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #61
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
It's like saying a serial burglar has stealing so ingrained in them that every one in his town must be burglars. Lumping a whole town together in a negative way by the actions of one is the definition of prejudice. If you don't get that that's pretty sad.
You're right. She's probably the only racist person in her family and/or city.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #62
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Nope, I wouldn't, obviously. I'll spoilerize, although I think it's pretty public info now:

Spoiler:
As I said, that's part of my pet peeve with CBS on the racist stuff. If you're gonna cover it, make sure everyone's true colors are shown. One offhand remark, fine, but it seems others have said quite a bit. I get why CBS might think it's too much, but, is it fair to paint one person in one light and some, almost as bad in another? If you didn't know anything other than what you see on CBS, you'd think Spencer is this easy going Southern guy and you'd like him.
I can't be lieve I am about to type this, but...

In CBS's defense

Aaryn's comments and actions have had a direct impact on how the rest of the house sees her. It is what she has become known for in the house and a story can be built around. The majority of what Spencer says is not remarked on at all in the house. the outrage over Spencer's comments have come from the live feeders. I have mentioned this in the spoiler thread but will mention it here. Spencer's comments are often made in the company of the people who would be impacted by the comments.

Andy was present for the Kermit the fag comment. Women are present when he drops the C word. No one in the house has said anything to Spencer because the house either figures that's just Spencer and don't care, or they figure that is Spencer, he's a disgusting pig but its not worth my time to call him out. Either way, nobody in the house seems bothered by Spencer.

So why air it on TV?
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #63
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
I can't be lieve I am about to type this, but...

In CBS's defense

Aaryn's comments and actions have had a direct impact on how the rest of the house sees her. It is what she has become known for in the house and a story can be built around. The majority of what Spencer says is not remarked on at all in the house. the outrage over Spencer's comments have come from the live feeders. I have mentioned this in the spoiler thread but will mention it here. Spencer's comments are often made in the company of the people who would be impacted by the comments.

Andy was present for the Kermit the fag comment. Women are present when he drops the C word. No one in the house has said anything to Spencer because the house either figures that's just Spencer and don't care, or they figure that is Spencer, he's a disgusting pig but its not worth my time to call him out. Either way, nobody in the house seems bothered by Spencer.

So why air it on TV?
Normally I'd agree with you...except this...there's a twist this season called the MVP, and since the MVP can be impacted by viewer perception of someone, the good and the bad of each house guest needs to come into play to make an informed decision. If I subscribed to the live feeds and heard those comments, I'd have a completely different perception of Spencer. It would influence my decision to vote or not to vote for him for MVP. But the vast majority of viewers don't have the live feed, so we base our perception of someone from what CBS shows us. To viewers on CBS, Spencer is a likable guy. It could have a BIG effect on the game.

If you're gonna call out one person, you need to at least acknowledge that others are saying hateful things as well. I'm find with them putting the spotlight on Aaryn, she deserves it, but others are not exactly civil rights warriors either.

No MVP, I'd be fine with just showing Aaryn.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #64
Shaunnick

Fair enough.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #65
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023 View Post
You're right. She's probably the only racist person in her family and/or city.
I guess you really don't get it, and don't try to change the argument to family. I specifically addressed you lumping her whole town in with her views.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #66
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

You've never heard of hyperbole? If you honestly think I meant every citizen in her town you're an idiot.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #67
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Ladies ladies...you're BOTH pretty, no need for ugly name calling.