TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
JLaamanen

TIVO loses memory when not updated?

Maybe this doesn't belong here and maybe it's just whining about something I should know, but looking for comments if you have any.

Due to playing with using "Phone as Hotspot", first with no, then later with some sucess, my phone hit its data limit. The phone has been unused as hotspot for a week or two now. The TIVO did NOT reconnect to my DSL connection. I remember earlier that it seemed to search out and find neighbors' unsecured w/l connections. I've reconnected now to my DSL but had to re-enter security code I received a message today saying my "guide" or whatever had run out due to the lack of updating. To my dismay I found that scheduled programs to be recorded were skipped. I didn't lose my season passes and I think my to do list was there for upcoming shows. (I think I looked before updating.)

This leads me to wonder....
Does it make sense to have to re-enter a security code for a prviously used connection?

Would it make sense to display warnings a little sooner?

Is there any good reason the TIVO shouldn't continue to record shows at the previous days and times even w/o a guide update?

Thanks for listening

John
JLaamanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaamanen View Post
Is there any good reason the TIVO shouldn't continue to record shows at the previous days and times even w/o a guide update?
Exactly how do you suggest it should do that? 'Keep a list of every program it has ever recorded?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Maybe this doesn't belong here and maybe it's just whining about something I should know, but looking for comments if you have any.

Due to playing with using "Phone as Hotspot", first with no, then later with some sucess, my phone hit its data limit. The phone has been unused as hotspot for a week or two now. The TIVO did NOT reconnect to my DSL connection. I remember earlier that it seemed to search out and find neighbors' unsecured w/l connections. I've reconnected now to my DSL but had to re-enter security code I received a message today saying my "guide" or whatever had run out due to the lack of updating. To my dismay I found that scheduled programs to be recorded were skipped. I didn't lose my season passes and I think my to do list was there for upcoming shows. (I think I looked before updating.)

This leads me to wonder....
Does it make sense to have to re-enter a security code for a prviously used connection?

Would it make sense to display warnings a little sooner?

Thanks for listening

John
The Tivo needs the guide data to know what to record and when to record it (recording conflicts, new time slot, etc.). Simply having it record the same time slots as last week isn't practical since there are often reruns, preemptions, as well as the season simply ending its season. The Tivo will display a warning at the bottom of the Tivo Central screen when there is only a weeks worth of data left. When it gets to only 3 days, there is a full screen message whenever you enter Tivo Central.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Simply having it record the same time slots as last week isn't practical since there are often reruns, preemptions, as well as the season simply ending its season.
It's not practical for a more fundamental reason than that. With what frequency were the programs last week recorded? What is the TiVo supposed to record next week when it has no schedule data? In order to attempt sucha thing, the TiVo would have to keep a history of its recording schedule and try to extrapolate from it. How many days should it keep in its history?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
The TIVO did NOT reconnect to my DSL connection. I remember earlier that it seemed to search out and find neighbors' unsecured w/l connections.
That has never been the case. TiVo's do not just connect to any network available and choose it's own setup options.

Quote:
I've reconnected now to my DSL but had to re-enter security code
That's how it has always been, you have to choose the network and go through the set up options.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Quote:

John
I think if you set them up as a manual recording then they will record even without guide data. But don't know for sure. I know with a TiVo without service and older enough software and a open account indicated on the service screen, the TiVo will record forever for a particular time(s) during the week, but the clock will drift so recording will be at the wrong time.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
JLaamanen

Thanks for replies. I guess the concensus is that's it's unreasonable to think the shows you've picked to record would happen at the same time as last week. I'm also glad my laptop and phone don't require re-entry for diferent networks but I haven't been carrying around my TIVO as much

Apparently I may have missed a warning that would have allowed me to avoid this. With luck I'll notice it next time if the situation happens again.

John
JLaamanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Thanks for replies. I guess the concensus is that's it's unreasonable to think the shows you've picked to record would happen at the same time as last week.
Because it's not always true. Take Golden Boy for example. It aired on Tuesday night as a 'special', then was to move to Friday where it aired a new episode that same week. Then it was decided it would stay on Tuesday. BTW, the slot it aired in on Tuesday was Vegas' normal spot which is now being moved to Friday. Stuff like this happens frequently. Heck, Happy Endings has aired on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and now Friday nights.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
lew

Quote:
Thanks for replies. I guess the concensus is that's it's unreasonable to think the shows you've picked to record would happen at the same time as last week. I'm also glad my laptop and phone don't require re-entry for diferent networks but I haven't been carrying around my TIVO as much

Apparently I may have missed a warning that would have allowed me to avoid this. With luck I'll notice it next time if the situation happens again.

John
People generally take their laptop and phone "on the road". It makes sense to retain settings for various networks.

People generally leave their tivo at one spot. In the event you change your network settings it's unlikely it will be changed to an old setting. Makes little or no sense to retain a history of different networks.

Tivo warns you when you're running out of guide data. The (unanimous?) consensus is it's unreasonable to whine when you ignored said messages.

Shows move to different times, sometimes a show is preempted, sometimes they air reruns and sometimes another show you have scheduled has a higher priority and will be recorded. The (unanimous?) consensus is tivo derives its functionality be recording shows as listed in the guide data and not by functioning as a digital VCR.

Last edited by lew : 03-12-2013 at 09:41 PM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Thanks for replies. I guess the concensus is that's it's unreasonable to think the shows you've picked to record would happen at the same time as last week.
Calling it unreasonable is another wrong conclusion. It's not unreasonable for you to think the shows you've picked to record would happen at the same time as last week but it is naive to think that a machine designed to record according to a published schedule would record anything at all w/o that schedule.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Ichinisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
People generally take their laptop and phone "on the road". It makes sense to retain settings for various networks.

People generally leave their tivo at one spot. In the event you change your network settings it's unlikely it will be changed to an old setting. Makes little or no sense to retain a history of different networks.
I unlocked an iTunes digital copy of "Game of Thrones" season 1 from the Blu-Ray set and started watching it on my Apple TV. I don't want to occupy the TV all weekend and drive my sister/roommate insane, so I have taken the Apple TV back and forth between 3 different locations. Even though it's not meant to be a portable device, the Apple TV remembers previous WiFi networks and connects automatically. This has been very convenient because I normally use the Apple's "Remote" app for iOS to control the Apple TV and I've also used AirPlay to stream some of the episodes (avoids buffering since I had already downloaded those episodes to my iDevice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
The (unanimous?) consensus is tivo derives its functionality be recording shows as listed in the guide data and not by functioning as a digital VCR.
Remember programming a VCR? Probably 1-out-of-20 VCR owners actually figured out how to do it.

Things are better now (for TV watchers, anyway).
Ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote