TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
bklinc

Arrow Tivo Android App won't connect

Premier box, Motorola Razr HD phone, wired and wireless network, but will not connect. Tried every trick in trouble-shooting recommendations, and spent over 1/2 hour on telephone with Tivo Tech. support. He tried to be helpful, but still cannot connect. Had some difficulty with Premier when first purchased. It appears Tivo "rushes to market" before getting "bugs" out of hardware and software, allowing purchasers to help them trouble-shoot issues they should have resolved before releasing product. Would have considered purchasing a Roamio, but now have concerns for functionality of Tivo hardware and software. Will wait until the "dust settles" on this product. App is useless.
bklinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

So are you asking for help troubleshooting the Android app, or just complaining?

I assume you did the big step which is enabling network remote control on your Premier? Does the app work in Away mode (using your tivo.com login)? Are your phone and TiVo on the same subnet on your home network?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
bklinc

Both, given past problems with TiVo box! Will gladly accept help, if I can perform recommendations described. Yes, I enabled remote operation within TiVo. Yes, the app works if I log into TiVo.com. I admit I do not understand subnets on a network, nor how to set them. If you can describe operations, will be glad to attempt. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

I guess first we need to confirm that your TiVo and Android device are on the same subnet. On your Premiere, in the Network Information screen (under Settings) you'll find the IP address. It should be something like 192.168.1.x.

We need to do the same thing on your phone, which should be under the WiFi settings. The addresses should match, except for the fourth number. The third number has to match, which is what I'm referring to by the same subnet.

If those numbers don't match, we'll need some more information about how your network is setup and your TiVo is connected.

Also, I assume you've tried rebooting everything (TiVo, router, etc.)?

|
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
bklinc

Thanks for pursuing this. Yes, I rebooted cable modem/wireless router combination, TiVo, and cell phone to try to connect phone to TiVo, as directed by TiVo tech. support. Checked network IP addresses as you recommended. They are not even close! Phone is 10.0.0.11. TiVo is 192.168.1.8. Just out of curiosity, since I had never seen an IP address like the phone address, I checked my Kindle Fire and it is 10.0.0.5. This may be because Kindle and Phone are wirelessly connected, while TiVo is hardwired through Ethernet. House is wired with cat. 5 with outlets in every room, connected through an 8-port hub in Monster Cable box in basement. I have assured that 4G cell phone network is turned off and wireless network is on, on the cell phone. It looks like the problem is with the IP addresses. I notice TiVo has a menu item to assign a static IP address to it. Should I try that, matching it with the cell phone? Am concerned with obvious significant differences between wired and wireless IP addresses.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yep, those disparate IP addresses are most likely the reason your TiVo and phone can't "see" each other.

It sounds like your wireless router is handing out addresses in the 10.0.0.x range. Assigning the TiVo a static IP in the same range probably won't work because it sounds like the wired network is using 192.168.1.x (although you could certainly try it). What other wired network devices do you have?

How does the wired network connect to the internet (i.e., the cable modem)? Is the cable modem connected to the Monster hub?

|
Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
bklinc

I have two desktop PC’s attached to the wired network. I have one other TV (not connected to TiVo) connected to the wired network. Occasionally I will attach one or two laptops to the wired network to update them or pull files from them for use on desktops. TV/internet coax cable comes in from street, attaches to OnQ coax hubs which distribute cable TV signals throughout the house. A coax cable from one of the coax hub ports connects to the cable modem/wireless router, which then connects via Ethernet cable to the Ethernet hub for distribution to the rest of the house. (Hope this makes sense!)
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

Trying to make sense of it ... sounds complicated.

So, what IP addresses do your PCs/laptops get? 192.168.1.x I'm assuming?

It sounds like maybe the wireless network is just a separate network and is bridged into the wired LAN by your cable modem/router. Are you able to get into the web-based administration interface of your router? If you can, you should be able to switch the wireless LAN to use the same subnet (192.168.1.x) as the wired LAN.

|
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
bklinc

I appreciate your attempt to help, but I may have reached a temporary dead end. Yes, PC IP address is 192.168.1.100 (didn't check my wife's). Following your recommendation, I do know how to access my router administration, but this was set up by a relative some time ago who doesn't remember (and didn't record!) the router name and password. I have the wireless network name and password, but that doesn't help in accessing the router configuration. I could do a hard reset on the router, which returns it to factory settings, and reconfigure it. I guess I'm not sure I want to do that just to get a cell phone app to work as another remote control. (I recall the original setup was a bit "rocky"!) I can control the TiVo from the cell phone via TiVo login if need be. Not as much TiVo control as the app however. I guess there should be a caveat that, if the TiVo app doesn't work, you will probably need CNA capabilities to get it to work. Forcing the wireless router to use the same type of IP address as the wired is going deeper into network administration than I am qualified to do. If I decide to pursue this, I will post here again, but I suspect I will not attempt any further. Thanks again for trying to assist. Now I need to discuss with TiVo how I replace my Premier with a Roamio and not be charged a monthly fee for both boxes as has happened to others. They make a decent DVR, but they are not noted for administering their billing properly! Kind regards, & I'll recheck this thread occasionally for further comments.