TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Diamond_D

Question Tivo won't record when TV is off

I have a 6 month old Tivo Premier and I have an intermittent problem - When I first turn on the TV, I can't rewind. It's like the Tivo went to sleep, and when I turn on the TV it wakes up. But it's not just when the TV has been off for a long time.

Just this afternoon we were watching the Olympic trials. We stepped out of the house for a bit, so we hit record, then turned off the TV. When we got back and turned on the TV 20 minutes later, we couldn't rewind, and the missing time wasn't recorded either! The "recording info" said 40 minutes, but there was only 18 minutes recorded and we could see the splice from the point where we turned off the TV to when we turned it back on later. WTH?

We've had a number of other problems with Tivo randomly just not recording the shows it's programmed to get, and the only time it happens is when the TV is off. Really frustrating, when that's the only reason we have it! Does anyone have any ideas?
Diamond_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Are you using HDMI? Try another HDMI port if there is a 2nd.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
edtude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_D View Post
I have a 6 month old Tivo Premier and I have an intermittent problem - When I first turn on the TV, I can't rewind. It's like the Tivo went to sleep, and when I turn on the TV it wakes up. But it's not just when the TV has been off for a long time.

Just this afternoon we were watching the Olympic trials. We stepped out of the house for a bit, so we hit record, then turned off the TV. When we got back and turned on the TV 20 minutes later, we couldn't rewind, and the missing time wasn't recorded either! The "recording info" said 40 minutes, but there was only 18 minutes recorded and we could see the splice from the point where we turned off the TV to when we turned it back on later. WTH?

We've had a number of other problems with Tivo randomly just not recording the shows it's programmed to get, and the only time it happens is when the TV is off. Really frustrating, when that's the only reason we have it! Does anyone have any ideas?
How do you have your Tivo wired to your TV? It sounds like the input to your Tivo is from your TV? Wierd.
edtude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yup, I agree with the post about HDMI possibly being the culprit. Some TVs can sense when HDMI cables are attached but generally they don't cause an issue with whatever is attached. I have one TV that likes to lose audio when an HDMI cable is used and the TV is first turned on. If another HDMI cable doesn't fix it then try either composite or component cables.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Diamond_D

Sorry, I should have included my setup info in the original post.

I am getting OTA broadcast signal through my Mohu Leaf antenna fed directly into the Tivo. The Tivo is connected to the TV through HDMI.

I agree it seems like there must be some issue where the Tivo is sensing the TV off... but I don't understand why the Tivo would be affected by the TV being on, or off, or disconnected all together. The Tivo gets its antenna and network signals directly, and it's job is to record programming to its hard drive. What does it care whether the HDMI output is active at the moment or not?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
lpwcomp

You don't by any chance have the antenna power plugged into a switched outlet that is being turned off when you turn off the TV or Amp or that you turn off when you leave the room?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
celtic pride

I would first try a new hdmi cable looks like you have a''handshake issue'' if that dont work try a different hdmi input on your tv.If you need a new hdmi cable check out monoprice.com,dont pay $60.00 for a new cable when you can get a good cable a lot cheaper!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If your TV is a Sony Bravia or similar,

http://esupport.sony.com/referencebo...raviasync.html

Quote:
Automatically turn off the connected equipment when you turn off the TV.
The TV will automatically turn on and select the respective HDMI input.
The connected equipment is turned on by One-Touch-Play.
Possible operations with BRAVIA Sync buttons.
Equipment listed under External Inputs will turn on automatically when selected.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
edtude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post

Well damn
edtude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtude View Post
Well damn
That applies only to supported connected equipment. The described symptoms would manifest themselves if he is, for example, using a supported Sony amp that is connected via HDMI to the TV and the antenna power is plugged into a switched outlet on the amp.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:

I'm pretty sure TiVo doesn't pay attention to BraviaSync (Sony's brand for the HDMI CEC, Consumer Electronics Control, standard)

Or at least with my playing with it I was never able to make mine pay any annention to the standby, play, pause, ff, rw controls sent through my Samsung TV with Anynet+ (Samsung's name for CEC). OTOH I do use it to make my receiver turn on and off with the TV (even if I was to turn the TV on or off locally without using a remote)

Edit: Here's a review of the latest TiVo the Elite/XL4 that confirms that TiVo still doesn't support HDMI-CEC. So that shouldn't be your problem.
Edit2: Or basically what lpwcomp was saying a few minutes faster than me

I'd try temporarily swaping out the HDMI for component cables to see if the problem is HDMI related (Could still be some weird HDMI copy protection artifact I guess).

And it doesn't look like the antenna you're using is powered, so it couldn't be that. And if the coax runs directly from the antenna to the TiVo I don't see how the TV could be affecting the input signal path. So that seems to leave issues caused by the output path; as illogical as that seems...

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 07-02-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
And it doesn't look like the antenna you're using is powered, so it couldn't be that. And if the coax runs directly from the antenna to the TiVo I don't see how the TV could be affecting the input signal path. So that seems to leave issues caused by the output path; as illogical as that seems...
Unless it's a Leaf Plus, which has a "Power via USB to TV" option.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Diamond_D

lpwcomp - I think you nailed it. We do have the amplified version, and it dawned on me last night that might be what's going on. I feel dumb for not thinking of it, but the sporadic nature of the problem fooled me. It records just fine much of the time with the TV off, so I didn't think it was caused by something that happens every time I turn off the TV, but I guess that's due to variability of signal strength.

I did a little test this morning. When I turned on the TV, I couldn't rewind. The signal looked strong and clear. But then I unplugged the USB cable from the TV (turning off the amplifier) and suddenly the signal was almost non-existant.

So it seems like the USB power shuts off when the TV is off, and if the signal is weak enough at that point, Tivo will just not record. I'm a bit surprised that in some instances Tivo would simply Not record anything (no record of it in the My Shows list) rather than recording a bad signal, but that's my best guess at the time at what's happening.

Thanks to everyone for the input!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah, the Tivo will attempt to record a channel with no signal and automatically delete that recording from the My Shows list if there is no content. It should be in the Recording History, deleted because there was no signal (or something like that).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
lpwcomp

You have to remember, in these all digital OTA times, if there is no signal, there is nothing to record and no way for the TiVo to create an empty recording.

I'd suggest plugging the USB power for the antenna into the TiVo except that I don't know what it's power requirements are vs. what the TiVo can provide.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'd suggest plugging the USB power for the antenna into the TiVo except that I don't know what it's power requirements are vs. what the TiVo can provide.
Maybe just getting a wall adapter with a USB connection would be better.