TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Does Someone Have To Go? - Premiere (5/23/2013)

Did anyone watch this train wreck?

It was painful to watch this real company be put through the reality television production wringer...

People are interviewed in private about their co-workers, and then their comments aired out in a company wide meeting... Salaries are divulged, and then they have to "vote someone off the island"?

I read something on the web that another company was being courted for this show, but they pulled out in time to avert disaster in their company... They were sold that this was an opportunity for their company to be highlighed on television and potentially promote (or demote) employees on television...

At first they were intrigued... Have their company highlighted on television with the opportunity to promote employees in public? Great PR! But they described that the producers started down the path of being more interested in having someone fired...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

I heard about this show a while back and could never get behind the idea of being entertained by someone having their life ruined on national tv by losing their job.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I actually recorded and watched it yesterday.

Train wreck is right!

I don't see any way this gets picked up - or even has more than a couple companies subject them selves to it.

There's a saying that all publicity is good publicity, but what ever happens, the animosity between whoever's left is going to be pretty much fatal to the staff.

The end result has to be a complete restructure which will suck for some. The family may not be worth their salaries, but can you really see someone like Kout taking a $20k pay cut?

On camera maybe, but not in reality.

This show deserves an early death.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
sharkster

That just sounds awful. It hasn't caught my attention/interest, so I haven't planned to watch. Now that I see your reviews and synopses I'm certain that I'm out.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
MikeekiM
Palindromer

At least shows like Undercover Boss and Kitchen Nightmares typically have a positive and inspirational ending... Not all the time...but most of the time...

I just don't ever see this ending in anything but disaster...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Agree it was pretty awful and not to mention humiliating. And they have the nerve to have a cliffhanger! Screw you! Whew!!
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote