TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Golfsferr

Tivo HD TCD652160 power supplies question

I recently replaced the power supply on my Tivo HD TCD652160. The new one I put in was identical to the one I took out only the capacitors were good. I then found a complete unit on Ebay that came from a highly rated individual, and I got it for a fraction of the price I paid for just the power supply, even though I got a fair deal on the new power supply also. The question is, the power supply in the complete unit is very different from the one I took out and the new one I put in. The foot print is the same but the arrangement of the capacitors, cooling elements and coils is not at all like the other two and I was wondering if anyone knew what was the reasons for the two different power supplies? Is it simply just different suppliers with different design solutions or was it a design fix when all the power supply issues were discovered. Thanks in advance for your time.
Golfsferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfsferr View Post
I recently replaced the power supply on my Tivo HD TCD652160. The new one I put in was identical to the one I took out only the capacitors were good. I then found a complete unit on Ebay that came from a highly rated individual, and I got it for a fraction of the price I paid for just the power supply, even though I got a fair deal on the new power supply also. The question is, the power supply in the complete unit is very different from the one I took out and the new one I put in. The foot print is the same but the arrangement of the capacitors, cooling elements and coils is not at all like the other two and I was wondering if anyone knew what was the reasons for the two different power supplies? Is it simply just different suppliers with different design solutions or was it a design fix when all the power supply issues were discovered. Thanks in advance for your time.
There were 2 different versions of the HD power supply, one of which is so similiar in appearance to the one from the original S3, the OLED model, that I suspect it was the original HD supply and that the other one was a production change later on. The "first" one is made by the same company as the OLED model's that it's so similar to, and the "second" one is from a different company.

The change was probably not because of the "capacitor plague" problem because both models have turned up with bulged caps, as has the original S3's supply and lots of various model S2 supplies as well.

Maybe the second model HD supply was cheaper enough wholesale that it made it economic sense to TiVo to make the change.

(Oddly the S2 DT, the last of the S2s, seems to have been largely immune so far, in spite of using caps whose brand name is widely satirized as "CrapXon".)

Do you still have the original "badcapped" supply lying around?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Golfsferr

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I have the bad capped one and the different one. I'll photograph them together and attach later. Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Unitron, very interesting...

Hmmm, I sure hope the caps on my power supply don't go. My TiVo HD was activated on 9/2009 and it's still running ok, for now.
cwerdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
HerronScott

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I have the bad capped one and the different one. I'll photograph them together and attach later. Thanks
Can you list the following information on both in case it's not visible in the photos?

TiVo S3 HD capacitor list
Acbel Polytech ST7002-BW0G
TiVo PN SPWR-00011-000 Rev B0
3.3V 5.7A
5.0V 9.1A
12.0V 1.2A

TiVo S3 OLED capacitor list
3Y power supply CP-1104 R2
TiVo PN SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3
3.3V 4.1A
5.0V 8.4A
7.5V 1.9A
12.0V 1.0A

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Golfsferr

Power supply pictures

Scott, Unitron,

Here's the pics as promised. However, Scott you assume I know more than I do.
I would be happy to list the things you wanted but have no idea where that information is. I looked on the PS but I'm not sure what to look for, sorry.
Make it idiot proof and I'll do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS differences.jpg (98.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Golfsferr

After looking a little closer I found some of the information you are talking about
The one still in the unit had:
AC/Bell ST7002-BWOG
SPWR-00011-000 072835216A
3.3 - 5.7A
5 - 9.1A
12 - 1.2A

All I could find on the PS outside the unit was:
3Y Power supply
SPWR-0011-000 REV BO
I could not see a list of capacitors

I hope this helps you and please tell me the significances of it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Scott, Unitron,

Here's the pics as promised. However, Scott you assume I know more than I do.
I would be happy to list the things you wanted but have no idea where that information is. I looked on the PS but I'm not sure what to look for, sorry.
Make it idiot proof and I'll do it.
Is the one on the left the original supply that went bad and was replaced with a lookalike, and the one on the right the one in the eBay unit?

Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Golfsferr

Yes you are correct.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Golfsferr

Do you think the one on the right is one of the more reliable ones or just another power supply?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Do you think the one on the right is one of the more reliable ones or just another power supply?
It's probably 6 of one and a half-dozen of the other.

Both, as well as the original S3 supply, have all had bad caps.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
HerronScott

No idea on reliability between the 2 but the one that's in the TiVo has fewer capacitors to fail.

The only odd thing that I did not expect was for the one outside the TiVo (3Y power supply very similar to the original S3 OLED power supply) to have the same TiVo part number and revision as the alternate Acbel one that was in my TiVo HD - TiVo PN SPWR-00011-000 Rev B0. I expected it to at least have a different rev number.

I found the output voltage and current numbers printed on the power supply board of the 2 versions I have (1 OLED and 1 HD). The only significance is really the ratings on the power supply. The OLED version also supplies 7.5V for the front display which isn't needed on the HD and they have different current capabilities for the 3.3V, 5V and 12V outputs. I was interested in seeing what the ratings were on the second HD version (3Y model).

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
Golfsferr

Scott
What's odd also is the AC/Bell has the same spwr number but no revision info and the 3y has a slightly different number, one less 0 in the first set of digits but it has the revision B0.
Steve