TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
siratfus

Is my Tivo about to kick the bucket?

In the past, when a channel would start breaking up like when you're on a cell phone and you're losing reception.... I would just hit the replay button and it would straighten itself out. Well recently, this is happening too often. Then in the past few days, it has gotten worse on whole new level. Guide comes up blank sometimes, or if you can scroll one page, the next page is blank. There are long delays when changing channels to not even responding sometimes, reboots itself when frozen, etc. Normally in the past, when tivo is done restarting, I know it takes awhile before you can see live tv, but I used to be able to watch the NOW PLAYING list. But now, even that list will be blank for a very long time.

Last edited by siratfus : 09-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
siratfus

Been rebooting throughout the night. I am sad.

It's going to be expensive looking for the same 2tb drive I had installed in there. But hopefully, this is just a hard drive issue. Don't want to lose the lifetime.

Last edited by siratfus : 09-10-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
siratfus

Light bulb went off in my head. Realize I recently bought a Metro Vacuum to clean my pcs. So I thought what if this is a dust issue? I've owned the tivo for over 3 and half years and never blew it out with air. So I opened it up and blew out all the dust and cleaned it up.

Seems to functioning fine now. Knock on wood!! Lets see how long before it freezes or reboots again. But so far, it's behaving like it should.

I know I'm talking to myself, but it makes me feel better. LOL.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
LifeIsABeach

If you have anything on the hard drive you don't want to lose I would consider transferring them to a PC or backing up to a new hard-drive.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If you need to post again seeking more help, please identify the TiVo model and whether you're using a Tuning Adapter, CableCARD(s) and/or expander drive. Your location and cable co might be useful also.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
siratfus

Well, the dust thing was not the answer. Still breaking up constantly, major lag in guide info loading.

TivoHD XL (TCD658000)
Verizon Fios
No tuning adapter
1 M card
Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Prime suspects are the hard drive and the power supply. You should check these out. Since I believe forum member unitron has a paste-in set of instructions for this, which is needed about twice a day on this forum, I will wait in hopes he posts the instructions here. If you get in a rush, just search the forum for his posts -- they will be obvious.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
siratfus

Updating myself in case my info can help someone in the future.

So of the three options for my TIVOHD XL:

WD20EARX
WD20EURS
WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN

I used the WD20EURS as recommended by others. However, for my situation, I'm not doing an upgrade to a larger drive, I'm going from 2tb to 2tb, so all I needed to do was clone. Others suggested to run wdidle3, but an Amazon reviewer said that the disk idle timer was already disabled at default. Call me lazy, but I took his word for it. His tivo is also the tivohd xl, so I felt comfortable. Took the drive out of the static bag and did not run wdidle3 to prep it, I went straight to my EZ GIG cloning software. This is free, you can download from Apricorn.com, but I also have the Apricorn Drivewire Universal Hard Drive adapter. I'm not sure if the software works or not if it doesn't detect the drivewire. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I had source drive connected to the drivewire, and the destination drive was in a thermaltake docking station. Anyway, my first hiccup was when windows restarted on me due to updates and automatic restarts. Stupid me for not disabling these things first. 12 hours wasted. There was some good suggestions from fellow members about "booting from a Linux disk and using dd command" instead of windows. But I did not understand the lingo, and too lazy to learn something new. LOL. So I stuck to what I knew... I disabled all windows updates, and scheduled virus scans and proceeded. I had a lot of stuff on my source drive, so the cloning took over over 50 hrs. The fact that neither the source or the destination drive was attached internally probably contributed to the lengthy process.

Tested it today, everything is smooth and it seem quieter than the former WD20EADS. Tested a few reboots and it did not hang. All is good. I recommend the EZ Gig software if you're using windows, this is the second time I've used it to clone a tivo drive, and successful both times.

Last edited by siratfus : 09-15-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
unitron

If one just needs to "Xerox" a drive onto another of the same size or larger, burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 and use

dd_rescue

Just be sure you know which drive is which when you enter the identifiers for source and target.

And use the

-v

option so that it tells you what's going on, and if the screen goes blank after awhile, hit the spacebar to restore it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote