TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
dlowe

tivoweb module - schedule

Attached below if my first attempt at creating a TivoWeb module. I have been a long time lurker, but I finally took the dive and got a TurboNet card last week, and have been playing with TivoWeb modules for the past couple of days.

The module that I have written shows in calendar format all upcoming "to-do" items and programs that are in your "now showing list". You can navigate to previous and coming weeks by click forward and back arrows.

A couple of comments before you try this out yourself.

This is my first TivoWeb module and the first time I have ever written code in TCL, so the coding is most likely not as efficient as it should be. I have also designed and tested to work on my Series 1 stand alone running 3.x. I have no idea if this code will work on any other versions, or platforms of TiVo. So you mileage will vary. Also, I am in the Eastern Time zone, and I don't know if other time zones will cause any display issues.

Of course use at your own risk, there is no warranty implied or otherwise.

Finally what do you think? Do you see this as a useful module? To me it is, because I like to know what is going to be recorded over the next couple of weeks, and what shows are on when.

Please also provide some constructive criticism, how can I make the code more efficient, better platform support. Also any features that you would like to see?

The attached zip file contains the schedule.itcl code and a schedule.css style sheet.

For best look and feel, use my .css, and run IE. The site should work in all other browsers, but it will look best in IE.

One finial note, the schedule starts daily at 12:00pm. This is my preference. I TiVo alot of shows in the eastern and pacific time zones. So to me a show like West Wing is a Wednesday show, even though it may be taped at 12:00 am eastern on Thursday morning.

Feel free to play with the startTime and endTime variables to get the schedule to show the way that you want.

Thanks,
David
dlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
dlowe

don't know why but the attachment did not come through on the orginal post.

Please note that the attached is NOT the lastest release. The latest release schedule-0.0.3.zip can be found in the 01-17-2003 posting
Attached Files
File Type: zip schedule-0.0.1.zip (3.5 KB, 587 views)

Last edited by dlowe : 01-17-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
level42
Slacker

hey, this is great! i have already cancelled some recordings from this and next week that i really didn't want.. i really like having the schdule represented this way, good work! let me know if you are interested in any feedback...

thanks again,
bill
level42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
dperovic
Where's my Series 3?

Looks good to me!

Works like a charm for me. I'm running a SA with 3.1. Even with the TiVo Community theme it will be extremely useful. Thanks!
dperovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
SteveTheITGuy

dlowe,

Great module.. I love it! I think it is so much easier to look at the data in this format. Keep up the good work.
Sony SVR-2000, 3.0-01-1-010, 298Hrs, TurboNet and TivoWeb
SteveTheITGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:02 AM   #6
zvonar

Arrow

I agree - great module and an enhancement to Tivoweb.

One comment - for me the daily columns started at 12PM and run to 11PM, then 12AM the next day starts. For example, Sunday morning recordings are at the bottom of the Saturday column. Is this WAD?
Old 01-11-2003, 08:16 AM   #7
Milhouse

On a UK TiVo:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_schedule '/' ''
invalid attribute: RecordingBehavior
while executing
"dbobj $rec get RecordingBehavior"
("uplevel" body line 6)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
"ForeachMfsFileTrans fsid name type $path $prefix 15 {

set rec [db $db openid $fsid]
set manual 0
set suggestion 0
..."
(procedure "::action_schedule" line 84)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--

Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:23 AM   #8
radish
Honourable Member

Milhouse - you beat me to it! Exact same problem here, UK v2.5.5.

Sounded so cool too
radish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #9
trubin

very cool, but I don't like the way the times are organized, starting at 12pm, instead of 12am

but other than that, execelent...
trubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #10
SteveTheITGuy

Until dlowe gets it fixed for the UK guys, here is a quick screen pic with the Blue theme.

trubin, you should be able to edit the scripts quite easily to change the start time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schedule-blue.jpg (94.8 KB, 976 views)
Sony SVR-2000, 3.0-01-1-010, 298Hrs, TurboNet and TivoWeb
SteveTheITGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:36 AM   #11
Milhouse

Thanks Steve - I want it even more now!
Old 01-11-2003, 12:59 PM   #12
zvonar

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveTheITGuy

trubin, you should be able to edit the scripts quite easily to change the start time.
Line 193, 194, 195:
Code:
   set startColumn [expr      61200 + $tzoffset]
   set startTime              61200
   set endTime               145800
Change to:
Code:
   set startColumn [expr      18000 + $tzoffset]
   set startTime              18000
   set endTime               102600

Old 01-11-2003, 06:52 PM   #13
stickboy

Great module! My only suggestion is to figure out something better to ditch the separate stylesheet, or make the stylesheet compatible with the existing themes. (i.e., don't mess with the colors or font faces)
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:36 PM   #14
dlowe

Thanks everyone for you postive feedback. I have posted an other point release for the code that will hopefully solve the problem that Milhouse & Radish posted. Plesae let me know since, I don't have a UK machine to test on.

In regards to Zvonar's comment, you have done exactly what I expected users that did not want the time formated the way that I liked it. To make it easier for others down the road I added the following at the begining of the code module:

# Start schedule day at 12:00PM

set startColumn [expr 61200 + $tzoffset]
set startTime 61200
set endTime 145800

# Start schedule day at 12:00AM

#set startColumn [expr 18000 + $tzoffset]
#set startTime 18000
#set endTime 102600

Just add/remove the comments for what ever one you want. I have keep the default the same as the orginal version.

In regards to Stickboy's comment. You don't need to use my stylesheet as other have reported my module works fine with the other standard stylesheets. The schedule.css is just my preference, plus is works with all other modules. The module code does not use any fixed, font size, colour or face. So any style sheet should work.

Once again thanks everyone for your encoragement.

david
Old 01-11-2003, 07:57 PM   #15
dlowe

Forgot the attachment.

Please note that the attached is NOT the lastest release. The latest release schedule-0.0.3.zip can be found in the 01-17-2003 posting
Attached Files
File Type: zip schedule-0.0.2.zip (3.6 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by dlowe : 01-17-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:04 PM   #16
Milhouse

dlowe - the new version works great with a UK v2.5.5 TiVo! Looks fine with Daynight2.css.

One suggestion - would it be possible to view the Schedule without descriptions? Perhaps the addition of a checkbox to toggle the inclusion of descriptions - my default preference would be without descriptions, but would probably best if the default could be configured by editing the script.

Great addition to the selection of modules - thanks for your efforts.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:14 PM   #17
Milhouse

dlowe - now that I've had a bit longer to play with it I've noticed it's not showing any programmes for the whole of week #2 (or week #1, etc.). I initially thought it was because it didn't have any history and that there was nothing scheduled for Sunday 12th Jan but in fact there are three programmes in my ToDo list for Sunday (and they're not suggestions, all of them starting and ending on the Sunday so not spanning midnight). Also there are plenty of programmes in Now Showing for week #2 (and well into 2002) which I understand it uses to "back populate" the calendar.

The following week (week #3) looks fine with programmes showing for each of the days.

Last edited by Milhouse : 01-11-2003 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:15 AM   #18
stickboy

Quote:
Originally posted by dlowe
In regards to Stickboy's comment. You don't need to use my stylesheet as other have reported my module works fine with the other standard stylesheets. The schedule.css is just my preference, plus is works with all other modules. The module code does not use any fixed, font size, colour or face. So any style sheet should work.
I know, but it looks significantly better with your style sheet, which visibly distinguishes the show name from the episode description.

I'm just saying that it would be nice if it were easier to merge your style sheet with the existing themes.
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:05 AM   #19
TIVO_YORK99

Note Thanks a lot

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for the module to dlowe.

Works great on my UK Tivo.

Pete
TIVO_YORK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:50 AM   #20
trubin

I was working with the module, and think I may have ran across an issue. The attached image shows that Jerry Springer is in conflict of the new recording, but it doesn't show in the schedule module.

I also noticed that some programs at the end of the week show up on the wrong day, but wasn't able to reproduce that one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip screen_dmp1.zip (82.5 KB, 182 views)
trubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:22 AM   #21
IamMBS

I am having problems getting this module to work for me. I am running a SA with version 3.0 software. I am running Tivoweb 1.9.4b5. I have the schedule.itcl file in "tivoweb-tcl/modules" directory and have the permissions set to 664 like all the other modules. Owner is set to 0 while all the other files are set to 1000, could this be my problem? How would I change this? Thank You

I am getting this error:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_schedule '/' ''
no such object:
while executing
"dbobj $series fsid"
("uplevel" body line 12)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
"ForeachMfsFileTrans fsid name type $nowshowingdir "" 15 {
set rec [db $db openid $fsid]

set showing [dbobj $rec get S..."
(procedure "::action_schedule" line 45)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--
IamMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:14 AM   #22
Milhouse

Hi, another possible bug. For Monday @ 8pm there is a showing of Enterprise, but the schedule has shown this for Tuesday at 8pm.

Also, Monday is starting at at 5pm and finishing at 4.30pm - I have a showing of Stargate scheduled for 10am on Monday but this is showing in the bottom half of the schedule, which I would assume is Tuesday morning. Is the Schedule using a US TimeZone on UK TiVos?

I've attached a couple of images that should give an idea of what is happening regarding the Enterprise problem. These screenshots where taken at 9am GMT.
Attached Files
File Type: zip enterprise.zip (45.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-13-2003, 06:30 AM   #23
zvonar

Milhouse:
I guess timezones are not accounted, so just change the start/stop times: post

Except I think your numbers would be 0,0, and 84600
Old 01-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #24
Milhouse

I'll have a look at fixing the start/stop times so that it's correct for both UK and US TiVo's - there's a uktivo environment variable (or possibly tivouk) which can be checked at runtime. I'd also like to stop the suggestions from appearing in the Schedule - my TiVo is obsessed with Friends for some reason and it's depressing to see how often it's appearing!
Old 01-13-2003, 12:11 PM   #25
dlowe

Once again thanks everyone for you feedback.

I will try to answer your questions in order.

Millhouse I will add a parameter in the next release of the code to turn off the program descriptions, but in the meantime, you can do the following:

Quote:
comment out or delete line 277

puts $chan " [html_link "/showing/$getShowingfsid" $getDescription {CLASS="schedule_description"}]"
Various People I have also discovered a bug in the code where if a program does not start either on the hour or the half hour it will not be displayed in the schedule. This is exactly why Trubin's Jerry Springer is not in the list. I will try to figure out around this, most likely by rounding the start time to the closest 30 minute mark.

IamMBS Your problem does not sound like it is a permission problem. The error message sounds more like an issue with reading the database. You have indicated that you are running beta 5 of tivoweb. Try updating to the full release of v1.9.4. I have also found in my experience, that sometime modules fail for no apparent reason. Reloading the web page after waiting 15-20 seconds seems to fix it.

I am also going to try to get a better handle on the timezones for the next release. so that hopefully I will solve peoples problems outside of Eastern time zone.

Finally, I am looking at adding a new feature of "quick actions", an example is in the screen shot below.

My thoughts on this are, by clicking on a hot spot in each schedule cell, you will be able to perform various actions:

a) Find out what else is on in that slot
b) Cancel the recording
c) Display episode details
d) watch now (for previously recorded shows)

etc.

I will make these actions context sensitive, so for empty slots only the "Find out what else is on" will be displayed, and the display episode details will only show if they are disabled for general rendering.

What do you think. Any other actions that you will think are useful?
Attached Images
File Type: gif newfeature.gif (10.8 KB, 300 views)
Old 01-17-2003, 03:19 PM   #26
dlowe

Here is the latest release of my schedule TiVo web modules.

This new release contains a few new features and user configurable parameters. Here is what is new:

* Added a parameter for the base (in 24 hour format) schedule start time. This should easily allow you to set the time
that you want the schedule to start the day with. The default has now been set to 0, for 12:00am. This should
prevent some confusion that some people had with programs that wrap.

* Added a parameter to enable or disable the displaying of a shows description in the schedule. The new default is now
false, because it makes things look nicer. If you have QuickActions enabled you can easily look up the show descriptions
at any time

* Added a parameter to enable or disable QuickActions. QuickActions allow you to quickly perform or time slot specific
actions with the least amount of clicking.

The following QuickActions are available in this release:

- Episode Details
- Delete Recording
- *** What Else Is On ***
- Watch Now

*** Please note that the "What Else Is On" module requires the whatson.itcl module from LJ. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.ljs.nildram.co.uk/tivo.html

* Added a parameter to allow QuickActions results to load in a separate window or the current one. The default is a separate one, since it improve performance.

* Added support for shows that do not start or end exactly on the full hour or half hour. They will be slotted in to the closest 30 min slot.
Attached Files
File Type: zip schedule-0.0.3.zip (9.3 KB, 1049 views)
Old 01-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #27
Attack

Thanks you for this very cool TiVoWeb module.

I have 3 TiVo's and would like to come up with a way to load one web page that shows this info for all three TiVos at once (or more TiVo's if I had them). Would anyone else be interested in something like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:09 AM   #28
Willin

Quote:
Originally posted by IamMBS
I am having problems getting this module to work for me.
I have the same problems here. I just wrapped the problem line with a catch and it comes right up. Change line 180 to this:

catch {set seriesfsid [dbobj $series fsid]}
Willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:46 AM   #29
Willin

I like to have the descriptions visible which also provides the link to showing. If there isn't an episode description, then there isn't a way to link to showing. Can you add some default text like "No episode information" so the link is still there? Something like this works for me starting at line 398:

Code:
catch {set getDescription [lindex $getValue 3]}
if {$getDescription == ""} {
    set getDescription "No episode information"
}

Willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #30
Milhouse

Nice work dlowe - unfortunately there still seems to be problems with the UK TimeZone - the attached image shows a schedule for January 13 - 19, but the programs shown are for the incorrect day.

For instance, "Trigger Happy TV" was shown on Monday 13th January (according to Schedule) but according to the episode detail it actually aired on Sunday 12th January. This is consistent with the other progammes, all the times are correct but the date is off by +1.
Attached Images
File Type: png schedule2a.png (49.5 KB, 169 views)