Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2003, 05:03 PM   #1
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Thumbs up Digiguide Search v2.4 - Setting up Recordings using DigiGuide

Digiguide Search v2.4

I've written (by means of trying to understand the TiVoWEB code ) a script that will enable digiguide to setup a TiVo recording instantly.

By right clicking on a programme in DigiGuide and selecting "Record Programme with TiVo" it extracts the programme with TiVoWEB. It tries to match time and date and channel and then takes you directly to the conflicts page. You can then either confirm the recording with a single click or review the conflicts. Once at this page you can even set/edit/cancel a seasonpass by clicking on the programme's link.

There is now also an option in the digiguide menu to "Watch this Channel with TiVo" allowing you to switch to that channel automatically.

It works pretty good for me so if anyone is interested they are welcome to use it.

If there are any problems, post here and i'll try to fix them

Since version 2, you also need the channel mapping file, also found at the bottom of this post.

Cheers,

Shane.

P.S. Remember to do a quick reload when you upload the new script

ver 1.1
- Uploaded new version which mensions that you have to modify the vbs file to point to your tivo's ip ( and not mine )

ver 1.2
- Fixed bug which returned programmes on channels you don't recieve - thanks starbug1234 for testing

ver 1.3
- Now opens in default browser not just IE - thanks pahunt(Firebird) and devoiddroid(Opera) for testing

ver 1.4
- When the programme exists but doesn't match the date and time it now lists those programmes automatically incase there are small differences in start time or when there are lineup errors
- Words such as 'and' removed from keyword search, this gives higher probability for a programme match - thanks dialanothernumb for raising this

ver 1.5
- A function has been implemented so that if you're lucky enough to have more than 1 tivo a link comes up on the conflicts page that says "Try this recording on other TiVo", it then takes you to the conflicts page on the other tivo with the current program. This even works if you don't have digiguide, just upload the itcl file and make the changes - thanks dialanothernumb for testing

ver 1.6
- I've re-written the code thanks to sandertons idea's. It now extracts the programme directly from schedule by time/date/channel without trying to match the title (which is sometimes different!).
- I've added the option to "Watch this Channel with TiVo" to the digiguide menu which changes the channel for you without having to pick up the remote

ver 1.7
- There were problems with the channel numbers being sent by digiguide, in some cases they didn't match up with TiVo. Digiguide now sends the channel name and TiVo then matches it to its own callsign (eg BBC Radio One -> BBCR1). To anyone using the original search code, this version is much quicker.

ver 1.8
- Added Ulster ITV to the channel mapping
- Now working corretly if used through a reverse proxy
- Corrected bug in multiple tivo channel mapping
link to version 1.8

ver 1.9
- Added TopUp TV to the channel mapping (corrected in 1.9.3)
- Fixed problem with daylight savings time difference
- Corrected channel mapping for sci fi and sky cinema channels (ver. 1.9.4)
link to version 1.9.4

ver 2.0
- Separated the channel mapping file so it can be updated easily, see section below
- Now the channel mapping from digiguide is case independent
link to version 2.0

ver 2.1
- Could not always find the chan_map.txt file, now fixed
link to version 2.1
Changes made only to file: digiguidesearch.itcl since last version.

ver 2.2
- Channel names containing "&" were causing a problem, now fixed
link to version 2.2
Changes made only to file: tivo-record.vbs since last version.

ver 2.3
- Bug in calculating correct ending of british summer time
link to version 2.3
Changes made only to file: digiguidesearch.itcl since last version.

ver 2.4
- Small fix stopping an error message when program data is not yet available on the tivo
link to version 2.4
Changes made only to file digiguidesearch.itcl since last version.

Channel Mapping File
Upload to tivoweb modules directory
Download here - updated 7/3/2005
-- Added FXUK (FX)
-- Added ITVTHREE (ITV3)
-- Added UKTV channels/Documentary & People - thanks Neil
-- Added Living (Living TV) & BBC2LDN (BBC 2 London) - thanks jfs5
-- Added Challenge Plus 1 and corrected Sky one mix and Challenge - thanks P.J. & BobBlueUK
Attached Files
File Type: zip digiguidesearch_2.4.zip (82.4 KB, 512 views)
File Type: txt chan_map.txt (23.9 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by shanew : 10-08-2005 at 09:01 AM.
shanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:40 AM   #2
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Looks good from here - that should save me a bit of effort.

Another little pointer, if you use the tivo with apache forwarding and a virtual directory, you can change the ip address to:

192.168.0.55/tivo

or whatever yours is and it works just fine.

Now to test it from work

ˇɥɐɹɹnɥ ˙oʌıʇ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɥʇıʍ ʍou
kitschcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:12 AM   #3
Paul Webster

Just to be clear - the difference (as I understand it) between this one and the one that I put into DABDig is that the DABDig one is built to be run unattended whereas this one is designed to allow you to work interactively. The idea for DABDig being that you set markers in DigiGuide and it fires them when it decides that it is time to record something.
I can see that this might be less interesting for a TiVo community that relies on the TiVo making such decisions.
You can also run DABDig throgh DGScript and have it invoke immediately on clicking ... but if you are sitting there to clock then you might as well use Shane's script and get conflicts resolved there and then.
Clearly there are pros and cons for each approach - basically meaning that the user can choose to run which ever they want (even with both).
Old 11-19-2003, 04:28 AM   #4
dialanothernumb

Absolutely Paul

These two methodologies work to different strengths. The advantage of DABDig is that it can be fired unattended with no user input. The advantage of Shanes module is that it places recordings in the scope of Endpad (which doesn't work with Manual Recordings) Edit: Endpad works fine with manual recordings

Thanks to both Paul and Shane, Tivo-ers have two approaches to using Digiguide as a complementary EPG. Brilliant!

Last edited by dialanothernumb : 11-19-2003 at 08:22 AM.
dialanothernumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:02 AM   #5
starbug1234

Hi,

Im probably doing something stupid, but I get this error:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_conflicts '' 'set "quality" "75";set "kal" "2";set "startearly" "0";set "endlate" "0";set "objectid" "207838/37";'
can't read "channum": no such variable
while executing
"td $channum"
(procedure "do_conflictsrow" line 30)
invoked from within
"do_conflictsrow $chan $showing [expr $startearly * 60] [expr $endlate * 60]"
("uplevel" body line 8)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
"transaction {uplevel $body}"
(procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
if { [regexp {([0-9]*)/(.*)} $objectid junk fsid subobjid] } {
set showing [db $db openidconstruction $fsid $subobjid]
..."
(procedure "::action_conflicts" line 45)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--

Any ideas??

Thx

Stuart
starbug1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:03 AM   #6
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Yes, that's right. I like using Digiguide to search through the tv schedules for the next few days, but unfortunatly I don't keep the pc on 24/7 so I wanted to setup the recordings there and then and also check if there are conflicts.

This program just enabled me to by-pass the process of opening IE, navigating to tivoweb, clicking 'search', typing in the programme title, selecting the right programme, selecting the episode and then clicking record!! It also does a keyword search when the title is not found.

note to users - if a programme is conflicting with itself then you know it is already in the todo list!
Old 11-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #7
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Hi starbug1234,

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is there, but the error is coming from the original tivoweb code. "channum" is defined in the conflicts function. Do you get this error for all attempts at setting up the recording or just this specific show?

If you do a normal search for that program with tivoweb do you get the same error?

Shane.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:00 AM   #8
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Quote:
Originally posted by dialanothernumb
The advantage of Shanes module is that it places recordings in the scope of Endpad (which doesn't work with Manual Recordings)
Doesn't it?

I don't use manual recordings, so I've never tried, but I don't see why it wouldn't?
sanderton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:38 AM   #9
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

startbug1234,

I've figured out the problem. Its trying to make a recording from a channel you don't recieve ( trying to record BBC2 instead of BBC2NTH )

I'll make the modifications tonight and post the update.

Shane.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:52 AM   #10
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
Doesn't it?

I don't use manual recordings, so I've never tried, but I don't see why it wouldn't?
Sorry Stuart, I guess I mixed up the softpad thread saying that it ignored manual recordings with endpad (though I haven't actually tried endpad with manual recordings...)

Shane.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:21 AM   #11
groovyclam

Endpad does definitely softpad manual recordings with just the same rules/behaviour as a non-manual.
groovyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:30 AM   #12
dialanothernumb

Endpad and manual recordings do work okay... I'm sorry... I just had a look at my endpad log and realised that for some reason endpad had stopped working. It was a bit weird. I ran ps ax, didn't see endpad, so assumed it had died and started it again only to see the message in bash that endpad was already running. The log looked stuck.
My remedy: deleted the log and reinstalled endpad.

Sorry for the duff view.

One thing I have noticed as an advantage of the manual recording via DG is that when the guide data runs out for say the bbc, you can still record a manual recording. There was a film on C4 for 29th November (A Town Like alice) which wasn't in the tivo, but was in DG. (Not too happy that the guide data from Tribune doesn't go 10 days ahead....)

I presume the only risk there is that whilst DG looks further ahead, the schedule futher ahead is more likely to be changed...
Old 11-19-2003, 09:01 AM   #13
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

I've uploaded a new version which should fix the bug that starrbug1234 was getting

starbug1234, please confirm
Old 11-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #14
starbug1234

Shanew,

That has seemed to do the trick!! Thanks for the prompt action

Stuart
starbug1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:14 AM   #15
devoiddroid

This is absolutely great.
But is it possible to get it to open the default browser (I use Opera), instead of using Internet Explorer all the time (which I can't stand).
Old 11-19-2003, 11:27 AM   #16
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Quote:
Originally posted by dialanothernumb
(Not too happy that the guide data from Tribune doesn't go 10 days ahead....)
My C4 data runs until the 29th am, while Digiguide runs to three days later. As Tribune data has to be passed to TiVo, processed, then uploaded to your TiVo and indexed before it appears, while Digiguide data is instantly available, that sounds about right.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:25 PM   #17
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Quote:
Originally posted by devoiddroid
This is absolutely great.
But is it possible to get it to open the default browser (I use Opera), instead of using Internet Explorer all the time (which I can't stand).
I've modified the vbs file that goes in your digiguide directory so that it should open up in your default browser (attachment).

I don't have any other browser installed so if you could test it and it works i'll make it a permanent change in the first post.

Cheers,

Shane

P.S. delete the .txt from the file name otherwise it won't work.

EDIT: Attachment removed, now in new version

Last edited by shanew : 11-19-2003 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:34 PM   #18
pahunt

Seems to work OK for me (I'm using Firebird)
Old 11-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #19
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Quote:
Originally posted by pahunt
Seems to work OK for me (I'm using Firebird)
Great, i'll upload it to the main post

Cheers,

Shane.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:42 PM   #20
devoiddroid

Thumbs up

Thank You!

Just tested and works fine with Opera too.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #21
dsloper

I have installed, but everytime I try to record a program, tivoweb just says:

Sorry, unable to find <progname> at specified time.

Happens with all programs on all channels - any ideas?

MTIA
dsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM   #22
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

dsloper,

That page is only displayed if the program you've searched for from digiguide does not appear in tivo's listings. The only things that i can think of that may cause this are if
- there is no guide date on the tivo, or
- your digiguide is setup with a different linup eg searching for a sky1 programme when you only have freeview

If neither of these are true then i'll have to have a re-think.

It basically uses the search function from tivoweb, do you have any problems when you do a manual search?

Maybe that 'sorry, unable to find <your programme> at specified time' is a bit of a dead end page, i may change it to list the programmes that DO match the titie/keyword search at the end, incase there are slight differences in date/start time. - this also may help to solve your problem dsloper.

Shane
Old 11-20-2003, 04:38 AM   #23
dsloper

I have sky digital, with digiguide and Tivo for the channels I receive.

Actually, just looking at the problem again, and the problem appears to be with Tivoweb itself rather than your module.

All my guide data on the Tivo is correct, but all of TivoWeb's times are an hour later than the real program time - almost as though tivoweb is still using BST somehow.

Not sure what is causing that because the Tivo time itself (and Tivo guide data) is correct.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:42 AM   #24
dialanothernumb

That's a good idea Shane (to list near misses) It's something I'd like to fix about various parts of TiVoweb, to stop the dead ends.

As Shanew knows I've been trying to fix the "dead end" in the conflicts page. At the moment there are two choices when a program you WANT to record conflicts with something already scheduled. Either, you go ahead with the new recording, or forget it. If you have a second tivo, it would be good to have script that checked the second tivo with the same search string, and handed over the recording.

(Sure you could have this on both tivos and just keep handing over in a loops. Happens all the time in corportae Britain anyway!)
Old 11-20-2003, 04:43 AM   #25
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

That's pretty odd, have you tried doing a "Full Restart" of tivoweb?
Old 11-20-2003, 06:49 AM   #26
dsloper

yep - even rebooted the tivo - and times in TivoWeb ( and tivo web only ) are still an hour out (ie BST) - really strange.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:57 AM   #27
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

There is a bug in TiVoWeb where it doesn't notice that the clocks have changed until its restarted - but if you've rebooted... Very odd.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:00 AM   #28
dialanothernumb

BBC1 regions problem and fix(?)

Where I live, both the freeview and cable channel setups allow for setup of BBCOne as either BBC1 SE and BBC1 London on Channel 1. Normally I have set up BBC1 Ldn as my channel 1 on the TiVo ("channels you watch").

Using DGsearch, I've found that I get the channel number error on TiVoweb, only on BBC1 programmes.

If I go back to TiVo, include BBC1 SE as another "channel I watch" on Channel 1, I then find the recording is made as normal.

This is, I suppose a fix, but I wondered whether the script checks all channels or only "channels watched" in using the search module?

As an aside: I was a bit surprised to find the two regions listed in TiVo's assumption of my freeview/ntl cable pack, but I guess the packs put together are a bit generic to encompass a wide region with two regional flavours (I don't even know if the BBC I actually receive is SE or LDN, but I guess since the Freeview version receives from Crystal Palace its LDN
Old 11-20-2003, 11:46 AM   #29
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

I think this is the same problem that starbug1234 saw which I fixed in ver 1.2 (check the first post). Check you are using the newest version as the search should no longer be returning results from channels you don't watch.

Cheers,

Shane
Old 11-20-2003, 04:34 PM   #30
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Version 1.4 uploaded to first post