TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #91
feldon23
MythBuster

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/
Old 01-06-2004, 06:44 PM   #92
BrettStah

Feldon, if I missed your reply I apologize, but did you see my question earlier in this thread about your statement regarding switching output formats only with the front panel buttons and not with the remote?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #93
feldon23
MythBuster

Hi Brett,

I haven't heard anything concrete. What I remember from early posts was that it was a switch on the front of the unit and could NOT be controlled by remote. Maybe I am completely mis-remembering. If this is in error, then I will correct it.

Ok, I've updated the FAQ to explain the vagueness of this.

Last edited by feldon23 : 01-06-2004 at 08:26 PM.
feldon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:20 PM   #94
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
Hi Brett,

I haven't heard anything concrete. What I remember from early posts was that it was a switch on the front of the unit and could NOT be controlled by remote. Maybe I am completely mis-remembering. If this is in error, then I will correct it.
Some time ago when that picture was first posted and I exclaimed how bad it is if there were no codes for it, someone chimed in saying there was a control on the remote to toggle through them. No word on if there's discrete codes to select a specific format (which I would really seriously hope they provide).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:51 PM   #95
enodev

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Unfortunately, the HD-Tivo will not output on the analog outputs while set to output a HD signal, so I'll need a way to switch to an analog output in order to watch something on a TV somewhere other than my main TV. [/b]
Can you view 480p via component video?
enodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:54 PM   #96
feldon23
MythBuster

Component can carry 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Some home theater receivers cannot pass the entire frequency range and only work with 480p.

Realize that early Component inputs were basically super S-Video or 480i.

DVD players output 480p or better.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:42 AM   #97
enodev

Thanks, but I understand all that. My question is will the HD Tivo run 480p through the component outputs? The original quote claimed in HD mode, all analog outputs were disabled.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #98
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by enodev
Thanks, but I understand all that. My question is will the HD Tivo run 480p through the component outputs? The original quote claimed in HD mode, all analog outputs were disabled.
The capability of disabling analog output of high definition signals is present in HDCP, but 480p is not high definition. It's also not that the analog outputs would be completely disabled in such cases, but that the resolution would be reduced from high definition in such cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:35 AM   #99
webboy1

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigg
Theres no need for simultansous output now, as the reason for that (or one of the reasons) is so that you could record HD or regular rpogramming off of a HD rec onto a TiVo w/o switching the output manually.
Wrong some of us have a Zone 2 capable receiver which only accepts a analog signal. I for one like to have the sound on in the garage when i go for a beer or a smoke, let alone any other room in the house, or maybe the backyard where i have a clear shot of the plasma.

No simultansous output is really gonna suck.
webboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:12 AM   #100
feldon23
MythBuster

Nobody said you won't get analog and digital audio at the same time. We're talking about video.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #101
enodev

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
The capability of disabling analog output of high definition signals is present in HDCP, but 480p is not high definition. It's also not that the analog outputs would be completely disabled in such cases, but that the resolution would be reduced from high definition in such cases.
Ok thanks. I was not sure what TiVo considered HD. I believe 480p is considered Enhanced Def (EDTV.) People have different opinions on what true HD res is. 720p & 1080i is what I consider HD. Oh, this may open a can of worms!
Old 01-07-2004, 03:24 PM   #102
Bigg

enodev: your right. feldon 23: thanks for reminding him.
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:51 PM   #103
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Can you add a link under the :
"What hardware do I need for local digital/HDTV channels?"
To the avsforum, Local Reception Forum... Similar to what you did for the HDTV programming section
Old 01-07-2004, 04:10 PM   #104
feldon23
MythBuster

Done. And updated the FAQ for CBS O&O news and switchable aspect ratio.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #105
BizarroTerl

Does the HDTivo support discrete on/off codes (for remote programming)?
BizarroTerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #106
feldon23
MythBuster

I don't think we'll know this until it comes out. Keep in mind that TiVos are designed to stay on 24/7.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #107
BizarroTerl

I realize that. I'm referring to standby mode. I've been waiting for a HDTivo for a couple years now. I guess I can hold on for a few more months.
BizarroTerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:21 AM   #108
BrettStah

BizarroTerl, I know this came up recently in another Tivo-related thread with you, but I don't remember exactly what purpose you have to want to switch to and from standby mode on the DirecTV/HD-Tivo so often...

Old 01-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #109
dvdude

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
BizarroTerl, I know this came up recently in another Tivo-related thread with you, but I don't remember exactly what purpose you have to want to switch to and from standby mode on the DirecTV/HD-Tivo so often...
It's my understanding that some video equipment will automatically switch inputs based on the presence/absence of a signal. So one might want to be able to shut off TiVo's output for this.

I have to admit, I do bring my boxes in and out of standby regularly, but not for the reason stated above. First, it just feels right (I know, I know) but also, in the last few minutes before I leave for work, I'm too busy to concentrate on the TV. Because I leave turning the gear off as my last task, I can catch up with those last few minutes when I get home by rewinding the buffer (remembering not to change channels of course). I have a theory also about disk drive wear and constantly recording the buffer 24/7 but it's only a theory. Finally, my machine is cooler when in standby and probably consumes a couple of watts less.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #110
Zathrus

Quote:
I have a theory also about disk drive wear and constantly recording the buffer 24/7
You can theorize all you like, but the buffers are still recorded when in standby.

All standby does is turn off the front LED and enable pass-through mode on the coax input/output. The TiVo will also record more suggestions because it knows you're not watching, but there is no significant power savings (<0.1W for the LED) and the hard drives continue recording.
Zathrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:59 AM   #111
dvdude

Quote:
Originally posted by Zathrus
You can theorize all you like, but the buffers are still recorded when in standby.

All standby does is turn off the front LED and enable pass-through mode on the coax input/output. The TiVo will also record more suggestions because it knows you're not watching, but there is no significant power savings (<0.1W for the LED) and the hard drives continue recording.
Erm NO - The SAT-T60's definitely do NOT work the way you suggest
Old 01-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #112
BrettStah

No buffering in standby mode on my DirecTivos either...

Old 01-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #113
kwerner

The no simultaneous analog & HD output does suck. I was hoping we'd be beyond this now, my older HD DirecTV receiver doesn't have it.

What if I want to send the analog video to another room via a wireless video sender, or through modulated output to coax wires in my house(does it have modulated output?)? What if I want to copy a show onto CD/DVD to save it or let a friend watch a show he missed??? Currently I do this via SVideo to my HTPC. What if the scaler(?) in the HDTiVo isn't very good and I want to use an external one for SD content?

Otherwise it sounds great!!! If anyone finds out how to get an pre-order let us know.

kwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:47 PM   #114
Bigg

Your TV or receiver may be able to do this. I'm not too sure. It would only be the higher end ones if it is possible.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #115
JTAnderson

Does anyone know whether it will record the entire transport stream for OTA channels or only the data for the subchannel you want to record? (And, will it strip null packets to save disk space?)
JTAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #116
hongcho

Only the subchannel. I am not sure about the null packets.

Hong.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:05 AM   #117
nabsltd

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
When the signal is flagged as protected, you'll get HD output on HDCP-compatible DVI/HDMI outputs, but all other outputs will become 480i (or maybe it's 480p in the case of component) showing downconverted video.
This second part is unlikely. For OTA, anyway, component is one of the specifically-permitted-at-all-times HD outputs in the FCC broadcast flag ruling.

Secondly, since cable companies are forbidded to down-res on component as part of the plug-and-play cable ruling, I highly doubt that DirecTV (or any other satellite provider) would be allowed to.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 02:14 AM   #118
rogo

Actually, the bizarre part of the plug and play rules is that >>if<< DirecTV or Dish >>is<< allowed to down rez, then cable can too.

It's all very unlikely to come to pass, though.
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #119
Todd76

Re: ** HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ **

Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
Next month, DirecTV will offer national easy and west coast CBS and Fox feeds to all those who qualify.
Great FAQ! I think you mean "east" rather than "easy."
Todd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #120
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Re: ** HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ **

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd76
Great FAQ! I think you mean "east" rather than "easy."
feldon23, as a resident of middle of the United States, has only heard stories about the eastern United States and simply experienced a moment of wishful thinking.