TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2003, 07:35 PM   #31
DMc

Just an Idea

If you know the address of your Tivoweb server you could try accessing it via "Open URL" on http://wap.google.com
This processes any HTML page for your wap phone. You can follow links, but you cannot type anything into data entry boxes.

( I haven't got TivoWeb so I can't try it out)
DMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:16 PM   #32
Bakdraft
November 2000

Any News??

Hi,

Graf, ( if you are out there ) any news on any further developments????

The WAP idea is the best , most useful thing to hit th forum in ages, far more exciting than the much loved Red Dot Removal" and screen flicker reduction

I know its hard work, but I value your (and anyone elses) work in this are

Dave
TIVO #1 - 120GB - user since Nov2000
TIVO #2 - unmodded

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bakdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:53 PM   #33
Milhouse

Bakdraft - I'm interested in both of these developments, although as an analogue cable viewer removal of the red dot is not really the issue - the potential ability to have an intelligent IR blaster at my full disposal is quite intriguing!

I'd be interested to see a WAP interface for TiVoWeb, but have to admit that I'm using the remote scheduling far less than I expected to. Most often I need it to record a programme that's already started (eg. Monday night football when I'm caught working late) but with TiVoWeb it's not possible to record a programme already in progress! Argh, so frustrating!!
Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:40 PM   #34
bignoise

Re: Any News??

Quote:
Originally posted by Bakdraft
The WAP idea is the best , most useful thing to hit th forum in ages,
I first mentioned the idea YEARS ago, but nobody seemed particularly interested at the time! (Sniff!) :-)
bignoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #35
mbriody

Quote:
Originally posted by Milhouse
Bakdraft - I'm interested in both of these developments, although as an analogue cable viewer removal of the red dot is not really the issue - the potential ability to have an intelligent IR blaster at my full disposal is quite intriguing!

I'd be interested to see a WAP interface for TiVoWeb, but have to admit that I'm using the remote scheduling far less than I expected to. Most often I need it to record a programme that's already started (eg. Monday night football when I'm caught working late) but with TiVoWeb it's not possible to record a programme already in progress! Argh, so frustrating!!
What about using web remote?
mbriody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:48 PM   #36
tabascojrc

Did Graf fall off the face of the planet, Haven't heard anything from him in almost a month, I am sure he has other things to do besides just this little add on, but this is almost as bad as waiting for new information on the upcoming Ipod's.
tabascojrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:43 PM   #37
Bakdraft
November 2000

No... Graf is still about.

I have his beta version and am about to try it.

Dave

P.S. There's a new Ipod on its way? but does it compete with Archos MP4 jukebox?
TIVO #2 - unmodded

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #38
tabascojrc

Not to get off topic, but There has been a lot of rumors of updating the iPods lately, especially with the new Toshiba 40gb hard drive thats being released, and it is the same size as the 20Gb Drive, also rumors of a small video screen and some tivo like functionality. maybe like a portable video player. as for competing with the archos. I always thought the ARchos was a bit clunky, but i haven't looked at recent models or anything and you just got to love the mac styling. of course I am biased, being a mac afficianado.
tabascojrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:29 PM   #39
Bakdraft
November 2000

Absolutely no doubt about it.... the Ipod's styling... is well stunning..

but it lags behind the Archos... check out Archos

Dave
TIVO #2 - unmodded

Old 02-25-2003, 03:24 AM   #40
JamboRobbo

Is there any more info on this WAP add-on for Tivoweb? Would love to be able to use this, was thinking of looking into writing something myself but decided to wait and see what happened with Graf's code. Any news? Is it still in the pipeline somewhere?

Cheers,
Robbo
JamboRobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:09 AM   #41
graf
Hacker

Here it is - the long awaited (sorry) tivoweb for wap. You can download it from here http://www.bohemiannight.co.uk/graf/...l-beta2.tar.gz

Step by step instructions:-
1) Shutdown tivoweb if you have it running already.
2) Ftp the tivoweb-wml-beta2.tar.gz file up to your tivo, into the /var/hack directory
3) Telnet into the tivo, and cd to /var/hack
4) 'gzip -d tivoweb-wml-beta2.tar.gz'
5) ''cpio -H tar -i < tivoweb-wml-beta2.tar'
6) cd to the newly created tivoweb-wml-beta2 directory
7) modify the tivoweb.cfg to your taste
8) start tivoweb as usual (probably best to use tivoweb console).

It's essential that you don't have tivoweb already running (although I suppose you could if you used different port numbers).

This tivoweb will act like a usual tivoweb, reacting to requests from your web browser as normal. In addition, if you point your wap phone to
"tivo/wap_search/" (the trailing '/' is essential, and tivo is the ip address of your tivo) you should be able to search for programmes and record them from your phone. There is no facility for setting up season passes at the moment.

Note that you will have to be able to access tivoweb from the internet for this to work - existing faqs should be enough to cover this though.

There is one known bug, that causes tivoweb to produce invalid wml when a programme's title has an ampersand in it. Also older phones may be unable to cope with the size of the wml files produced.

Please let me know how you get on, and remember that this is beta software so use it at your own risk.

Cheers.

Last edited by graf : 07-08-2005 at 01:18 PM.
graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:14 AM   #42
JamboRobbo

Nice one Graf! Will give it a try tonight and let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Robbo
JamboRobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:42 AM   #43
mtg101
Speaker for the Dead

This sounds cool - I'll be trying it out tonight also!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #44
comdw

sounds great - keep up the excellent work.

I reckon the next most useful feature must be to delete recordings from the todo list or now playing - essential if you are away for a few days and happen to catch some programs you asked tivo to record (and you have a 40Gb Tivo with little space free).
comdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 03:53 PM   #45
Bakdraft
November 2000

Graf, first a big thanks for the module and letting me beta test it.

Is the version I have, the same as the one you have posted now, or should I reload this version.

Everyone else, enjoy it... it works a treat.

Dave
TIVO #2 - unmodded

Old 02-25-2003, 03:57 PM   #46
Bakdraft
November 2000

Quote:
[i](and you have a 40Gb Tivo with little space free). [/b]
Whoa!! careful.... Youre breaking the forum rules You don't delete anything!! record everything and upgrade to a minimum of 120Gb

Dave
TIVO #2 - unmodded

Old 02-25-2003, 04:42 PM   #47
graf
Hacker

I've just been doing some testing and I needed to create the tivoweb-wml-beta2 directory manually before uncompressing the tar file with cpio. Not sure why, but you may experience the same problem.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:04 PM   #48
Bakdraft
November 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by graf
I've just been doing some testing and I needed to create the tivoweb-wml-beta2 directory manually before uncompressing the tar file with cpio. Not sure why, but you may experience the same problem.
When I did this I :[list=1][*]Extracted the gz via winzip to my local Hard drive[*]Extracted the tar file via winzip to my local Hard drive[*]Copied all of the files in the Tivoweb folder to Tivo via FTP[/list=1]
This worked fine

Dave
TIVO #2 - unmodded

Old 02-25-2003, 05:07 PM   #49
mini__me

I use my tivo through a proxy to the net and tivoweb works fine when attempting to access via wap I get bad gateway or a similar error via wap on my mobile. Anyway I can test that the page is workin other than a mobile?

Cheers m8y sounds really great just need to get it working
Old 02-25-2003, 05:28 PM   #50
TIVO_YORK99

Note Brilliant

Ok, now this is brilliant. Thanks for your work on this Graf.

I can get it to work no problem on a Nokia 6210,
but I can't get it to work on my Nokia 7650.

For some reason, I can't get the phone to open the link
on the SEARCH word.

Anyone any ideas?

Pete
TIVO_YORK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:37 PM   #51
graf
Hacker

For testing, I used the free WAP browser from www.apachesoftware.com

I also used the w3schools wml validator to check that tivoweb is producing valid wml (it's a bit tolerant of things like ampersands)

My phone is a T68i, so that's all I've really tested it on (though I will test it on my nokia 7110 when I get round to it.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:23 PM   #52
mini__me

Thanks m8y got it working through that now to try the old mobile
Old 02-26-2003, 04:56 AM   #53
PaulK

Th is brilliant, my experience so far...

needed to add '--make-dir' to the cpio command as it wasn't creating the dirs - no problem there

started using ./tivoweb console - again no problem

first search revealed that I had to fix for UK genres - no problem

managed to search for a programm and schedule a record no problem

cant book season pass though, i get...

'Something is wrong with the page you tried to access. Choose another link'

Has anyone else had season pass issues?

Paul
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:37 AM   #54
TIVO_YORK99

No Season Passed

Graf says in his post that there is currently no availability to set season passes, you can currently only setup one-off recordings,

Pete
TIVO_YORK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:52 AM   #55
graf
Hacker

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulK
Th is brilliant, my experience so far...

needed to add '--make-dir' to the cpio command as it wasn't creating the dirs - no problem there

started using ./tivoweb console - again no problem

first search revealed that I had to fix for UK genres - no problem

managed to search for a programm and schedule a record no problem

cant book season pass though, i get...

'Something is wrong with the page you tried to access. Choose another link'

Has anyone else had season pass issues?

Paul
Yes, the code is based on Tivoweb 1.9.4 with the UK genres patch.

The season pass stuff isn't implemented yet - maybe I should have removed the link until it was done. I mentioned the season passes thing in my original post about the beta release.

I did some work on the ampersand problem last night - it can now schedule a recording of dharma & greg without producing invalid wml. I don't suppose anyone knows of any programs where the episode title has an ampersand in it? I want to fix and test the ampersand problem on episode titles as well as programme titles before I do another release.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:30 AM   #56
mrtickle

Hmm, good question. Nothing springs to mind. But what you could do is use EditTitle3 to change the episode title of something on your tivo to include an ampersand, and then test your wap stuff against that! I often fix episode titles using this - "24" on MY tivo uses the 24 hour clock , and anything with "honor"/"neighbor"/etc also gets fixed
mrtickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:52 AM   #57
PaulK

Graf:

can the wap modules be copied to my already working tivoweb-tcl/modules dir?

Or are there changes to other files?

Many thanks for a top app btw

Paul
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:03 PM   #58
lcsneil
Shrubber

Well I have loaded it up and it looked hopeful!

Tried using the M3Gate emulator (http://www.3tl.com/MobileDevelopers/emulator.asp?CID=)
Get to 'Search by title' and then it takes you to the radio type buttons "Title, Title Keyword, Keyord etc" but doesnt do anything when I select one of them and hit 'Select'

Also tried the Nokia WAP toolkit emulator (if it works on this it will work on anything) and setting the emulator to a Nokia 6210 (which is what I have) if returns ..... "Unknown file content"

One thing I found when writing WAP code was that a lot of Nokias wouldnt work unless you put

"X-Pad: avoid browser bug"

in the page header!

Bizarre I know

Neil

[And even more bizarre.. I have just tried it for real on my phone and it works... well up til the point where the item I was looking for had too many episodes and hence the page length was longer than 1394 bytes so like many Nokias my phone generates the "This page cannot be displayed"

Bah! ]

Last edited by lcsneil : 02-26-2003 at 01:07 PM.
lcsneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:18 PM   #59
maubp

Hmm. Something usefull to use WAP for... maybe I should start thinking seriously about a new mobile phone now
maubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:12 PM   #60
mtg101
Speaker for the Dead

I'm having a problem using this through my Apache proxy.

I can get to the main wap page on both a 7650 and the Klondike browser, but can't do a search, I get a 404. The web version continues to work fine.

My address for the tivo is http://blah.no-ip.com/tivo/wap_search/, using Apache as a proxy. However when I click search, the browser heads off to http://blah.no-ip.com/wap_search - note the lack of the /tivo/ directory. A check of the wml shows the line <go href="/wap_search" method="get">

Is it possible that the wap modules don't honour the "prefix" value in tivoweb.cfg? Or, more likely, have I done something stupid?

Cheers
Russell