TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 AM   #1
delgadobb

Is Cox breaking the law? (FCC - Cablecards)

In the midst of setting up my new Roamio, I was going through the usual headaches with Cox regarding cablecards. I picked up another cablecard & tuning adapter - the girl at the Cox store said they were out of install directions, but it was 'easy to find on the website'. Yeah, right. Nothing on how to connect the tuning adapter, all while they expect you to do it a certain way with nonstandard parts (I don't keep MoCa filters around; they give you one piece of Coax, but expect you to have 3 pieces of RG6, a splitter & a MoCa filter.)

It took the usual back-and-forth with the card not pairing correctly, then things working part way, then scheduling a tech visit because 'everything seems to be configured & the cablecard is paired'. Most channels were not coming in even after multiple reboots of each device (tivo & tuning adapter, along with them resetting the cablecard). They confirmed that I was supposed to receive some channels (DIY & Cooking channel, for example) in HD. Then the tech arrives today, taking 10 MINUTES to find the cablecard on the HD! He claims those channels are only available on Contour (Cox's new attempt at a all-in-one 'solution') according to both his supervisor & DC. Huh? I've gotten the speech numerous times about how tuning adapters are necessary to make more HD channels available, then they're not ... all this after three different people at Cox confirmed I'm supposed to receive these channels in HD. Color me confused.

Here's the crux of my question: Is Cox violating the law (or FCC mandate) by not making programming available via cablecard that other customers receive? I'm not talking two-way stuff like on-demand or PPV. I'm talking normal high-def versions of channels that I already get in standard definition. Cox has marketed that they don't charge for high-definition channels; whenever I've asked the question, they've confirmed that if I receive the channel in standard definition, then the HD version is also supposed to be there.

A couple of the channels in question are DIY (1348 in the local lineup) & COOK (1353). To add insult to injury, I have the Encore movie pack including IndiePlex (1296) & RetroPlex (1297). I'm told I can't receive those channels without signing up for their Contour system. They're part of the package to which I'm subscribed & I do get the standard definition versions (296 & 297).

This sure seems like extortion. "You can have what you want as long as you sign up for our more expensive proprietary solution." A subsequent call to a different tech support person at Cox indicates those channels ARE restricted to Contour. I guess at least they're consistent at being inconsistent.

I'm sure there are many people here more experienced with this stuff that can make insightful commentary. Thoughts? Suggestions?
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba SDH-400 330 Hr (Basic Life)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The Cox Contour HD channels are available on the Premieres and the Roamios, at no additional cost, they just work, nothing special Cox needs to do, as long as you subscribe to the SD channel package.

See bottom of page 4 for which channels are the Contour HD
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...l_lasvegas.pdf

Cox Support regarding CableCARD and Contour HD
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/suppo...2-000000000000

These channels are H.264/MPEG4 not MPEG2.
The TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD are not capable of tuning H.264/MPEG4 (most markets the Contour channels are also above 900MHz, many older tuners cannot tune above 860MHz, this includes legacy Cox SA equipment)

Here is some other useful info:
Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
JosephB

They are required by law to support all linear (meaning everything except on-demand) channels that are available with their equipment. This even includes PPV and sports packages.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The FCC rules do not apply or help, if the equipment is not capable of both H.264/MPEG4 and 1GHz tuners.

The Series3 and TiVoHD will never have access regardless of the law. Unless Cox changes the frequency and format or TiVo updates the TiVoHD to support H.264, both are not going to happen.

If you want the Contour HD channels you need a Premiere or Roamio series, both Cox does support.

The vast majority of Cox equipment, both Legacy Scientific Atlanta and Motorola equipment will never have access, they simply are not capable.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Bigg

The OP has a Roamio- so anything up to 1ghz and MPEG-4 should be available.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote