Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Justified "Shot All to Hell" OAD 2014-02-04 **spoilers**

Holy! Wowwie, wow, wow!

So much action in so little time. You know a show is good when you want it to run another 2 hours.

What was the body count for this episode? 5 {Edit. Forgot one.} 6? (Curley Canuck, Paxton, Deputy Sheriff, Elias, the Haitian, ...and Hot Rod Dunham by Cousin Jimmy (offscreen))

Once again, the writers have to have a seance going with the spirit of Dutch Leonard.

Art is a badass. Raylan: "See? I taught you something."

"That is one hella gun!" "I noticed."

I looked. Alan Tudyk's name is not in the credits?

"Mikey here is your hairdresser." "Step outside. I'll give you a clip."

"Picker," John Kapelos is really Greek.

We got the Boyd "susprize!" for Paxton. I think the blood spatter would show that he wasn't entirely in the bed.

I just knew that when Ava was going to walk tomorrow morning that something would happen. I figured she'd be killed. So who is behind Eva getting set up?

"Art, the agent at the airport wasn't Barkley." I think Art knew. Raylan, you couldda kept that to yourself.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-05-2014 at 12:37 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I suppose the Littlest Storm Trooper doesn't have a clue that he really did commit suicide when he stabbed himself...
Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Hate to see the Haitian go like that! Was looking forward to seeing more of his character.

I'm very curious to find out where they are going with the Kendal Crowe storyline.

Art was awesome every second he was on the screen.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post

We got the Boyd "susprize!" for Paxton. I think the blood spatter would show that he wasn't entirely in the bed.
It'llshow he was sitting on the edge of the bed.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Langree
The Gimp

I think Kendall will end up killing a Crowe with that 12 step move.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

"Damn! You blew out my ears."

If Picker knew where Elias was holed up, why didn't he move on him? Elias was looking to take Picker out.

I know. Art interrupted and took Picker away, but Elias knew about the breakfast meet. Was he supposed to meet with the crew there?

I mixed up Elias and the other Canadian thug played by Dave Foley. I was thinking that Elias was the other Canadian. Now it makes more sense why the Will Sasso Canadian didn't know him.

Nice recap and review here:

http://boingboing.net/2014/02/05/a-b...ml#more-285453
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-05-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I suppose the Littlest Storm Trooper doesn't have a clue that he really did commit suicide when he stabbed himself...
His "suicide note" confession should exonerate Ava
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

"When you start using words like that, it's time to go"

"You mean time to go look it up?"

"Raylan, you're a d**k!"

"I'm a d**k, but you're a kiss-ass"

.... Later.

"You can kiss my ass any time!"

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
philw1776

Any Art centric episode is pure gold.

Art - I'm going to have a diet 7-Up

Picker - I'll have one too, Princess.

Art - You can suck the can when I'm done.

and his "I'll give you 10 seconds" Raylan imitation was hilarious especially with Jere Burns' reply

The Haitian actor wanted off the show; didn't like the role. Too bad as I enjoyed his character more than this season's new murder of Crowes
Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
DavidJL

That was a good half a season worth of action in one episode.

I'll always love Wash(Firefly) the best, but gotta love bad-ass Alan Tudyk here and in Dollhouse. Wish we were going to see more.

And with Raylan and Boyd and Tudyk's character and others and still Art manages to surprise me as my favorite bad-ass of the bunch.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
jeepair

No way Tudyk's character should have missed, firing first and without Art or Raylan knowing.

Also wish they didn't show the Haitian flying 10 feet from the shotgun blast. If he just fell flat on his back, it would have been better.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
No way Tudyk's character should have missed, firing first and without Art or Raylan knowing.
Yeah, especially with an AA12. Unless he was firing slugs AND was a bad shot, Art and Raylan should have been at least peppered.

--Carlos V.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
What was the body count for this episode? 5 {Edit. Forgot one.} 6? (Curley Canuck, Paxton, Deputy Sheriff, Elias, the Haitian, ...and Hot Rod Dunham by Cousin Jimmy (offscreen))
I don't know if we can be sure Dunham is dead. It looks bad for him, absolutely, but it's possible Jimmy wants to use him to lure Boyd into a trap or something, rather than kill him immediately.

Quote:
I just knew that when Ava was going to walk tomorrow morning that something would happen. I figured she'd be killed. So who is behind Eva getting set up?
I knew something would go wrong, too. At first I thought the guard did it himself, but surely he wouldn't be so brazen without backup.

Quote:
"Art, the agent at the airport wasn't Barkley." I think Art knew. Raylan, you couldda kept that to yourself.
See, I read this differently. At first I thought Art was trying to find the bad apple federal guy and that's why he's heading to Detroit, etc. It seemed to me he must suspect it was Raylan at the airport and that confused me since it seemed like he was out to get Raylan which didn't seem in character.

But after the exchange of looks just before Raylan "confessed", I now think Art was tracking down those rumors to make sure he could control the story and protect Raylan (unless Raylan was really on the take, but I'm sure Art knew he wasn't). I'm betting Art knew it wasn't the FBI guy, that's why he said "unless there's something else" like that. I'm not sure how Art convinced Picker to lie about it, but they had plenty of time to come to an agreement before the lawyers showed up.

I don't think Raylan gave anything away by saying that, and in fact I bet he felt obliged to come clean to Art after what Art did for him.

Of course, Picker is still out there somewhere... but he's on the record blaming someone else so if he changes his story later it's not very believable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
If Marcos hadn't used that gun much, he might have not been used to it and the first shots would have been far wide. The entire thing was nuts, though: he must have known Theo was in one of those containers, so what's he doing shooting the heck out of them with an elephant gun?!?!

Last edited by madscientist : 02-06-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Elias -> Theo (too much PoI?)
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

If Marcos hadn't used that gun much, he might have not been used to it and the first shots would have been far wide.
This is all explained away with "it's in the script", but Marcos' gun was a full auto shotgun at relatively close range. Hard to miss.

--Carlos V.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
See, I read this differently. At first I thought Art was trying to find the bad apple federal guy and that's why he's heading to Detroit, etc. It seemed to me he must suspect it was Raylan at the airport and that confused me since it seemed like he was out to get Raylan which didn't seem in character.

But after the exchange of looks just before Raylan "confessed", I now think Art was tracking down those rumors to make sure he could control the story and protect Raylan (unless Raylan was really on the take, but I'm sure Art knew he wasn't). I'm betting Art knew it wasn't the FBI guy, that's why he said "unless there's something else" like that. I'm not sure how Art convinced Picker to lie about it, but they had plenty of time to come to an agreement before the lawyers showed up.
Art has threatened Raylan many times. Givens has caused him as much trouble as he's done him good. Maybe next week will prove me wrong, but I think Art was quite prepared to throw the book at Raylan if Raylan's involvement had come out. Picker lied because Raylan threatened him into it.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #16
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Any Art centric episode is pure gold.

Art - I'm going to have a diet 7-Up

Picker - I'll have one too, Princess.

Art - You can suck the can when I'm done.

and his "I'll give you 10 seconds" Raylan imitation was hilarious especially with Jere Burns' reply

The Haitian actor wanted off the show; didn't like the role. Too bad as I enjoyed his character more than this season's new murder of Crowes
I see what you did there!
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #17
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Art has threatened Raylan many times. Givens has caused him as much trouble as he's done him good. Maybe next week will prove me wrong, but I think Art was quite prepared to throw the book at Raylan if Raylan's involvement had come out. Picker lied because Raylan threatened him into it.
???

Last scene, Raylan lets Art know that the Feeb was NOT the witness as Picker had said and that he (Rayland) has personal knowledge of who was there.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...If Marcos hadn't used that gun much, he might have not been used to it and the first shots would have been far wide. The entire thing was nuts, though: he must have known Elias was in one of those containers, so what's he doing shooting the heck out of them with an elephant gun?!?!
Theo! Why didn't Theo hit the deck when the bullets started flying. It also bugs me that his airliner seat was pointed the wrong way.

I don't think we heard before that Theo had health problems. When we saw him he was lounging at the pool in Miami.

What clued in Art "...unless he's still here...!!!"?
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #19
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

"There is only one US Marshall in Kentucky. I'm the Chief Deputy Marshall."

Why haven't we ever met Art's boss, THE US Marshall of Kentucky?
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #20
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Hate to see the Haitian go like that! Was looking forward to seeing more of his character.
That was my overwhelming thought when the episode ended.

He was such a great character. Dark, mysterious, scary... I thought he might easily become the mastermind behind the Crowe Reign of Terror in Harlan County.

I'm bummed.

...and of course...

Is Hot Rod dead?
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #21
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
This is all explained away with "it's in the script", but Marcos' gun was a full auto shotgun at relatively close range. Hard to miss.

--Carlos V.
and...

He had the element of surprise. He could have really snuck up on them and easily killed them. It didn't make any sense, but that's TV for ya.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #22
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I think Art appreciates what Raylan does and almost idolizes him. He knows Raylan is on the up-and-up. I think Art will do almost anything to protect Raylan.

Yes, Raylan drives him nuts sometimes and makes Art have to work more to cover everyone's ass. And he wants Raylan to act more like the others. But deep down he likes the old school Marshall style and he likes Raylan.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #23
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think Art appreciates what Raylan does and almost idolizes him. He knows Raylan is on the up-and-up. I think Art will do almost anything to protect Raylan.

Yes, Raylan drives him nuts sometimes and makes Art have to work more to cover everyone's ass. And he wants Raylan to act more like the others. But deep down he likes the old school Marshall style and he likes Raylan.
I agree with you. I think he's out to protect him, and possible even setup him taking his spot when he retires, shortly.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #24
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I have to respectfully disagree that Art would ever consider Raylan as his replacement. Of the three Rachel is the only one I could see him grooming. Not Raylan because he's... well... Raylan. And he's shown caution towards Tim due to his military background. Rachel has had some personal problems but of the three she is the most by the book, stable, and responsible.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
I have to respectfully disagree that Art would ever consider Raylan as his replacement.
Absolutely. He would have to be kind of a moron. And he's not.

I think his problem with Raylan isn't whatever he did on the tarmac...it's that Raylan kept hiding it from him. He wanted the truth, and Raylan was stopping him from getting it. If he knew what Raylan's involvement really was, then he could resolve the investigation in a way that does minimal damage. But the fact that Raylan kept lying to him and evading him offended him, and made him more determined to get to the bottom of it.

And Raylan finally seems to have figured out that it's better to have your boss/friend with you than against you.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #26
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
If you'd seen the previews, you
Spoiler:
would see how pissed Art really is...

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #27
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Absolutely. He would have to be kind of a moron. And he's not.

I think his problem with Raylan isn't whatever he did on the tarmac...it's that Raylan kept hiding it from him. He wanted the truth, and Raylan was stopping him from getting it. If he knew what Raylan's involvement really was, then he could resolve the investigation in a way that does minimal damage. But the fact that Raylan kept lying to him and evading him offended him, and made him more determined to get to the bottom of it.

And Raylan finally seems to have figured out that it's better to have your boss/friend with you than against you.
I think the trip to Detroit was in part about Theo Tonin. Art wanted that feather in the end of his career cap and a simple day-trip to Detroit was very little effort towards that end goal.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
I think the trip to Detroit was in part about Theo Tonin. Art wanted that feather in the end of his career cap and a simple day-trip to Detroit was very little effort towards that end goal.
What led Art to Detroit was the tip from the FBI that a fed was at the Nicky hit, knowing that Raylan was off duty and nearby at the time.

How about Art listening to Rush on the radio? I guess the writers couldn't abide that Art'd be listening to Country and Western music...
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #29
philw1776

Quote:
What led Art to Detroit was the tip from the FBI that a fed was at the Nicky hit, knowing that Raylan was off duty and nearby at the time.

YES

How about Art listening to Rush on the radio? I guess the writers couldn't abide that Art'd be listening to Country and Western music...
Art is played by Nick Searcy who I'm told has been a guest on Rush's show and is a big fan. I think either Nick suggested this or the writers were busting his balls by putting that in. Hilarious!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
DavidJL

Yup, Searcy was interviewed on Rush at least once a season or two ago. Rush is a big fan of Elmore Leonard and Justified. Searcy was a great interview.

He gave a nice behind the scenes look into the show and described one occasion while he was on set, where he mistakenly sent Rush's radio show to his phone speaker rather than the headphones or something similar. He said Timothy Olyphant teased him about it a bit.

Here's the interview, spoilers for previous seasons:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...y_of_justified

Last edited by DavidJL : 02-06-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added interview link
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote