TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
alanpgh

Smile My TiVo now works perfectly, after a few adjustments. Please comment.

I've been a TiVo buyer since Series 1.
Bought a Premiers XL around June 2012.
Worked well in general with Comcast here in Western PA.

Had few natty problems from time to time:
(All Now Solved, some with work arounds. Thank you Margret, TiVo, and TiVo Community Members!)

Had intermittent C133 Network problem. Solved by using an Apple Airport Express as a range extender on my WiFi network. Perfect operation since.
(I am not able to install a direct hardwire connection between my router and my TiVo.)

Had a problem, known in the Forums as "20.3.8 black menu bug..."
Problem solved with a work around by setting my TiVo video out to 1080i/p only.
Works perfectly now. I hope TiVo will fix in a future update for those who are perfectionists.

Thank You TiVo for the amazing Premiere and Roamio!

Everyone, please feel free to share your comments, good or bad on this thread.

And most of all, thank you to all the TiVo Community members who help all of us find fixes and optimize our TiVo Systems!

Alan
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #2
unitron

How dare you be happy with your TiVos just the way they are?!?

That doesn't give us anything to talk about!

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Wow, sounds like you remained calm throughout your setup process with the various bugs and whatnot.

Other people have been frustrated as heck, claiming they were ditching TiVo to go back to the CC DVR when they encountered what you did.

Bravo for having the patience to stick with it. You won't regret it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
MrDell

Got my first Tivo premiere the same month and year that you got yours and I couldn't be happier! What led me to Tivo was the outrageous prices that Verizon was charging for their inferior cable boxes. I finally had enough and took the plunge to Tivo with lifetime. (My Tivo investment is already half paid at this point). The only minor complaint that I have is that I wish the Premiere was as responsive as the Romeo. Maybe in the future I will upgrade to Romeo and use the Premier elsewhere in the house.
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
alanpgh

Smile Network Outage Tonight?

I spoke to soon...
Tonight lots of people are getting C133 errors all around the country.
Check this C133 thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10000332

TiVo, please comment on outage above.

Also, to reply to the above, when i originally installed my TiVo Premiere, very few install problems. One reason is that I am a long time TiVo customer, so understand how TiVo works. Tho other reason is likely that my local cable company, Comcast, is knowledgeable about using the right types of cable cards. I live in Pittsburgh, PA area. The original install was quite smooth in June of 2012.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
mattack

It's really a shame that Premieres & Roamios are SO SO SO SO dependent on there being a network. There have been several of these widespread outages.... and I sometimes accidentally pull the ethernet cable on my laptop (I can't easily get wifi all through my house) which pulls the switch... which makes the tivos unhappy.. it really stinks.. Though ironically, if kmttg can see the tivos, it can still keep downloading from the Tivos.. So I wish the iPad app & tivo<>tivo communication were JUST as resilient as kmttg<>Tivo communication.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
alanpgh

Smile

TiVo App works great on my iPhone & iPad.
Of course, it really needs the network to work.
If I remember correctly, it works over Wi-Fi or Cellular, as long as the TiVo is online.

As far as the TiVo needing the network to work as designed, except for an outage like tonight's, the TiVo is close to flawless and has snappy operation.
Especially since I installed a Range Extender for my in-home Wi-Fi network.

Before the TiVo, do any of you remember what happened when the Comcast or other cable box Wi-Fi went out? What a mess that was!

And, one more reason why I like my 2-tuner Premiere XL:
It has both Analog and Digital inputs, so compatible with some older equipment.
And, I can even connect on Over the Air (OTA) antenna to receive local ATSC broadcasts, if all else fails. With some (not all) of the newer Roamios, I don't think OTA is an option. Can someone please confirm this?

And I forgot to mention, the Slingbox 500 I added to my system is heavenly and virtually flawless. Works on Wi-Fi and Cellular. Bought this Slingbox at a discount during the holiday Season.

All is good!

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
javabird

Only the Roamio (Basic model) can record OTA. The Plue and Pro are cable only.

See here: https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote